I've just freed an old Sony TCK-60 cassette deck of it's parts. Got some very nice knobs, dual-gang pots, a headphone amp and tons of caps and resistors out of it, but I also acquired a power transformer.

Now my problem is, how to find out it's specifications?
This is printed on the top:
1-446-182-11
I I X Y
Made In Japan

And, perhaps more important, can I use it in building a smallish tube amp like a Fender (Vibro) Champ, or even a Princeton Reverb?
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Lauke_101
I've just freed an old Sony TCK-60 cassette deck of it's parts. Got some very nice knobs, dual-gang pots, a headphone amp and tons of caps and resistors out of it, but I also acquired a power transformer.

Now my problem is, how to find out it's specifications?
This is printed on the top:
1-446-182-11
I I X Y
Made In Japan

And, perhaps more important, can I use it in building a smallish tube amp like a Fender (Vibro) Champ, or even a Princeton Reverb?

Unless the casette deck had a tube in it, probably not. Tubes run on voltages that are higher than line (300+ V), SS stuff runs alot lower...that transformer is adjusting the line voltage (120 if you're in the US) DOWN, not up like tubes need.

There are lower-voltage tubes that were meant to run off of the 12V system in cars, so there is hope...just don't expect to be able to make a Champ straight up.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Its gonna be a step down transformer. So it isnt going to do much for a tube amp build.
Quote by Tackleberry
Its gonna be a step down transformer. So it isnt going to do much for a tube amp build.

couldn't you just flip it around, so that the current went in the original output and out the original input.

EDIT: you can, just asked my dad (electrical engineer), and he said yes.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Boogie Man at Jan 22, 2009,
If you want 1000v+ and a burnt out transformer, yeah.

If it's 120 down to 12, then it will step up in the same ratio.

I don't think that could be done.
Quote by ljohn
If you want 1000v+ and a burnt out transformer, yeah.

If it's 120 down to 12, then it will step up in the same ratio.

I don't think that could be done.

That's gotta be worth it. Video!!!!
Quote by kcdakrt

Hahaha
Burning up transformers looks cool, I've done it in class once

But yeah, I could've thought of that myself actually when I come to think of it now. Damn, my mind really is way off (no I'm not high, my life is more or less crumbling away at the moment and that's the problem, but nevermind).

The highest cap voltage rating I found in it was 50V, so the tranny should provide less than that. Say 30ish. That'd be stepped down from 220V, so stepping up by flipping it is indeed going to end up with way too high voltages. Too bad.
I could try trading it for a suitable one though

Thanks everyone!
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Good thing you asked before you started your house on fire, props for you on that...

A friend of mine was working with switch-mode power supplies for pedal use and he accidentally reversed the leads. Had something like 2.2kV on the output of the transformer, till every cap on the board popped like popcorn and started the PT on fire.

Fun stuff.

Quote by kcdakrt