Definitely a combo amp for home recording/playing. My main concern is whether to get a SS or Tube amp. I'll be using pedals to achieve my desired sounds. I play Avenged Sevenfold, AC/DC, Metallica, and Boston, a somewhat diverse group.

Budget... ehh.. try to keep it 400 at max. I've heard good things about blackhearts.

I have a feeling i'm leaving out vital information. So if you need to know anything, just ask.

Thanks.
avoid SS amps trust me you won't regret it. try a peavey valveking or an epiphone valve jr for cheap tube amps
I don't have any personal experience with Blackhearts, but its my understanding that they are have a very "classic rock" tone - which would be able to deliver the Ac/Dc but may fall short when it comes to the A7X.

If there is a guitar store near you then you should head down there and try out as many amps in your budget as you can and find something that you like.

My recommendations would be a nice SS modeler such as a Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr. In my experience, budget tube amps just don't come out as the winner when compared to some of the SS amps in the same price range.
Quote by soundgarden6742
avoid SS amps trust me you won't regret it. try a peavey valveking or an epiphone valve jr for cheap tube amps

Yeah! t00000000000000000000bs!!!! The bandwagon is getting old... Tubes ARE NOT the answer to everything, man.

In your case, like i_am_metalhead said, the Blackstar is a really classic-y rock amp. It will definately do AC/DC, but you might need a dist. pedal or really decent overdrive to push it to the more metal'y genres.

In this case, you will want to go tube, as you have *just* enough money to *probably* buy a nice used combo. I suggest looking for maybe a Traynor YCV or something along those lines.

EDIT: Actually, hit up your GC's used section. There's a Laney AOR in mine for 349.... I'm pissed

Also, like metalhead said, a look into the cube series would be a good idea. If it were me, though, I'd go for a Spider Valve or a Vypyr (probably lean more towards the Vypyr...)
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jan 22, 2009,