Page 1 of 2
So, Pit, for my Tech class I have to figure out how to drop an egg and have it survive. But my teacher threw in a few different requirements. The rules are:
1) The egg has to survive after being dropped 16 feet.
2) The egg has to survive being thrown.
3) The teacher has to be able to stand on the egg protector without the egg breaking.
4) It can't be bigger than a 12x12x12 inch cube.

What I've thought of so far is getting some Tempur-pedic mattress or other foam, and putting it in an iron box.

Any thoughts? I know the searchbar would protect the egg perfectly, but I was hoping to use something besides that.
Quote by CoreysMonster
ask her if she wants to go out with you. when she says yes, say "well i dont want to go out with you"

problem solved, stalker problem 90% eliminated

Last edited by ReplayTheBread at Jan 22, 2009,
put it up your ass
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Hard boil it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I would imagnine a simple strong plastic box stuffed with padding with the egg in the middle would suffice.
Any restrictions on what materials you are allowed to use?
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
^Edit:No that didn't work

Use triangles and suspend it with rubberbands.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Last edited by 0RI0N at Jan 22, 2009,
freeze the egg then put it in the protector she will never know
Quote by Hypnotisation
I cannot leave this thread alone. I cannot get over the sponsored fap. Out of curiosity, can i ask how your mum decided to pay for your fapping material? Why can't you just get it free? WHY?

Quote by Jericho114
Can you suck your own dick also?
How about getting some Meterdycerol and mixing it with some custard and hypobolic acid in a Hyper Coagulate-Inducer, this should create an invisible matter called Dyroteracemol Tectoiid (DyT for short) which you could smother around the egg, this in theory could keep the egg suspended by defying the gravitational pull.
don't make the packaging too tight, but make sure the inner packaging is bouncy, just making the egg bounce on soft material, rather than letting the shockwaves crack it.

Maybe? :S

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by Hakanku
How about getting some Meterdycerol and mixing it with some custard and hypobolic acid in a Hyper Coagulate-Inducer, this should create an invisible matter called Dyroteracemol Tectoiid (DyT for short) which you could smother around the egg, this in theory could keep the egg suspended by defying the gravitational pull.

*waits for disappointed n00bs*
Wtf i eat my eggs,you guys are all crazy. I suggest making dippy eggs on toast with in instead.
Quote by Hakanku

If its invisible d'u reckon TS could get away with making it bigger than 12x12x12"?
A small titanium sphere =)
put a mini bucket seat with 5 point harness in there for ****s n giggles
Quote by mental_zer0

The fear of the clock became too obvious. got expelled.

Quote by jmilli2
Spread rumours that she is a jew. Then all you need to do is sit back and wait for the secret police to make her 'disappear'.

lol?
Tell him that you solved the issue using quantum physics. The box is permanently sealed and the egg is actually both broken AND unbroken at the same time.
Rubber!
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
I remember having to do something like this in high school...

we were allowed only to use wood no thicker than 1 cm...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I agree with the rubber band idea. Create a strong cube out of whatever material you want and the have egg suspended in the middle by rubber bands stretched form different points within the cube. They shouldn't be too tight though so that they act as a cushion.
Leave it in the hen

Oh, and I find this somehow appropriate:

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Thats the smart thing to do ^
Build a small padded box with a parachute. If it gets thrown, it'll just float gently to the ground.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Last edited by Rockingbird at Jan 22, 2009,
Ok, .. Whatever you will do for a box, the important thing is for the egg to fall on an extremity. Try to break an egg while pressing on both extremities, you wont be able. If you press on the middle it breaks easily. So if you can build a box that makes the egg always be in of a kind of ''stand up position'', even when you the box. You have way more chances of succeeding.
Hopefully this can be helpful
I'm a tone wh0re and a gear slut.
Actually it's the pressure from BOTH the top and bottom of the egg that make it so strong in that scenario. Not from the top OR bottom.

I suspect that the most likely breakage scenario is the insides of the egg being carried through the shell (and breaking it) by the momentum. Standing the egg up isn't going to change that. But a parachute, as mentioned,will slow down the fall of the egg and reduces the potential momentum.
Quote by zhilla
If its invisible d'u reckon TS could get away with making it bigger than 12x12x12"?

Maybe. But in my professional opinion, just because its invisible, the properties of DyT would still be felt if spread on thick enough, especially when 12" or more, as soon as a being was to near the DyT coating they would feel it, and may get wavey anti-gravity fingers.
Quote by Hakanku

I think this might be the most beautiful idea that I have ever heard. Does it have any negative effects on the egg? We're not allowed to alter it. (So no hardboiling or using wood eggs) Oh, plus there's a school rule against damaging the space-time continuum, so do you know if it would break that rule?

Anyways, thanks for the ideas everybody!
Quote by CoreysMonster
ask her if she wants to go out with you. when she says yes, say "well i dont want to go out with you"

problem solved, stalker problem 90% eliminated

Quote by ReplayTheBread

1) The egg has to survive after being dropped 16 feet.
2) The egg has to survive being thrown.
3) The teacher has to be able to stand on the egg protector without the egg breaking.
4) It can't be bigger than a 12x12x12 inch cube.

SOLUTIONS:

1) drop it from 17 feet - then it will drop 16 without before hitting the ground, thus not breaking

2) throw it; the rule doesn't say it has to survive the impact on return to the ground

3) this rule doesnt stipulate that the egg has to be inside the preotector, so your teacher can stand on the protector while you hold the egg, and the egg wont't break

4) doesn't matter
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
replace the yolk with caesium and the white with water.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Use a parachute and some jell-o.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
i like the iron box cuz the ****er will break it by that but u should fill it with very soft stuff and make sure the egg is up its harder to break that way and memory is a kind of good idea make sure its the softer kind and not hard
i had to do this in high school and i used a large empty peanut butter container and filled it with towels and foam and wrapped the container in duck tape it worked amazingly on the drop and the throw i didnt have to have mine stepped on
Gear

Jarrett Custom Les Paul
Epiphone Les Paul
Ibanez Artcore AS73
i had to do this too, what i did was i put it in a container of peanut butter, and put the container of peanut butter inside of a pillow, or something like that. it worked perfectly
You need to isolate the egg from the outer structure.

E.g. suspend it in some sort of sling, perhaps supported by rubber bands, to absorb shock and allow the egg to move independently of the rest of the structure. Once the outer layer of your 'box' or whatever hits the surface, the egg needs to be able to carry on and slowly lose momentum. If it stop as suddenly and forcefully as the box itself does, it will break through the momentum of the egg's contents against the shell.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Become a nihilist and claim the egg does not exist.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
SOLUTIONS:

1) drop it from 17 feet - then it will drop 16 without before hitting the ground, thus not breaking

2) throw it; the rule doesn't say it has to survive the impact on return to the ground

3) this rule doesnt stipulate that the egg has to be inside the preotector, so your teacher can stand on the protector while you hold the egg, and the egg wont't break

4) doesn't matter

Logic FTW
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by redsoxfan5150
i had to do this too, what i did was i put it in a container of peanut butter, and put the container of peanut butter inside of a pillow, or something like that. it worked perfectly

container FULL of peanut butter? or an empty container?

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by Sabbath-ologist
So if you can build a box that makes the egg always be in of a kind of ''stand up position'', even when you the box.

But... what if I accidently the whole box?
Page 1 of 2