Hi,

what do I need to use ASIO?
I don't know much about it yet, but I know that it is supported by my soundcard.

Thanks,
Alfafish
Download ASIO4ALL, it's the best ASIO drivers I could find when I plugged straight into my computer.

Are you using an interface at all?
Sorry, I was wrong, my soundcard does not suppoert ASIO :S
It only has something called 'S/PDIF'. Can I use that instead?

If not, it seems like I should get a soundcard supporting ASIO. How much do I have to pay?

I don't use an interface, I just plugged my guitar directly into my computer (line-in) so far.
In case it matters, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special Model (very cheap, I'm saving money to buy a new one)

/Edit: I just read on the ASIO homepage that it uses AC97 (I don't know what that is),
and in my soundcards manual it says "Activating an AC'97 Front Panel Audio Module:" and describes how to do it. Does that mean that I can use it with having done that?
Or does ASIO need a special kind of connection(input, don't know what it specificly is in English)?
Last edited by Alfafish at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by Alfafish
Sorry, I was wrong, my soundcard does not suppoert ASIO :S
It only has something called 'S/PDIF'. Can I use that instead?

If not, it seems like I should get a soundcard supporting ASIO. How much do I have to pay?

I don't use an interface, I just plugged my guitar directly into my computer (line-in) so far.
In case it matters, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special Model (very cheap, I'm saving money to buy a new one)

/Edit: I just read on the ASIO homepage that it uses AC97 (I don't know what that is),
and in my soundcards manual it says "Activating an AC'97 Front Panel Audio Module:" and describes how to do it. Does that mean that I can use it with having done that?
Or does ASIO need a special kind of connection(input, don't know what it specificly is in English)?

S/PDIF is the connection, not the driver. Most computers use ASIO. All you need to do is plug into the line in and it should work. You don't normally need to tell the computer to use ASIO as it's the default on most systems.

Did you install the motherboard drivers? They usually come on a disk and have audio drivers.
I installed the motherboard drivers from its website.

Now I also installed the asio drivers, and i can use it with my programs.
The only problem is that it has a long latency.
Quote by Alfafish
I installed the motherboard drivers from its website.

Now I also installed the asio drivers, and i can use it with my programs.
The only problem is that it has a long latency.

Did you try ASIO4ALL? They gave me the lowest latency I could get without an interface. You will always get some latency when you connect directly to the soundcard, it just was't designed for this kinda thing.
Yeah, i have ASIO4ALL. So is there any way to get rid of this latency, for example buying a non-onboard soundcard or something?
Quote by Alfafish
Yeah, i have ASIO4ALL. So is there any way to get rid of this latency, for example buying a non-onboard soundcard or something?

Yea, if you buy a soundcard that was meant for audio work then it will generally have low latency. I would recommend getting an interface though as they have near zero latency and the quality is better.

You can get a basic one for around £60 I think.