I'm not sure if this goes here or not, but I'll try anyway, so I met this guy today he's a hip hop artist and producer, and says he needed a guitarist, I'm up for it, but I was wondering how I'd go about playing in hip hop songs? If anybody knows any hip hop songs with guitar in it I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Rage Against The Machine.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Look up the band 'N.E.R.D.'

I think that may be what you're looking for...
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Rage Against The Machine.

Yeah, he's not like that at all, but I don't know how to describe him, freestyle I guess.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

eminem uses alot of guitars in his music, belive it or not.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Lil' Wayne?
Quote by crazy8rgood
This, stockylachy, if i was a woman, i would want you to have my babies...

Wait...
playing "hip hop" is all relative. you don't need any particular scales or modes or anything. i used to play with a dude that rapped. i could lay down anything and he'd put a nice beat over it. (i don't know if thats the right word to use because i actually know nothing about rap, he just wanted me to play for him.) i would play anything from a chill acoustic beat, to reggae, to metal type licks and he could rap over it.
Check out the Flobots too.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Quote by bwalter32
playing "hip hop" is all relative. you don't need any particular scales or modes or anything. i used to play with a dude that rapped. i could lay down anything and he'd put a nice beat over it. (i don't know if thats the right word to use because i actually know nothing about rap, he just wanted me to play for him.) i would play anything from a chill acoustic beat, to reggae, to metal type licks and he could rap over it.

Thanks, that could be really easy, my other band is basically improv guitar so that sounds pretty easy.

And to the guy who said N.E.R.D. thanks I really like that.

Quote by denizenz

Check this out.
http://www.myspace.com/undergroundrealroad

It's a local artist who's also the bouncer at my favorite bar. Listen to the song This is Me, and you'll hear good hip hop guitar.
Also, the first song, Let It Go, I should note feature my roommate Jason (aka DJ Double Jay).
i don't know if i've ever really heard "hip hop" guitars, hip hop typically samples guitars from every other genre of music then mixes that with looped beats and raps over it....
Do a solo, if he's a good producer at one point he'll tell you to stop and do a certain part again, then he will loop that the whole song.

Or, he'll expect you to do typical power chords and pentatonics, arpeggio, etc.
Public Enemy uses a lot of guitars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVSGsdCVxmc

Scan for others. Not every song of course, but PE is always worth a listen.

Also check Bring the Noise with PE and Anthrax.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
There's a local band in Canberra, Australia. They play Aussie hip-hop and have a full band, including your much desired guitar inspiration. Oh, and they're awesome. Here's some links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU68XQJpciQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u87mtxt5wnk

Otherwise the band "The Roots" also are hip-hop with a full band. Here's a link to their biggest hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqi5P4gAvSY&feature=PlayList&p=087C2CC548A77750&index=0&playnext=1
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
How has no one mentioned the Roots yet? Captain Kirk is one of my favorite guitar players, out of any genre.

So check out The Roots, NERD, Gym Class Heroes, Flobots, live Lupe Fiasco, and a few Lil Wayne songs ("Mrs Officer" particularly. I don't care how you feel about him, that guitar line is beautiful).

Also, just learn melodies from rap songs, and translate them to the guitar. You can play anything on a guitar that you'd hear in a rap song; being a guitar player doesn't bar you from playing anything. All I'm saying is, playing "Party Like A Rock Star" is a great gag if you're with people.
Quote by bananaboy
How has no one mentioned the Roots yet? Captain Kirk is one of my favorite guitar players, out of any genre.

So check out The Roots, NERD, Gym Class Heroes, Flobots, live Lupe Fiasco, and a few Lil Wayne songs ("Mrs Officer" particularly. I don't care how you feel about him, that guitar line is beautiful).
Also, just learn melodies from rap songs, and translate them to the guitar. You can play anything on a guitar that you'd hear in a rap song; being a guitar player doesn't bar you from playing anything. All I'm saying is, playing "Party Like A Rock Star" is a great gag if you're with people.

I've heard of Lupe and The Roots, but I'll check out some Flobots and NERD, I'm neutral to Gym Class Heroes.

Quote by denizenz

Quote by soundgarden19
I've heard of Lupe and The Roots, but I'll check out some Flobots and NERD, I'm neutral to Gym Class Heroes.

Gym Class isn't good guitar music per se, but it does kinda open your eyes as to how you can fit guitar into stuff. Flobots are cool because they have even more non-hip hop instruments, like violin and trumpet. NERD is great, check out the song "Sooner or Later" off their newest album, it's got a 2-minute solo that puts most guitarists to shame.

The beautiful thing with hip hop, why I love it so much, is anything fits as long as it's catchy and in 4/4. There aren't limitations to the harmony or instruments you can use, as long as it's "good".
Thanks man, I'll definitely check out NERD.

Quote by denizenz

Quote by bananaboy

I mentioned the Roots, just 2 posts above yours

And yes, Captain Kirk does rule.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Beat ya to it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Jon LaJoie

Check out the "Everyday Normal _______" series
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
guitar parts in hip hop are often soul and funk samples; when I have worked with producers in the past, thats what I've tried to stay grounded in because its something like a common language from guitar playing to beatmaking.

Also listen to Ratatat.
Quote by ONEfunkyBASS
or limp bizkit

As much as I like L.I.M.P. limp bizkit, he's black.

Quote by denizenz

A band I saw at a school thing was Undivided Family, they had some nice guitar with rapping. Try looking for them on myspace, I dunno if they've recorded anything yet (I'd check, but school blocks myspace)
Fender Deluxe Player's Strat
Fender FM 65 DSP
Line 6 UberMetal distortion
Danelectro Fish N' Chips EQ