I've come up with a basic chord structure but i'm struggerling to come up with a melody. Anyone got any tips?
Just try humming some things to yourself, just randomly until something sounds good, and try to apply it to your chord structure. That's what I do.
do you know the major scales and the minor scales??
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by FlyingPirahna
Just try humming some things to yourself, just randomly until something sounds good, and try to apply it to your chord structure. That's what I do.

Me too. I play it and play it until I can kind of hear a melody. Then I hum it and keep playing it as I mumble words until they form fully into an idea and I'm singing a new song.

If you want you could record your progression and just mess around over top looking for new ideas. Or if you have the idea in your head you might sing it over the progression and work it out on guitar. - I heard David Gilmore used to sing his solos and then work them out and there aren't many who have better phrasing than Mr Gilmore.
Si
Quote by michal23
Have the melody follow the chord tones. Not entirely, but as an outline.

this, i do this still after 13 years.
Quote by michal23
Have the melody follow the chord tones. Not entirely, but as an outline.
This.

Also learn to phrase melodies, I've written something phrasing vocal melodies in my blog (there should be more to come if I get around to it)
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
First choose the structure of the song, or form, whatever..
Also choose the way you are going to do it, only one guitar, or more instruments, maybe only a vocal melody or maybe a riff, I don't know.

If you want to write a melody, make it follow the chords.
If you already know the chords, but don't know the melody, try writing a melody with your guitar while playing the chords at the same time, that way you know how both of them will sound, and you will tend to play chord tones in the melody when the chord falls, easier for you, and sounds more consonant.
Try to make it singable, if it's vocal, if it's played in a guitar then nevermind.

Then continue depeding on how you want the song to be like. If you want a chorus or something add other melodies, and emphasize it more with the use of intensity, or jsut different phrasing.
Try to have a main theme in the whole song, not just different random stuff put together.
You can change keys, or change moods, etc in the song, but try to keep it organised, not making sudden changes unless you want to (modulation, slowing tempo, whatever).

Hmm, enjoy it?