I'm trying to get somebody else's opinion about what amps there are for $150 and under.

I like to play songs from ACDC and Metallica and a few other rock and roll bands if that gives any hint as to what I want to play.

But I also like experimental music like how Tom Morello does his effects on his guitar or like Buckethead.

And I am really considering getting the Line 6 Spider III because of it's price and all the stuff included in it.
Roland Cube, Vox Valvetronix, or Peavey Vypyr - the Spider isn't a horrible amp if you're just using it for practice purposes, but those other three are much better.

*Edit: Oh... and I see that you're new around here, so welcome to UG!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Roland Cube, Vox Valvetronix, or Peavey Vypyr - the Spider isn't a horrible amp if you're just using it for practice purposes, but those other three are much better.

Yeah I am kinda just using my guitar to play by myself..Probably the biggest thing locally is playing guitar in a Folk Group at a Church

Although it would be kinda funny to play a church song with a metal twist....

And thanks for welcoming me.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

+1. Welcome to UG.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well the Line 6 Spiders (as well as the Marshall MG series) aren't very popular around these forums, and for obvious reasons - poor quality materials, reliability issues, and just the poor tone that they produce.

I'm not a fan of the Spider series myself, but I will admit that the small practice models aren't bad for what they are designed for - however don't buy a Spider with the hopes and expectations of using it in a live scenario because imo they just don't cut it for live use.

If they are available near you then you should check out the other three amps that I mentioned.
yeah welcome
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well the Line 6 Spiders (as well as the Marshall MG series) aren't very popular around these forums, and for obvious reasons - poor quality materials, reliability issues, and just the poor tone that they produce.

I'm not a fan of the Spider series myself, but I will admit that the small practice models aren't bad for what they are designed for - however don't buy a Spider with the hopes and expectations of using it in a live scenario because imo they just don't cut it for live use.

If they are available near you then you should check out the other three amps that I mentioned.

Yeah I checked online and two of the three you mentioned had amps for under $150..Vox however did not...$500 for an amp head..

http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-watt-Modeling-Guitar/dp/B001KVW42K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1232654098&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-Micro-Guitar-Amplifier-Black/dp/B0012GJRPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1232653989&sr=1-1

I personally like what the second one offers but I am not so sure about the first one.
I think I'll just see what my little local guitar shop has. The owner's son is really nice so I'm sure he wouldn't try to screw me over.
Quote by GruntOfAction
Yeah I checked online and two of the three you mentioned had amps for under $150..Vox however did not...$500 for an amp head..

http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-watt-Modeling-Guitar/dp/B001KVW42K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1232654098&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-Micro-Guitar-Amplifier-Black/dp/B0012GJRPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1232653989&sr=1-1

I personally like what the second one offers but I am not so sure about the first one.

My mistake - the 15 watt version of the Vox Valvetronix is $200

Quote by Adam Loeke
For that price, yeah line 6.

Would you please specify to him why you made that recommendation? I guarantee that the majority of UG users will agree when I say that the Roland Cube or the Peavey Vypyr would be a much better choice than a Spider.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I guarantee that the majority of UG users will agree when I say that the Roland Cube or the Peavey Vypyr would be a much better choice than a Spider.

This one agrees.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Gates67
a valve junior combo is 199

In this case I dont think a VJ will cut it. He is looking for something that will cover a few different genres. With a VJ he would also need to get something to boost the amp and possibly an EQ.
Quote by Gates67
a valve junior combo is 199

A $199 wouldn't fit in a $150 budget..

Unless you're getting euros and USD mixed up..
A Peavey Vypyr 15 would be ideal for your needs, $100 retail.

It's basically the same thing as the Line 6 Spyder III 15, but better sounding and with more features and modeling. As soon as you have it a month though you'll probably wish you had bought something bigger. Might consider saving up another $50 and going with a Vypyr 30.
Saving up for the 30 is definitely a good idea, because when you get more money, you can buy the Sanpera and use the looper built in...
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
the spider would be ok, but for the same price you can get the peavey vypyr, which totally out does it.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Saving up for the 30 is definitely a good idea, because when you get more money, you can buy the Sanpera and use the looper built in...

Def this. Vyper + sanpera=AWESOMENESS
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by theoreticmusic

I'll go with that one then..

I'll have to buy online though, my local guitar shop doesn't have jack in..they had 3 amps..a Marshall stack for $1100..Way out of my league..

And a tiny practice crap amp from an Ibanez..for $400!...
Ok good. I didnt want you to get a spider since i had 1 and hated (i dunno what i was thinking) but seriously a vyper is really the way to go.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
if you want good tone, maybe a crate v5
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
if you want good tone, maybe a crate v5

*good tone with zero versatility and no effects. The Vypyr is a better choice as a practice/starter amp.

Don't judge me.
not zero versatility, much less than the viper, put it would sound much better too.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
It's a single-channel, single-ended class A tube amp...It's not going to have any clean headroom.
Sure, it would probably sound alot better, but it's just not a starter amp.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
It's a single-channel, single-ended class A tube amp...It's not going to have any clean headroom.
Sure, it would probably sound alot better, but it's just not a starter amp.

Yeah I wouldn't like that kind of amp.