Alright, well ive been playing about 2 years, not amazing not bad, whatever, more to the point.
I can hammer on fine, like 1-2-3-4 easy, fast enough not screwing it up, sounds clear.
BUT
if i try pull of 4-3-2-1, i cant get it very fast and it sounds sloppy. (Basicly, running up the fretboard in 4's like 1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5-3-4-5-6 etc fine, back down...issue)
I want an exercise that targets that specificly, my 3rd finger is relatively crap, thats where the problem is, but all the exercises are mainly hammerons, i need something that can help me with pulloffs at speed and in time. also, when i play 4-3-2-1 kinda thing, each of my fingers is next to the fret (where it should be) except my 3rd finger can never reach...
Im currently doing some finger training exercises, but think i need something else too D:
Ideas?
I was the same way I could go hammer on all day but pull offs became difficult when I first started them because your going backwards so my fingers had to adjust to going back instead of forward. But then one day I just got it and could do it no problem so I dont know what to say to actually help here.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
think i should just keep runnning up and down the fret board?
atm im using an exercise for my 3rd finger and little finger, it makes my hand burn like **** so it definately works, just takes time
Try to first do exercises that work on making you use that third finger...I had a problem developing my pinky's technique, so I came up with this:

3 1 4 3 1
1 4 3

That basic shape can be moved anywhere on the first four strings, though you may have to adapt it slightly so that it focuses more on your third finger instead of your pinky...

This should help you "whip" it into shape so that you can move onto the hammer-on exercises...

The other thing you may want to try is just doing hammer-ons with two fingers at a time in three different intervals, i.e. 1st to 4th, 1st to 3rd, and 1st to 2nd in rapid succession both up and down and make sure to start slow to get the muscle memory down...

Hope that helps...

-TFA

edit (I realize that the formatting on the tabs screwed up when I posted it, but I'm too lazy to fix it...so basically the 3 is on the first string, the next 5 are on the 2nd and the last two are back on the 1st, beginning with the bottom string...)
Last edited by TyrsFromAbove37 at Jan 22, 2009,
If been play a yr n a half I never hag had problems with poffs but it took me a while to get my left hand fluent for even the simplest sweeps its really just a matter of keep practicing and it will just come