Page 1 of 4
I just saw on CNN that President Obama very recently signed four executive orders. One of which was that the prisons at Guantanamo Bay must be closed within a year, and another one bans the use of torture. It's great news.
Hell yeah!! Can't think of a better way to start his presidency.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Thats all good and all, I just wish he would fill us in a little bit on where these prisoners will be moved to.
Quote by Solteris
Thats all good and all, I just wish he would fill us in a little bit on where these prisoners will be moved to.

4chan
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
It doesn't matter if America still keeps Abu Ghraib and rendition going. When he stops them then I'll be happy.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Solteris

That is why he set the time of closure a year from now instead of closing it right now. It's something that is going to take time, but they will figure it out.
but....

what will we do with the bad people then

btw, this is so yesterday news...

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Quote by numinis
but....

Give them trials? Hell, charge them with crimes?

Uh, no, it just happened moments ago.

It doesn't matter if America still keeps Abu Ghraib and rendition going. When he stops them then I'll be happy.

We have to take it one step at a time. It's only day two.
He is also already getting involved in the Arab-Israeli conflict. I think he hopes to make a significant impact on the peace process over there and he is certainly working on it.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Solteris

Two words

BATTLE ROYALE
Quote by Spamwise
I just saw on CNN that President Obama very recently signed four executive orders. One of which was that the prisons at Guantanamo Bay must be closed within a year, and another one bans the use of torture. It's great news.

*checks year*

Thought we all agreed to that about 100 years ago anyway. Oh well.
Quote by Spamwise

We have to take it one step at a time. It's only day two.

Yeah, but what evidence is there of him getting rid of them? The closure of Guantanamo Bay Detention Centre was a big thing of his for a while, has he promised to stop rendition, and close down Abu Ghraib? I know they'll hand it over to Iraq, but I doubt the abuse will stop for very long.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Solteris

Several European countries, Switzerland primarily, are offering to take in the prisoners that won't be charged by U.S. courts.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Call me Charlie.
So no more cockmeat sandwhiches?
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by Spamwise

Uh, no, it just happened moments ago.

saw it on the news yesterday evening, when I was with my girlfriend, without her I wouldn't see the news at all

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Quote by Seryaph
Several European countries, Switzerland primarily, are offering to take in the prisoners that won't be charged by U.S. courts.

So, unconvicted criminals are still being locked up? Great lot of use shutting down Guantanamo is then.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by webbtje
*checks year*

Thought we all agreed to that about 100 years ago anyway. Oh well.

The writers of the constitution did 150 years ago. Of course a silly little thing like the constitution didn't stop the Bush Administration from doing what they wanted.
Quote by numinis
but....

Yep. And the big problems is where to move the prisoners too. Other prisons throughout the country refuse to take them in for fear of safety for everyone. Also, these are prisoners that have been charged of terrorism and are dangerous, also not to forget that they'd get killed by other inmates if placed with non-terrorist prisoners.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by freddaahh
Yeah, but what evidence is there of him getting rid of them? The closure of Guantanamo Bay Detention Centre was a big thing of his for a while, has he promised to stop rendition, and close down Abu Ghraib? I know they'll hand it over to Iraq, but I doubt the abuse will stop for very long.

The prison of Abu Ghraib has been in the process of closing down since 2006.

Quote by freddaahh
So, unconvicted criminals are still being locked up? Great lot of use shutting down Guantanamo is then.

No, those "criminals," supposedly cannot be released back to their country for fear that they will be tortured and put in jail anyway. They are being released to a European country where that will not occur. I don't think that Switzerland actively participates in locking up foreign terrorists, but then again, I could be wrong.

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Spamwise
The writers of the constitution did 150 years ago. Of course a silly little thing like the constitution didn't stop the Bush Administration from doing what they wanted.

Not having a constitution ftmfw. Things make more sense.
Quote by Karvid
4chan

4chan is a form of torture to many people
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
Haha, It would be kind of funny a year from now when Guantanamo closes noone says anything about where the terrorists were transferred to. They just "disappeared" Obama rolls deep, he cant be dealing with any extra baggage....
Quote by evening_crow
Yep. And the big problems is where to move the prisoners too. Other prisons throughout the country refuse to take them in for fear of safety for everyone. Also, these are prisoners that have been charged of terrorism and are dangerous, also not to forget that they'd get killed by other inmates if placed with non-terrorist prisoners.

It doesn't matter how dangerous they are; they still deserve a fair trial. There are segregated areas of prisons anyway. Where do you think they put child rapists? And President Obama will probably have an easier time convincing countries to take prisoners considering how well-liked he is throughout the world.
Quote by Seryaph
The prison of Abu Ghraib has been in the process of closing down since 2006.

Ah ok, I thought the Americans were just going to hand it over to the Iraqis and let them keep it running.

Quote by Seryaph
No, those "criminals," supposedly cannot be released back to their country for fear that they will be tortured and put in jail anyway. They are being released to a European country where that will not occur. I don't think that Switzerland actively participates in locking up foreign terrorists, but then again, I could be wrong.

So, it's just Obama effectively washing his hands, putting many unconvicted criminals in foreign regimes so he doesn't take responsibilty?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by webbtje
Not having a constitution ftmfw. Things make more sense.

Nah, I enjoy having a constitution. Bills of Rights ftmfw
Quote by evening_crow

He's the president, I'm fairly sure if he wants them to go to another maximum security prison, they will go there.

Many haven't been charged with anything at all and are being held more or less illegaly, hence the international disapproval.

They would probably be kept seperate from other prisoners.

I think that solves all the problems. Of course I'd like to see them formally charged then if they are found guilty, executed, but in a legitimate American court it has been said that they will likely not be found guilty, and thus they will be released.

EDIT: They should be sent back to their own countries I think, or a European country if they are willing to take them, its not like every person in every country knows their names and faces, switch their identities, release them in America, or wherever they want to go where they will be let in after they are cleared of charges, considering what they have been through.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Last edited by bob farrell at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by Rockingbird
So no more cockmeat sandwhiches?

Sadly, no
Listen to The Beatles, Pink Floyd, or whatever you want to listen to.
Dreams/Celestial Voyager (My Band's recording )
Live at Pompeii

Put this in your signature if you think coalition governments in democratic societies are f*cking retarded.
Quote by Spamwise

It's the constitution which lets people like the Westboro Baptist Church keep preaching their hate, and abusing gay people and people who've died through no fault of their own under the banner of "free speech."
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by Spamwise

Ingrained conventions on rights for more mfw, they get ignored less

Also no guns. Yes!
Quote by freddaahh
It's the constitution which lets people like the Westboro Baptist Church keep preaching their hate, and abusing gay people and people who've died through no fault of their own under the banner of "free speech."

I disagree completely with what they stand for, but I still feel that they have the right to say it. There should be laws preventing people from protesting funerals (as there are in some states), but they should still have the right to say it.
Quote by freddaahh
Ah ok, I thought the Americans were just going to hand it over to the Iraqis and let them keep it running.

So, it's just Obama effectively washing his hands, putting many unconvicted criminals in foreign regimes so he doesn't take responsibilty?

First, a man is not a criminal untill he is convicted. Innocent untill proven guilty and the like.
And secondly, this is not his idea, this is a suggestion and offering of the leaders of the European governments involved.

Quote by Reuters
The United States wants to try about 80 of the prisoners on terrorism charges. It has cleared 50 other detainees for release but cannot return them to their home countries because of the risk they could be tortured or persecuted there.

Last month, Portugal's foreign minister urged other Europeans to take in Guantanamo prisoners, saying such a move could make it easier for Obama to close the prison. Switzerland has said it is open to taking in prisoners.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE50K5M320090122

Call me Charlie.
Quote by freddaahh

Yuck, I hate Christianity as much as I hate Rupert Murdoch
Listen to The Beatles, Pink Floyd, or whatever you want to listen to.
Dreams/Celestial Voyager (My Band's recording )
Live at Pompeii

Put this in your signature if you think coalition governments in democratic societies are f*cking retarded.
Quote by Seryaph
First, a man is not a criminal untill he is convicted. Innocent untill proven guilty and the like.
And secondly, this is not his idea, this is a suggestion and offering of the leaders of the European governments involved.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE50K5M320090122

Well done Portugal and Switzerland!!!
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by bob farrell
Well done Portugal and Switzerland!!!

+2

Exactly.
I think he's also getting the person who organized the Northern Irelnd good friday agreement to help out the israel-palestine thing.
Page 1 of 4