I want to get myself a 5-string bass in the future (before I get my dream Rickenbacker).

I haven't played a 5-string before, and I probably wont get the opportunity to for a while anyway, but, besides the obvious (that it has an extra string), what sort of differences are there in playability, and is it an easy transition or will it require me to sorta relearn the instrument to easily incorporate the extra string?
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
As I always say, any problems are in your head- yes, there may be tighter string spacing, but that's no problem. The low B doesn't get in the way of anything because of where it is. If you can play a 4 string, there is absolutely no reason not to be able to play a 5 string.
I went from a four to a five as well. It's a little bit uncomfortable for the first one or two days, but you'll get used to it after that. There's nothing to worry about at all.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Yeah. That's one thing I've noticed, the tighter string spacing.

Does that mean that the necks width (from lowest to highest) is still the same width or is it slightly wider to compensate for the extra string, even though the strings have a tighter packing?
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Personally the transition wasnt all that hard. You will just have to get used to the lower string, and on my schecter Stiletto Elite 5 i noticed the other strings were a bit looser tuned in standard tuning (after the set up). But i use a dropped tuning anyway, so yeah. I didnt notice much tone differance if any. Hope this helped
=]
I started out on a fiver, and honestly it seems like it would be much, much easier going from a four to a five than vice-versa. The 5th string really helps out once you get used to it.
Nope, no sig here.
the 5th string is nice, but pricey. every time you get new strings, 5 extra bucks. seriously! ouch...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^ It must suck for guitarists with 7-stringers We only have to do it a couple of times a year. (or a couple of years a time, if you're me)
Nope, no sig here.
them it still costs less, not 5 bucks, 1 buck.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I just acqired my five string three months ago, and Im ready for the six string!!
I personally think 6 stringers look so gawdam sexy, i just dont know why. All BIG and stuff...
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Quote by PluckU
I just acqired my five string three months ago, and Im ready for the six string!!
I personally think 6 stringers look so gawdam sexy, i just dont know why. All BIG and stuff...

6 strings aren't bad. After that they just become monstrosities
Hi.
after my 5 string i'm ready for a 12 string Drozd!

.....no not really
Quote by 2112pk
thank you for stoping this RIDICULOUS argument.
and standing on the side of truth.
but your princess is in another castle
I started on 5. i really wanna get a 6. but i have no money. doesn't work out too well.