I play in a deathcore band and we have recently made the decision to tune to drop a# from drop c.

My question is, would it be more worth while to buy a 5 string and tune up half a step than to change string gauges and use a 4 string? And would there be any problems doing this? I will be buying a new bass very soon anyway because i need something better quality.

Thanks in advance.
Gear: ESP MH250 NT
ESP EX400 ow
Ashton Dualler

Marshall MG50DFX

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
EHX metal muff
I would go with the 5-string. I'm pretty sure that putting heavier gauge strings on a 4-string bass would result in damage to the neck itself. Plus, with the dropped tunings that the deathcore genre has helped popularize, it's almost a necessity to use a 5-string bass.

They're badass, too. ha
Wouldn't you have to be in Standard A# though? Because Drop A# is C Standard with the lowest string tuned to A#, and 5-strings are tuned BEADG, right?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I think the tuning would end up being A# D# G# C# F#... if he keeps it in fourths. Either way, I would go with the 5 string. I love em
Quote by SounD MaN
I think the tuning would end up being A# D# G# C# F#... if he keeps it in fourths. Either way, I would go with the 5 string. I love em

Isn't tuning in fourths = Standard tuning? Because threadstarter wants to play in Drop A#.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Yea I thought so... but you said C standard tuning and I got a little lost

Also just for fun, check out the Warwick Vampyre Dark Lord. It comes F# B E A D Factory tuned! The fifth string on that thing could take someone's head off if it snapped
I'd say go 5 string, and go with active pups too, ibanez have some good 5 string bass's in their SA range.
member of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero join. Australians only

Feel the Rhythm...
for the range you need, absolutely go with the 5 string. but what's the point of tuning it up half a step?
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
Actually he would be down-tuning half a step.

Come to think of it... that's gonna be a really floppy B string. You're gonna need a thicker gauge I guess.