read the list here: http://www.oscar.com/nominees/?pn=nominees

once again, this sort of proves how i feel about most major award ceremonies, absolutely out of touch.

main problems:
1. the best film of the year, Synecdoche New York, got 0 nominations.
2. the dark knight was not nominated for best picture. i didn't even love that movie, but it should have received more recognition than it did.
3. springsteen was not nominated for best original song for The Wrestler.

thoughts?
Th Dark Knight was an amazing movie. I'm just happy that Heath Ledger got nominated for best supporting actor
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
I actually think the Dark Knight got way too much recognition...Honestly, I didn't enjoy the film that much.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
we all know the real reason the movie blew up was because of the death. Seen it happen all the time. cough Nirvana
Last edited by crzywhiteboy at Jan 22, 2009,
My predictions:

Lead actor: Brad Pitt
Supporting actor: Heath Ledger
Lead actress: Angelina Jolie
Supporting actress: Marisa Tomei
Best Picture: Frost/Nixon
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

Quote by Jackolas
Quote by nightraven
the lack of RIck Astley is comforting

He'll make his jump to film soon enough. You just wait, sir. Next year Mr. Astley will be up for best male lead.

Anyway, It's good to see the audio and effects team who worked on TDK get a bit of recognition. I was expecting a directing nom for Nolan though.

edit:

Oh, and if Wall-E doesn't win Best Animated, heads will fucking roll!
Last edited by happytimeharry at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
I actually think the Dark Knight got way too much recognition...Honestly, I didn't enjoy the film that much.

you might be right, but those are really in the categories that very few people actually care about.

i was just bringing it up because most people thought it was a shoe-in for a best picture nom. don't you remember when it was released? people were hailing it like the second coming of christ, in film form.

oh, problem #4. Slumdog Millionaire got waaaayyyyyy too many nominations and for some reason, it was a not so good movie, will probably win most of them.
Best Picture will be either Slumdog or Wrestler

[edit] Well spank me silly, on looking at the nominees wrestler isn't there. Slumdog it is!
Last edited by JackalUK at Jan 22, 2009,
Actor in a Supporting Role:
Nominated - Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder
Seriously?

I just want Wall-E to win
Quote by JackalUK
Best Picture will be either Slumdog or Wrestler

Hopefully The Wrestler, and if there is any justice in this world Rourke will get the Best Lead.
Quote by happytimeharry

A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

Come on, Kung Fu Panda?
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Quote by nightraven
the lack of RIck Astley is comforting

Someone should make a film where after the opening credits, it cuts to NGGYU, then comes the closing credits.
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton

Quote by Jackolas
Quote by FelixJZ
Seriously?

They gotta have at least one black guy.
Quote by FelixJZ
Seriously?

I just want Wall-E to win
Haha

I'm glad he got it. It was a somewhat controversial role, and he played it perfectly. He won't win and probably shouldn't, but it's fun seeing him nominated.

I would have liked to see the Dark Knight nominated for best picture. It was over hyped, but it was one of the best movies released this year.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Haha

I'm glad he got it. It was a somewhat controversial role, and he played it perfectly. He won't win and probably shouldn't, but it's fun seeing him nominated.

I would have liked to see the Dark Knight nominated for best picture. It was over hyped, but it was one of the best movies released this year.

Your avatar

I'm a massive Huskers fan, if you're wondering
The only one I'm sure of is Man On Wire winning best documentary. I would bet my house on that winning.
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
Quote by Wiirdo
The only one I'm sure of is Man On Wire winning best documentary. I would bet my house on that winning.

i haven't seen that, but i've heard only great things about it. i'm going to make it a point to check it out.
Okay, I really liked watching Slumdog but it got this far?

That's amazing, how come I didnt see these types of movies in India before?
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
Quote by crzywhiteboy
we all know the real reason the movie blew up was because of the death. Seen it happen all the time. cough Nirvana

Bernie Mac died this year too, before the release of his last movie "Soul Men." You didn't see that movie get any recognition, did you? You know why? Because it sucked.

His death certainly didn't hurt the publicity, but the fact is The Dark Knight got so much acclaim and recognition because it was a great movie with at least one excellent performance in it.
Also, was there anyone else who didn't like Wall-E? I didn't find the relationship that engaging. And the whole 'humans destroying the earth' propaganda undertones were a bit too much for me to swallow -_-
I desperately hope Ledger gets the best supporting actor award for the Joker, for me he was the highlight of the film, he really never shined for me until that role, though he was amazing in Brokeback, but he was just phenomenal as the Joker, barely recognisable.

Rourke should get best actor I think, though Brad was good in Benjamin Button, that film was good but it creeped out a little, I don't think it should get best picture.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by happytimeharry
They gotta have at least one black/Australian guy.

Fixed!
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
Quote by lp345
Also, was there anyone else who didn't like Wall-E?

Probably not. Wall-E was Pixar's best movie to date imo, and the animation was flawless. I never thought I could love and feel sorry for a mobile trash compactor.

It also gets major props for not having any damned talking woodland creatures.
Quote by happytimeharry
Probably not. Wall-E was Pixar's best movie to date imo, and the animation was flawless. I never thought I could love and feel sorry for a mobile trash compactor.

It also gets major props for not having any damned talking woodland creatures.

Meh, I thought The Incredibles was miles better than Wall-E. I cared more about those characters than I did Wall-E and EVE to be honest

But whatever
I am useless. I have not seen ONE of these movies, apart from TDK. *Is ashamed* And everything I've seen about Wall-E has put me of it so much I don't see myself watching it. Ever. All the others are on my 'to be watched (soon)' list.
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
Quote by lp345
Also, was there anyone else who didn't like Wall-E?

I was pretty disappointed as well. I prefer Finding Nemo and Toy Story in terms of Pixar and it really doesn't compare to the old disney ones.

But nothing compares to the old disney cartoons. Wall E does deserve the Animated award though.

So, snubs all round this time. Sally Hawkins? Darren Aronofsky? Bruce Springsteen? Woody Allen? Sam Mendes? Charlie Kaufman? Michael Sheen? Dare I say it...Leonardo Dicaprio?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
It would be cool if Shannon or Downey win best supporting actor

but they'll have to pry the award from ledger's cold dead hands....
Quote by sneyob
Saw extended blue dick,
clicked X.

Sorry,
force of habit

Quote by Bmm386

There is only one solution. We need to bomb outer space. That should show those terrorist bastards who's who
Quote by Freaky_Styley
It would be cool if Shannon or Downey win best supporting actor

but they'll have to pry the award from ledger's cold dead hands....

It would be real awkward for them though.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
The Dark Knight wasn't that great but Ledger was brilliant, I hope he wins best actor.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by happytimeharry
He'll make his jump to film soon enough. You just wait, sir. Next year Mr. Astley will be up for best male lead.

Anyway, It's good to see the audio and effects team who worked on TDK get a bit of recognition. I was expecting a directing nom for Nolan though.

edit:

HELL YEAH !

And how come Iron Man isn't anywhere? I enjoyed that movie far more than The Dark Knight. The only thing that kept me in the theater for TDK was the joker. Everything else was just average.
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Last edited by X-Boy at Jan 24, 2009,
I really liked the Dark Knight but if not for Heath's performance it probably wouldn't be that good. Batman Begins kinda sucked. If Ledger didn't get nominated it'd be a bit of a con but I am not too suprised it wasn't up for Best Picture.
Quote by lp345
Also, was there anyone else who didn't like Wall-E? I didn't find the relationship that engaging. And the whole 'humans destroying the earth' propaganda undertones were a bit too much for me to swallow -_-

Haha, it wasn't so much propaganda as it was the ENTIRE POINT OF THE FILM.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.