i just bought a squire strat for 5 bucks. working condition and all.
i was thinking of putting some better pickups on it (possibly EMGs). when i told my friend of this plan, he just told me it'd be like "putting sprinkles on a piece of ****".

i know better pickups will improve the sound, but will JUST pickups on a squire be enough to make it sound at least decent?

i really dont want this guitar to go to waste. i already have a nice explorer, but its always nice to have a back up.
Squiers don't deserve the bad rep they get. A few upgrades make them real nice. Pickups will sure help.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
If you have a tube amp, EMGs will definitely be worth it, but why not consider some kick-ass passives? The nice thing about EMG's (in this case, at least) is that they tend to make all guitars sound the same. What genres do you play?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
A squire for 5 bucks is actually a really good purchase... And if you go with active EMG's it will cover up a bit of the bad tonal qualitys of the wood.

Example Emg 81 in a Hello Kitty Strat Vs. Emg81 in a American Strat will sound relatively the same.

Now playablity is a whole different ball game. But if the guitar stays in tune and plays good there is nothing wrong with upgrading it a bit.
Doesnt depend too much on the wood for EMG's tbh. For that price, hell go ahead! Could just buy some american fender pickups, add some nice tuners and you've got a decent guitar tbh.
Either go EMG route or the higher output Dimarzio route. Both have a tone of their own that covers up alot of the sound of the wood itself.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Jan 22, 2009,
if you play metal, then i say go for the EMG's. i got my squier for free, its an HSS and it plays/stays in tune really well

edit: since you play ska and punk, we should probably know, whats the pickup configuration in the guitar?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 22, 2009,
I'm getting a little tired of all these little ****s that have been playing for whole month and a half, wow, thinking that they're experts on what makes a good guitar. Slap a fender logo on that guitar and your friend would be like " OMFGZ, A FENDORZ, IT'S SO AWESOME!!!!!111!" Your friend doesn't know damn thing, squiers aren't the most expensive guitars in the world, but even so they are FAR from the worst, especially now that they're under new management and putting out better guitars than ever. There's a reason that people that know how to modify a guitar in the right ways usually go for squiers, I know I do, it's cause they are at decent and have the potential to be great guitars. What I'm trying to get at is it's well worth it to upgrade any parts on the guitar you feel necesary.
I say replace the pickups and the pots and at least the machine heads - maybe get some nice locking ones to help with tuning problems
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
if you play metal, then i say go for the EMG's. i got my squier for free, its an HSS and it plays/stays in tune really well

edit: since you play ska and punk, we should probably know, whats the pickup configuration in the guitar?

pickup configuration? explain please
3 singles (SSS) or 2 singles and a humbucker (HSS)?

Don't judge me.
Quote by sexwithdolphins
pickup configuration? explain please

Does it have three single coil pickups, or a humbucker and two singles, or two humbuckers, or is it a single pickup guitar?
Quote by sexwithdolphins
oh, right. yeah, its 3 singles.

Then look at a fender set...although the config doesn't really matter because the bridge position should already be routed for a humbucker...so the only issue would be the pickguard.

Don't judge me.
a squier for 5 bucks?!

That's an awesome deal!..and if your friend says otherwise he doesn't really know what he's talking about..
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Now playablity is a whole different ball game. But if the guitar stays in tune and plays good there is nothing wrong with upgrading it a bit.

I'd say playability is most of the ball game. It's not worth upgrading if it's difficult to play and doesn't stay in tune. But if it plays well (my friend's squire bullet is pretty nice) then a new pickup would be a great upgrade.
Depends on the Squire.
Some of them have agathis bodies, which are horrible. Also their necks are usually very poor on the lowend models. Issues with fret dressing and just the overall feel.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION