I got some tabs of the internet and I'm practicing with them.
But theres certain parts that are just like WTF?!? how are you supossed to reach all those frets at the same time??

Is it just me?
your fingers will learn to strech I used to think I 5-8 was hard but Its no problem for me now.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
It just takes practice, when I first taught myself the guitar I though it was impossible to play a G chord, I had to actually put my left hand fingers forcibly on the frets with my right hand. Which songs are you struggling on and I ight be able to help more.
Quote by BassGirl182
Do your fingers really get use to it? It seems impossible right now. lol

Yeah it will seem that way but your fingers will get used to stretching after you play that song for a while. Its like anything else on guitar it just takes practice to master.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Practice is kinda hard when you get frustrated easy. I usually stop playing for about a week if I can't play a song.
I dunno, I saw a tab once for a solo where you were supposed to play the 4th fret on the b-string, while simultaneously bending the 12th fret on the g-string.

I don't think my fingers will ever be able to reach that.
When life gives you lemons, squirt juice in your enemies' eyes.
Quote by lowbudgetband
I dunno, I saw a tab once for a solo where you were supposed to play the 4th fret on the b-string, while simultaneously bending the 12th fret on the g-string.

I don't think my fingers will ever be able to reach that.

I want to see that tab.

/calls BS
Quote by BassGirl182
Practice is kinda hard when you get frustrated easy. I usually stop playing for about a week if I can't play a song.

Damn Im the opposite people say I have the patience of a saint or something like that cause i will take every minute neccesary to do what I need to do and get it right. I dont really get frustrated too easily honestly its just having patience with it guitar isnt something your gonna learn overnight its taken me over a year and im still nowhere near where I want to be.

EDIT: Thing is I know that practice=improvement most of the time so I keep at it cause I know im gonna get better.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by captainoid
I want to see that tab.

/calls BS

It's one of the Guitar Pro tabs for "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World. I'm pretty sure the tab's incorrect, but it honestly has a part where the 12 and 4 frets are supposed to be played together.
When life gives you lemons, squirt juice in your enemies' eyes.
are you playing bass or is that just a name? Anyway it will just come. After two years I revisited some of the songs I struggled with a year ago and they are easy and my fretting hand is still getting stronger and more flexible. I play bass and have small hands but it will come. There are plenty of songs just aim for ones that are only slightly tricky and ditch the impossible, they will be easier next year.
Yeah they get used to it for sure. Don't stop playing because you can't do a song. Do some stretching exercises and practice other stuff but not playing for a week will further hurt your ability to play. I learned this from personal experience; used to tell myself I suck and I couldn't do those songs but now I can and they're easy. Practice everyday.
@Phil star: It's actually just a name for right now. I'm waiting for my first bass to come in. I usually just play my dads bass.
yea, i'm just starting and i had that problem. i just kept practicing, watching videos to learn, and recording myself to make sure my techniques and stuff are right. and i found my problems, one being i always had my thumb sticking up over the guitar neck which gave me a range of only 1-3 frets, so i basically relearned my fingerings and moved my thumb to the middle of the back of the neck, giving me a range of 1-5 frets or so. and again im a beginner too so if im wrong dont hate me.
well dwayne, playing chords with your thumb wrapped around the neck is not a bad habit. In fact its a technique well worth learning. There are some songs where you HAVE to have your thumb wrapped around the neck. For example, Hendrix's Little Wing or Under The Bridge by The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

as for TS, what is it that you have trouble reaching? Assuming you're a righty, whats the highest fret-spand you can stretch with your left hand?
Quote by flea's trumpet
well dwayne, playing chords with your thumb wrapped around the neck is not a bad habit. In fact its a technique well worth learning. There are some songs where you HAVE to have your thumb wrapped around the neck. For example, Hendrix's Little Wing or Under The Bridge by The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

yes i know what you mean, but generally, when i have a reaching problem thats what it is, it gives me that extra distance i need. first time i figured it out was when trying to play the intro to heart bursts into fire by bullet for my valentine... and i just couldnt seem to reach until i did that. but yes i do change thumb positions as necessary
First off, you're playing bass which has a larger scale, and you're a girl, so your hands are most likely smaller than your male counterparts. So you could say that you have a little bit of a handicap before you start unfortunatley.

One thing that helped me to stretch more was dexterity exercises. You don't have to do them while practising bass; you can do them anywhere. Do you know the trick where you spread your palm out on a table and try to dot a pen in the gaps between your fingers without hitting any of them? That's a dexterity exercise. One that I think would be good for you is this:

1. Spread your hand out so that all your fingers are wide apart.
2. Tap each finger (and thumb) on a surface in this order:
-Thumb
-Middle Finger
-Index Finger
-Ring Finger
-Middle Finger
-Little Finger

Do this slowly at first and gradually pick up speed. To further clarify, by tap I mean like when you see someone who is impatient, they tap their fingers on a surface to show their irritation.

I hope that helps, poorly explained and long winded as it is.
I had no idea there were finger exercises. I have a habit of tapping my fingers already. I'll try it though!
I can't tab this, but play (on the g string) 12 11 10 9 (then on the D string) 12 11 10 9 (then on the A string) 12 11 10 9 (then on the E string) 12 11 10 9. After you have finished playing this, play the same thing but a fret lower, the gap will be slightly bigger and will stretch your fingers, keep doing this until you can reach right down the neck.
Last edited by hardrockerdave9 at Feb 1, 2009,
Bassgirl, give us an example in tab form of one of the things you "can't reach"
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by BassGirl182
Do your fingers really get use to it? It seems impossible right now. lol

They sure do. Try playing blackbird. It's like a fret 3-7 stretch. Took my forever to get, but practice slowly and with proper form. You'll get it soon enough.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.