I figured this might be interesting, so at that, does anyone think that truly sitting down and listening/ taking in good blues music from great artists has aided there playing? without listening to It seems like it would be like trying to look up definitions without a textbook.
Not only hearing it, but watching bootleg videos and concert DVDs has aided me tremendously in emulating the finger movements, etc..

It is a necessity, in my opinion.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
Well, sometimes I'll hear a lick I really like and I'll stop and try to figure it out if that's what you mean.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Of course.

There would be no way to learn how to play the blues without doing this.
I've never sat down with a tab book or sat down and learned a bunch of licks, yet my constant listening to it, is what's formed my blues playing.
well how are you going to play the blues if you dont know what it sounds like? the more you listen to blues a wider variety licks and grooves and gonna get in your head and the only way to get them out is to play them. and you will find when your listening you will get inspired by a song.
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
It helped a ton, especially to someone like me that's relatively new. Youtube is a godsend too, for actually being able to see how they play
Quote by JilaX^
Of course.

There would be no way to learn how to play the blues without doing this.
I've never sat down with a tab book or sat down and learned a bunch of licks, yet my constant listening to it, is what's formed my blues playing.

Agreed, I basically leaned to play the guitar that way.
Quote by Moggan13
Can i please make sweet, sweet many love to you?
Quote by Voodoo Chile
Agreed, I basically leaned to play the guitar that way.

i'm still in the process!
Every musician who has ever accomplished anything does this. How can you play blues without really listening to it and picking up what other players have done to better yourself?
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
When it comes to the blues, it really is a necessity. If all you did was learn the blues scale and that was it, well, you might just become the next Kirk Hammett (without the wah). The blues has phrasings and such that you can't just learn from reading tabs.
Quote by Iceman 420
When it comes to the blues, it really is a necessity. If all you did was learn the blues scale and that was it, well, you might just become the next Kirk Hammett (without the wah). The blues has phrasings and such that you can't just learn from reading tabs.

Yeah, that's what I find with playing blues guitar, it's less about which notes you play and more about when you play them, which only listening to blues music can teach you.
Quote by Moggan13
Can i please make sweet, sweet many love to you?
Agreed with everyone above. I've gained technical skill (by this I just mean accuracy while playing) by playing from tabs but that's nothing compared to actually listening to good phrasing - otherwise how're you going to tell whether you're doing anything that sounds good?

I've got a friend who listens to metal a lot, and when he plays he's OK occasionally, but usually he just plays fast. He can't phrase, even when he plays something a little slower. I've tried to tell him that without being rude but what can I do. *shrug*
Gibson LP Studio
Epiphone SoCal 50
Sitting down and seriously listening to music is an essential part of the proccess of learning to play music, regardless of genre. In my opinion, anyway. So yes, if I didn't listen intently to great blues players and watch them play I would be about 1/10th the guitarist I am.
Quote by djrue211
Not only hearing it, but watching bootleg videos and concert DVDs has aided me tremendously in emulating the finger movements, etc..

It is a necessity, in my opinion.

I agree completely
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
how could you possibly play anything without listening to previous recordings of artists? i listen to music all the time, and that aids in playing and writing music
'Music is the best"
Zappa