Hi-
Im trying to decide between a twin reverb reissue, a Hot Rod Deville 212, or the Modern Blackface Twin Amp. I ve only played on the twin reverb reissue and i love it! I ve tried out a super reverb, great sound and great breakup, but the 410's just don't go well with my personal taste. I like 212's. The only problem i have with the twin reverb reissue is its possibly too much power. Im worried about it being too loud. I have pedals that i like for overdrive, so thats not much of a issue. The Modern Twin, i like the sound of it, but i kinda like the sound of the twin reverb reissue better. Only thing i like on the modern twin is that it has the "1/4 power switch". The Twin Reverb RI does not have this. My compromise would be a twin reverb with less power. The Deluxe Reverb RI is the next 212 combo down and its only 22 watts. I played on it, didin't feel like it had enough power. So, now im looking at the Deville 212, which is 60 watts, which seems the right amount of power. But, i have not played on one of these yet. The super reverb at 40 watts would also be the compromise, but its 410's, what i don't like. I like 212's.
twin reverb
Quote by Hypnotisation
I cannot leave this thread alone. I cannot get over the sponsored fap. Out of curiosity, can i ask how your mum decided to pay for your fapping material? Why can't you just get it free? WHY?

Quote by Jericho114
Can you suck your own dick also?
I have a Twin Amp (Evil Twin) but it's definitely not the right amp for everyone... It should be noted that the 1/4 power switch just cuts the plate voltage to the power amp tubes so they break up at lower volumes, the amp is NOT significantly quieter, it's more so you can get the warmth like the amp's on 9 down at 3...

The Evil Twin is darker sounding than a Twin Reverb RI; it's clean is supposed to be half-way between the Blackface Twins of the 60s and the Silverface 70s amps, and it largely succeeds; but really the reason to buy an Evil Twin is it's gain options, if those don't matter to you go with a Twin Reverb any day...

The Hot Rods are voiced NOTHING like the Twin Reverb; a Twin Amp would be much closer... Your best bet is the Twin Reverb RI with an attenuator: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/THD-Hot-Plate-Attenuator?sku=481283.

Install one of these between the power amp and the speakers, it'll drop the volume and let you drive things the way you'd like without making everyone's ears bleed.
In order for YOU to get the amp YOU want, YOU need to play the amps YOU think YOU are interested in.

I have played through several different versions of Twins, the Hot Rod Deluxe, the Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and 4x10. They are all good amps. They are all incredibly loud, and they all sound different.

If money is an object, buy one of the Hot Rods. If you want the "best" one of the group, get the Twin RI.

If you don't want the loudest amp in the world, try the Hot Rod Deluxe or the 40W Super Reverb.

The most important thing is that you play through an amp before you buy it.
I just went to the guitar store and played on all of them for a long time. The modern twin amp is out. Now, its between the Twin Reverb Reissue and the Hot Rod Deville 212. But, i think i like the Twin Reverb RI. I hated the "more drive" channel on the Deville. The normal drive channel is actually alright though. The clean on it is awesome although a little muddier than the Twin Reverb RI. The Twin Reverb RI seems built better though and i kinda like the input jacks and knobs on the front of the amp rather than ontop. I think the Deville is made in mexico while the twin reverb RI is made in the USA. The Deville almost seems as loud as the Twin Reverb RI. As far as overdrive, i have pedals including a tubescreamer, which i like. And i like the sound from that much better than the drive channel on the deville. So, minus the drive channel on the deville, which amp do you think is more versatile for country, rock, and blues plus which takes pedals better?
Thanks-
Most people do not like the "more drive" channel, but that shouldn't steer you away from the Hot Rod. The clean channel is quite nice and if you're running pedals through it, it's easy to get a sound you like. Rolling back the mids on the Hot Rod will clean it up a lot.

The Twin RI is technically a better amp. Both amps are quite versatile. I think the Twin sounds better on its own. I like running effects through the Deville. I personally like the Hot Rods. I currently own a Deluxe and a 2x12 Deville. The Deville is just a little trashier sounding than the Twin in my opinion, and I like it that way.
The Hot Rod is a little harsher sounding almost more like a '59 bassman. But, i love the clean sound of the Twin Reverb and if it takes pedals well like you say it does, i think you could get more range of sounds from totally clean to totally distorted. Of course, "overdrive" is the type of distortion i like not distortion. With pedals, the Twin Reverb would be more versatile than the Hot Rod. Am i right? Being cleaner than the hot rod, then with the pedals you can dial in how much overdrive you want. So, couldn't you get that "trashier" sounding clean with the Twin Reverb with a little bit of the gain turned up on a overdrive pedal? If both take pedals pretty well, then i just assume get the Twin Reverb RI.
Quote by asdaven
I just went to the guitar store and played on all of them for a long time. The modern twin amp is out. Now, its between the Twin Reverb Reissue and the Hot Rod Deville 212. But, i think i like the Twin Reverb RI. I hated the "more drive" channel on the Deville. The normal drive channel is actually alright though. The clean on it is awesome although a little muddier than the Twin Reverb RI. The Twin Reverb RI seems built better though and i kinda like the input jacks and knobs on the front of the amp rather than ontop. I think the Deville is made in mexico while the twin reverb RI is made in the USA. The Deville almost seems as loud as the Twin Reverb RI. As far as overdrive, i have pedals including a tubescreamer, which i like. And i like the sound from that much better than the drive channel on the deville. So, minus the drive channel on the deville, which amp do you think is more versatile for country, rock, and blues plus which takes pedals better?
Thanks-

I have a Twin Reverb RI, and be warned; if you use a wah pedal that requires a high-gain amp to sound good, I advise against using it on the TR, because your ears will bleed.

Other then that, it loves pedals.
Stevie Ray Vaughn used a wah wah pedal on a Super Reverb and it sounded fine.
Buy the Twin. You won't regret it. Sounds like the one you want. IMO you'd be happy with either. They're just different.
Quote by asdaven
Stevie Ray Vaughn used a wah wah pedal on a Super Reverb and it sounded fine.

Which is why I said wahs that require high gain.
Whats a wah pedal that requires high-gain? I have a crybaby, which stevie used a little bit. Can i get stevie ray vaughn type tones out of a twin reverb with a tubescreamer pedal modded by Keeley? Can i just decrease the power of the twin by taking one or two tubes out? Or does the tone suffers? As far as the Deville vs the twin reverb reissue, money is not an issue, neither having a distortion pedals. The battle is clean channels of the two and how well each takes pedals? I do not need a distortion channel, if i have pedals that i like. And i wouldn't use the distortion channel on the Deville anyhow. The type of distortion i would like to get is natural power tube distortion, which i probably wouldn't be able to get on these two anyhow. But, then again, my pedals get the sound of that pretty closely, they are overdrive pedals actually, not distortion. Which amp would you say is better for blues and country with a little rock thrown into the mix maybe?
it sounds like you like the twin reverb better, so why are you even asking us which to buy? you said money isn't an issue, so just buy the twin reverb.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
My only concern with the twin reverb is it maybe too much power. Would taking a couple tubes out preserve the sound while reducing power? Or do i need to buy an attunator or whatever they are called? Im not trying to get break up but just trying to hit the "sweet spot" with the volume being lower. This is the only reason im still considering the deville because its less power, however i like the sound of the twin better.
Thanks-
i mean, either one is gonna be really loud. the difference in volume between a twin reverb and a deville is going to negligible. like less than 1 dB. an attenuator would get you to that "sweet spot" quieter with either one. so if you like the sound of the twin better, since the volumes will be almost exactly the same, i'd say get it
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Is an attenunator easy to take on and off? Like if i need more power? Without the attenunator, will the Twin Reverb sound alright with the volume on 2? Lastly, will pulling one or two of the tubes, will that do the same thing as the attenunator?
Thanks-
Quote by asdaven
Is an attenunator easy to take on and off? Like if i need more power? Without the attenunator, will the Twin Reverb sound alright with the volume on 2? Lastly, will pulling one or two of the tubes, will that do the same thing as the attenunator?
Thanks-

You just turn the attenuation down. Yes, it will sound good on 2. No, the attenuator allows you to set the level and pulling the outside tubes just takes it to half power(I think, I've never tried it). The speakers may need to be changed for higher gain stuff, I didn't really like them when trying high gain pedals through it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Well, half power, around forty watts is what i want. So, theres nothing wrong with pulling like two of the tubes? Then, i could put them back in when on full power. No, i don't think any of my pedals are high-gain. I like subtle effects. My wah pedal probably has the most high gain, but I don't think its "high-gain". Other then a attenunator allowing you to set the power and control it, is there really any other difference then pulling a couple tubes to get to the sweet spot at lower volumes?
Quote by asdaven
Well, half power, around forty watts is what i want. So, theres nothing wrong with pulling like two of the tubes? Then, i could put them back in when on full power. No, i don't think any of my pedals are high-gain. I like subtle effects. My wah pedal probably has the most high gain, but I don't think its "high-gain". Other then a attenunator allowing you to set the power and control it, is there really any other difference then pulling a couple tubes to get to the sweet spot at lower volumes?

They both change the tone a bit. 40 watts is still not low enough for hitting the sweet spot at lower volumes, it's nearly as loud as the full 85 watts. I'm not sure how safe pulling the tubes are, like I said I've never tried it so you may want to just wait around for more info on that. You may want to check this site out too:
http://www.amptone.com/
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
there is a change in the ohms of the output when you pull the outside 2 tubes, but i'm not quite sure what the rule is. can anyone else clarify?
main rig:

Quote by necrosis1193
I will get the attenunator if i have to. But, they are pretty expensive. Pulling two of the tubes seems like a more practical solution to half the wattage of the amp. Unless a attenunator would preserve tone more.