Hello I'm in a spot of trouble

trouble being
1. I played guitar at a very early age thus don't remember learning
2. I had major surgery
3. I left guitar too long and it feels awkward and messed up
4. I'm left handed, guitar teachers in my area hate me for it
5. No musicians in the area I can talk to
6. Internet searches epic fail

I want help on changing frets faster, bettering my fretting accuracy, help on doing upstrokes.

Its gotten pretty bad when I can only play one string versions of Smoke on the Water, Iron Man and the riff from Come As You, when I used to play BYOB at full speed and backwards.

Mind you I only have a Takamine D Series Dreadnought on my persons cause I don't want to damage them if I do something seriously wrong, they're worth too much to be messed up
I'm Left Handed, and own various vintage Fender guitars, my most prized being my 1969 Lake Placid Blue Fender Competition Mustang with matching headstock
I don't see why being left handed would make life any harder for a teacher - surely you can just mirror what they do if you sit opposite them?

Anyhow, I'm no expert but here's what I'd do - Go back to basics and give yourself a chance to get back into it. Slow down, and concentrate on accuracy. Pick 2 chords and practice changing between them slowly until it gets smooth and starts feeling natural before you speed up, and at the same time strum a rhythm using upstrokes for the offbeat strokes. If you've got a bit of a tune you can't play slow it right down til you can play it easily, then gradually speed it up again. And have fun
I took a few years off of playing and less alot of my fingering speed and fret accuracy

i have found this site to be helpful with licks and scales to improve...i spend time every day going through the scales and licks working on speed and accuracy...helped.

http://www.myguitarsolo.com/schedule.htm
First off, left handed is fine. There's nothing wrong with it.

If you want help with your upstrokes, all you can do is do them. There's no magical spell that makes your upstrokes amazing. Play chromatics with all upstrokes or with the accent on an upstroke.

I'm in the same place as #5. It's tough, I know, but I get by. I DO know if there were more musicians I could communicate with, I would be a much better player.
Thank you for the help but is there any kind of exercise to make the strumming fluid, like I seriously snag and slow down a pattern going up, like with Polly I recall the strumming pattern being d du du uudu on the first part, the two upstrokes is really messed up like serious snaggedededed lolol
I'm Left Handed, and own various vintage Fender guitars, my most prized being my 1969 Lake Placid Blue Fender Competition Mustang with matching headstock
My teacher suggested muting the strings and just making up rhythms to strum when I commented that I sucked at it - worked for me.
Quote by The.new.guy
First off, left handed is fine. There's nothing wrong with it.

If you want help with your upstrokes, all you can do is do them. There's no magical spell that makes your upstrokes amazing. Play chromatics with all upstrokes or with the accent on an upstroke.

I'm in the same place as #5. It's tough, I know, but I get by. I DO know if there were more musicians I could communicate with, I would be a much better player.

I know, I know, its a motion type thing thats the problem, things to correct the problem is whats needed, doing chromatic scales may help tremendously so I can and will take your word for it and try that in the morning.

I hope you can imagine the frustation of used to being top shizzle by upstaging Parkway Drive and have Winston, try and kick down a door to try kill you, and being asked personally to open for My Chemical Romance.

this shiznick is really pissing me off lol
Quote by zhilla
My teacher suggested muting the strings and just making up rhythms to strum when I commented that I sucked at it - worked for me.

Thank you, I'll try everything tomorrow, can't do **** when people are trying to sleep at 2am in the morning
Ya can with an unplugged guitar and muted strings - unless you're sharing a bed with the other people - then it might still wake them up...
yeah, I live with the girlfriend and she tends to complain alot
Don't have lessons, teach yourself, thats what I did and I progressed far faster than anyone else I know, personally, I think that if you have lessons, you just lear your teachers style, if you teach yourself from various artists then you will develop your own style.
Start at the basics, such as a G cord progression with steady strumming to get comfortable with the cord changes and your timing. you will find that your strumming patterns will fall into place as you practice and become comfortable with the cord changes. I understand your want to advance to solo's but become comfortable with the fret board first. I went through this myself as i lost part of one of my fingers and my hand took app 15 years to heal to the point of being able to play again.I've had to re-learn alot, I knew the cords but had to relearn the rest
Quote by LGSP90
Start at the basics, such as a G cord progression with steady strumming to get comfortable with the cord changes and your timing. you will find that your strumming patterns will fall into place as you practice and become comfortable with the cord changes. I understand your want to advance to solo's but become comfortable with the fret board first. I went through this myself as i lost part of one of my fingers and my hand took app 15 years to heal to the point of being able to play again.I've had to re-learn alot, I knew the cords but had to relearn the rest

+1

Re-learn basic chords like E, E Major, D, C, etc.

And you might wanna buy a scale book. I'd recommend the Gig Bag Book of Scales.

There's also another book just like it, except it's chords, not scales. It's called the Gig Bag Book of Chords.
Yeah, I got a **** load of chord books and scales, just the main thing of frustration that no matter where you go, things like books and teachers are hell bent on saying theres only one real way to hold a pick and to always to strum from the elbow etc etc or the technique fundamentals, thing is, I tried this for six months of trying to get back into guitar to no success.

I know somewhere theres exercises to do to the forearm, to bring better upward motion strength to upstroking, cause its kinda similar to training to be right handed if you're left handed, I'm amphidextrous, I do most stuff with right hand, but play guitar and draw with my left hand, so what I'm saying is, I'm at frustration cause I have stopped guitar for such a long time, lost most of my everyday use of the left hand, so I have issues with the accuracy and forearm strength to perform my old strumming technique, and I just can't go to playing right handed guitar because it brings real discomfort to me cause all my life since I first started playing guitar at the age of 3 turning 4 learning on a miniture guitar learning to play left handed, completely stands in the way of me converting over to the right handed guitar
hi,

quick update,

I've been messing around heaps with the basics and have been doing the "Caterpillar" exercise.

My fretting fingers are getting back their strength and accuracy but with all due time I shall be able to really pick up the pace on it.

And then I'll get my strumming hand back into gear.

any other tips would be greatly appreciated
Quote by The_Disabled
Hello I'm in a spot of trouble

trouble being
1. I played guitar at a very early age thus don't remember learning
2. I had major surgery
3. I left guitar too long and it feels awkward and messed up
4. I'm left handed, guitar teachers in my area hate me for it
5. No musicians in the area I can talk to
6. Internet searches epic fail

I want help on changing frets faster, bettering my fretting accuracy, help on doing upstrokes.

Its gotten pretty bad when I can only play one string versions of Smoke on the Water, Iron Man and the riff from Come As You, when I used to play BYOB at full speed and backwards.

Mind you I only have a Takamine D Series Dreadnought on my persons cause I don't want to damage them if I do something seriously wrong, they're worth too much to be messed up

Why would that matter if that makes them hate you then they are horrible teachers.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Well in my area, they try to convert you to the other hand, and they all belong to music shops that sell supermarket brand type guitars, all ****ty plywood, so they're indeed ****