Would it be enough to have an amp with 2 channels ( clean / gain ),with footswitch ofc and then buy like

1 distortion pedal ( BOSS-HM2 maybe)
1 delay pedal ( Line 6 echo-park maybe)
1 tremelo pedal ( Boss TR2 maybe )
1 chorus pedal ( duno yet )

Would it give me like really a giant amount of different sounds to play with? But isnt pluggin in like 4 pedals gonna cause some sort of problems ? Or should I better just play with amp w/o pedals, or just 1 or 2 pedals ?
The amount of pedals you have will not screw up your tone if they are high-quality, true-bypass, non-tonesucking pedals.

But those will give you a lot to play around with, but then again, an amp with a gain knob and some eq knobs will give you a lot to play around with too.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Quote by ButterflyJones
Would it be enough to have an amp with 2 channels ( clean / gain ),with footswitch ofc and then buy like

1 distortion pedal ( BOSS-HM2 maybe)
1 delay pedal ( Line 6 echo-park maybe)
1 tremelo pedal ( Boss TR2 maybe )
1 chorus pedal ( duno yet )

Would it give me like really a giant amount of different sounds to play with? But isnt pluggin in like 4 pedals gonna cause some sort of problems ? Or should I better just play with amp w/o pedals, or just 1 or 2 pedals ?

I got the amp I wanted(Marshall JVM) with the intent to NOT get distortion/od pedals. Then, got my other effects. Now, I have a couple of overdrives in my rig(Catalinbread Ottave Magus, Big Muff) to give me more tonal options and it helps me offset the lack of multiple channels on my Rebel.
Yeah, like the other guy said. Buy good pedals. What you have listed are good. Don't go under that. Be sure to get descent chords. They don't have to buy Monster Cable. Whirlwinds are fine. Be sure to buy quality patch cables. Planet Waves will do. I use George L's for my patch cables. check those out. As far as range of sounds, sure. Be willing to mess around with the knobs between and during your songs, at practice. I prefer turning knobs rather than relying on presets because at different volume levels the sound of an effect will change in tone and perceived output. There is nothing like just turning the knob on the fly to dial in the sound. D
Last edited by Adam Loeke at Jan 22, 2009,
it depends more on you as a guitarist, not all the little gadgets you can buy.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
it depends more on you as a musician, not all the little gadgets you can buy.

I play experimental music, and I run around 15-20 pedals in my rig.

A few pedals (like the 4 or so that you mentioned) can give you lots of different sounds if you are creative with them.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
dear anyone who said to get true bypass pedals in this thread:

please stop for a moment and go learn about bypass. thanks

love,
jof

ok, my point is that true bypass isnt the end-all be-all of pedal bypassing. in fact, a good buffered bypass is often as good or better than true bypass. long lines of cable and lots of connections can kill your signal because it has so far to go. having a buffered bypass pedal in there helps to keep up the signal strength and such. now, some pedals with a cheap bypass will suck tone even when off because some of the signal is still going through the main circuit. however, a pedal with a good bypass system will not suck your tone and will provide that nice little bit of help for your signal. this is really important in long pedal runs. you dont need all buffered bypass pedals, its good to mix and match. but having a bunch of true bypass pedals can actually deteriorate your signal more than it helps it.

um, what was the orignal question again? ah, yes. basicly, adding more pedals will give you more options to your sound. some of those options will sound wonderful, and some options will sound like crap. good pedals you like the sound of increase the number of good sounds, and bad pedals increase the crap sounds. i would go for something better than the boss distortion and boss tremolo (mostly the tremolo) as those are pedals that wont be anything special. id say look into the voodoo labs tremolo for a start, supposed to be better than the boss one.
Quote by jof1029
dear anyone who said to get true bypass pedals in this thread:

please stop for a moment and go learn about bypass. thanks

love,
jof

ok, my point is that true bypass isnt the end-all be-all of pedal bypassing. in fact, a good buffered bypass is often as good or better than true bypass. long lines of cable and lots of connections can kill your signal because it has so far to go. having a buffered bypass pedal in there helps to keep up the signal strength and such. now, some pedals with a cheap bypass will suck tone even when off because some of the signal is still going through the main circuit. however, a pedal with a good bypass system will not suck your tone and will provide that nice little bit of help for your signal. this is really important in long pedal runs. you dont need all buffered bypass pedals, its good to mix and match. but having a bunch of true bypass pedals can actually deteriorate your signal more than it helps it.

um, what was the orignal question again? ah, yes. basicly, adding more pedals will give you more options to your sound. some of those options will sound wonderful, and some options will sound like crap. good pedals you like the sound of increase the number of good sounds, and bad pedals increase the crap sounds. i would go for something better than the boss distortion and boss tremolo (mostly the tremolo) as those are pedals that wont be anything special. id say look into the voodoo labs tremolo for a start, supposed to be better than the boss one.

+1 for the first part - I just posted this in another thread.

I disagree with the second part. The HM-2 is an amazing pedal (like most other discontinued Japanese Boss pedals) and is used by a VERY wide variety of bands. It's extremely versitile. Don't believe me? Compare Kevin Shields with Kurt Ballou. Yeah.

The Boss Tremolo actually gets a bad rep for no good reason. It's cheaper than the Voodoo Labs tremolo and is very steady/natural sounding. It's obviously solidly constructed as well. The notorious "volume drop" is virtually non-existant.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by xwearesinking at Jan 22, 2009,
Ok i decided to buy =

1x chorus pedal > Small Clone Chorus pedal
1x Distortion pedal > RAT 2 pedal
1x Fuzz pedal > Boss FZ-5 Fuzz Pedal
1x Flanger pedal > Boss BF-3 Flanger
1x tremelo pedal > Boss TR-2 Tremelo
1x wah-wah pedal > Vox wah-wah Pedal
1x Reverb pedal > Boss RV-5

Decided to stay away from delay pedals for a while, was checkin some out earlier but really dissapointed me. 7 pedals, probably like endless sound possibilities
I would HIGHLY recommend a delay pedal. They are much more useful than they may seem. TBH, when modulation is just used by itself, it sounds pretty bad. I would put a reverb and delay pedal at the top of that list for sure.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
+1 for the first part - I just posted this in another thread.

I disagree with the second part. The HM-2 is an amazing pedal (like most other discontinued Japanese Boss pedals) and is used by a VERY wide variety of bands. It's extremely versitile. Don't believe me? Compare Kevin Shields with Kurt Ballou. Yeah.

ah ok, i just figured the HM-2 was like the "heavy metal" pedal for boss. something like the MT-2 or ML-2. which arent very good. so if thats actually a good pedal, i apologize, i thought it was something else.

The Boss Tremolo actually gets a bad rep for no good reason. It's cheaper than the Voodoo Labs tremolo and is very steady/natural sounding. It's obviously solidly constructed as well. The notorious "volume drop" is virtually non-existant.

i actually dont like the boss tremolo very much, and i dont care about the volume drop. mostly because its only percieved seeing as how it does go to unit, but the ear things it only goes to around 70% because of the way we hear or something. i just think it sound very sterile and not-so-good (cant really word it). i much prefered the voodoo labs and the ehx pulsar over the tr-2. it just didnt do it for me.

Quote by ButterflyJones
Ok i decided to buy =

1x Fuzz pedal > Boss FZ-5 Fuzz Pedal
1x Flanger pedal > Boss BF-3 Flanger
1x tremelo pedal > Boss TR-2 Tremelo

Decided to stay away from delay pedals for a while, was checkin some out earlier but really dissapointed me. 7 pedals, probably like endless sound possibilities

mostly good choices, though i dont think the boss pedals are really the best at what they do. i wouldnt touch the boss fuzz, there are much better fuzzes out there, and you can build one for much cheaper if you have a few hours to kill. the boss flanger isnt anything special either, unless you get an older boss bf-2. the bf-3 just sounds bad to me. i would recomend an electric mistress instead. ive already mentioned the tremolo, so on to the rv-5. not really a bad pedal, but i like the line-6 verbzilla a lot more. ive been looking at a digital reverb pedal for a while, and the line-6 just wow-ed me more.

and i agree that overlooking delays might not be the best idea. delay is a wonderful effect, and i use mine more than any other pedal i have.
Quote by jof1029
i would recomend an electric mistress instead.

if he gets an electric mistress, i'll die a little inside..

I've been GASing over one for a long time
Quote by xwearesinking
I would HIGHLY recommend a delay pedal. They are much more useful than they may seem. TBH, when modulation is just used by itself, it sounds pretty bad. I would put a reverb and delay pedal at the top of that list for sure.

I second the delay stuff. I have about every base covered as far as effects and after my tuner, my delay would leave the chain last. Considering it's about the only effect, along with reverb(which you can get with a delay) that is in every song.

Maybe the pedals or settings you are using are too prevalent for your taste. I have no problems, with my gear gettin good still guitar-y soundin sounds.
ok new list.......

1x Delay pedal > Line 6 Echo-park
1x Flanger pedal > Ibanez FL9 Flanger
1x tremelo pedal > Voodoo Lab tremelo

I'm still not sure about delay pedal though..... I'll give it some more tries in the shop !
have you tried any of these pedals? i mean it seems most of us are throwing out recomendations of things we like, and trying to keep it in the same price range as well. but that said, i have different tastes than other people, so while i might like something you might not. it seems most people give reasons for what they like/dont like, but youve still got to try it out.
i have tried the RAT 2, RV-5 and also the flanger. (noone recommended the ibanez pedal, but i sort of liked) I'll give the other ones a try in guitar shop (prolly key music). And also if i don't like the delay, i'll end up w/o delay pedals for a while.

Anyway, thanks for all advice given !
Remember when you first started playing guitar and went out and bought a cheap little multifx pedal and it had a all those crazy sounds that were all pretty bad. Now, imagine that with better sound quality and that what this is gonna sound like, I have a feeling.

Either save a little dough(for now) and add pedals piece by piece or go spend your whole wad and leave some set aside, adding one when you start to get a feel for each pedal. I always kinda lean on a new pedal to put it through its paces, to see what it can do. You can kinda simulate it.

It can be an overwhelming experience staring at all those little magic boxes. How long ya been playin' TS?
Quote by MAYNARD

It can be an overwhelming experience staring at all those little magic boxes. How long ya been playin' TS?

This is irrelevant. The creative ability of a musician cannot be graded, let alone be measured by the length of time he has been playing a single instrument.

JOF - about the TR-2: Fair enough. I use it for subtle dynamics in conjunction with lots of other pedals anyway, so my opinion is probably pretty biased. I wholeheartedly agree with you on all other matters in this thread.

TS, the best way to go about this is to take a trip down to a few local music shops and spend as long as you can with every single pedal there. Pick one guitar, and one amp, and just go through everything. It seems tedious, but it is most certainly the best way to go about things. You really shouldn't be making lists of things you want to buy based solely on a few recommendations on a messageboard.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I just got a boss BF2 and aria digital reverb adr 1 for free...... flanger pedal is very nice, havent checked reverb one yet