Hey,

It may be my inexperience with my POD as I've only fiddled with it for about two days. But I have a POD XT running through my Marshall JCM 900 (4100) and it sounds about 100% crap. I've made my own setting which is sound tonnes better than the Line 6 presets, but every preset seems to have this particular side to their tone that isnt very desireable to me.

Is there some trick you are supposed to do when you get your POD to make it sound like the selected amps do? They all sound like Fender Squire 5 watt amps.

Thanks
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
You pretty much answered your own question.
Devestating...
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
Quote by ede09
Hey,

It may be my inexperience with my POD as I've only fiddled with it for about two days. But I have a POD XT running through my Marshall JCM 900 (4100) and it sounds about 100% crap. I've made my own setting which is sound tonnes better than the Line 6 presets, but every preset seems to have this particular side to their tone that isnt very desireable to me.

Is there some trick you are supposed to do when you get your POD to make it sound like the selected amps do? They all sound like Fender Squire 5 watt amps.

Thanks

Run it on a keyboard amp or something with an extremely flat and clean speaker response.....
Well its for use at a church. (As I cannot haul my amp up twice a week).

So, go up there and set it up through their sound system? I'll have more luck?
PODs have tons of great sounds in them, you just have to know how to use it and get familiar with its interface and tweaking it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ede09
Well its for use at a church. (As I cannot haul my amp up twice a week).

So, go up there and set it up through their sound system? I'll have more luck?

Yup, that will give you the best results and pretty much what they were designed for..
Play it through a Marshall MG, that oughta help...

In all seriousness, it's probably EQs on both the pod and your amp...as previously mentioned, tweaking will yield some good results.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
are you running it into the amp's input or effects loop.... whatever your answer is, try putting the pod in the FX return, it will get a much better sound out of the pod.

also, dont make the tones through your PC speakers because they will sound different when you hook it up to your amp. make your tones when the sound is coming out of the amp.

try EQing and shiz too. i manage to get some decent tones. i love my pod
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
are you running it into the amp's input or effects loop.... whatever your answer is, try putting the pod in the FX return, it will get a much better sound out of the pod.

also, dont make the tones through your PC speakers because they will sound different when you hook it up to your amp. make your tones when the sound is coming out of the amp.

try EQing and shiz too. i manage to get some decent tones. i love my pod

It's not a good idea to put amp modeling and disto in the effects loop of an amp....

Don't judge me.
Great, thankyou. I need it to replace a V-Amp. As i'm sure you know, running a distortion pedal through a PA without a preamp just makes dirt...

I guess I just don't like the sound as much as I could because I had the option to quickly plug straight into my amplifier and compare the two sounds. Making a 2nd tone all together without any benchmark seems logical to me.

Thankyou
In regards to the suggestion of using the FX loop. Using distortion in the FX loop isn't desirable according to most.

I've never been convinced with my loop at all though. It makes my Phase 90 sound pretty killer, but my Flanger is almost useless through it...
going through the fx loop is a reccomended option with the pod.

the pod is a preamp itself and generates all of the sound, going into the fx loop just puts it through the power amp and makes it louder.

if you plug a pod into the amp input, it gets processed a 2nd time by the amp's preamp and the sound gets mucked up

we're not talking about the pod as a distortion pedal, we're talking about it as a preamp.
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
going through the fx loop is a reccomended option with the pod.

the pod is a preamp itself and generates all of the sound, going into the fx loop just puts it through the power amp and makes it louder.

if you plug a pod into the amp input, it gets processed a 2nd time by the amp's preamp and the sound gets mucked up

Thats a very good point. I'll try it out now.
Quote by ede09
Thats a very good point. I'll try it out now.

taa
since you didn't make the tone by listening to it through the current set up, it might sound a little weird, but once you adjust the tone to the new set up you should get a better sound

it takes a bit of fiddling, but when you spend enough time on it you can get some very useable sounds
Quote by SEALSniper1152

Quote by Lefty Guitarist
Just 1 question... Are you using distortion on your amp while your using the pod?

Not my amps no. I'll explain the scenario.

I have a pedalboard that I use at the church. I need the POD to act as a preamp so my distortion pedal doesn't sound like filth through the PA. (I've been using a Behringer V-Amp2 to do this up until now).

So I was using my distortion pedal (Which is a Marshall, so its pretty close to my amps anyway) to get the overdrive sound that I want up at the church.

If that makes sense, lets party..
pods arent really designed to be used in conjunction with other pedals, even though it is possible.

i wouldnt reccomend using the distortion pedal with the pod, i'd just use the pod to generate the whole tone
Quote by SEALSniper1152

In an amp without any onboard effects, running it clean and plugging a pod into the preamp won't change the sound of the pod much at all, but you're right, running your guitar into the pd and the pod straight into the FX return is good too....I was thinking about a looped system.

It's also not a good idea to plug your jackhammer into your pod unless you're bypassing everything and simply using it as a clean preamp. Otherwise, you're good to go.

Don't judge me.
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
pods arent really designed to be used in conjunction with other pedals, even though it is possible.

i wouldnt reccomend using the distortion pedal with the pod, i'd just use the pod to generate the whole tone

Your probably correct.
But they don't come with a foot pedal as standard, which means to press that tiny button on the POD with your shoes.....Fail.

Using my pedal is almost compulsory as pressing tiny inaccessable buttons with my feet is almost useless.
Quote by theoreticmusic
In an amp without any onboard effects, running it clean and plugging a pod into the preamp won't change the sound of the pod much at all, but you're right, running your guitar into the pd and the pod straight into the FX return is good too....I was thinking about a looped system.

It's also not a good idea to plug your jackhammer into your pod unless you're bypassing everything and simply using it as a clean preamp. Otherwise, you're good to go.

Well its good that you say that! Because I only want it for the preamp so my distortion wont turn into noise in the PA system.
oh shiiiii- yeah sorry man
i assumed you had a pod XT live for some reason

yeah i see what you're getting at now. that is a bit of a problem :/
Quote by SEALSniper1152

Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
oh shiiiii- yeah sorry man
i assumed you had a pod XT live for some reason

yeah i see what you're getting at now. that is a bit of a problem :/

Easy mistake man. If I had the live I would of just used that. But now you see my situation. But I spose I can only tell from taking up it, and tweaking settings and bybassing etc etc
Quote by ede09
In regards to the suggestion of using the FX loop. Using distortion in the FX loop isn't desirable according to most.

I've never been convinced with my loop at all though. It makes my Phase 90 sound pretty killer, but my Flanger is almost useless through it...

were not asking you to put it in the loop. what you do is, you plug your guitar into the pod, and the output of the pod into the FX loop return on the amp. it should work, but you might need to put a "dummy plug" in the guitar input of the amp. also, what settings are you using, and which "what are you connected to" setting are you using

EDIT: wait, your just using it to take a distortion pedal? thats kind of a waste of a good piece of gear, but if anything, i might recommend either turning the amp model off, or using the tube preamp model
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
were not asking you to put it in the loop. what you do is, you plug your guitar into the pod, and the output of the pod into the FX loop return on the amp. it should work, but you might need to put a "dummy plug" in the guitar input of the amp. also, what settings are you using, and which "what are you connected to" setting are you using

If you mean setting on the POD, that would take a very long time to write out.

And I have had the pod for about two days. Whats "what are you connected to" settings?
theres a part on the pod (dont know where it is on yours) that asks what are you plugging the pod output into, for example Combo preamp, Combo Poweramp, Studio etc etc

selecting different ones alters the sound you get

but anyway, the main issue you have is with the distortion pedal. i concur with what the other guy said. set the pod to a clean thing and use it as a preamp and try plugging the pedal into it.
Quote by SEALSniper1152

Quote by ede09
If you mean setting on the POD, that would take a very long time to write out.

And I have had the pod for about two days. Whats "what are you connected to" settings?

sounds like someone needs to read the manual
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
theres a part on the pod (dont know where it is on yours) that asks what are you plugging the pod output into, for example Combo preamp, Combo Poweramp, Studio etc etc

selecting different ones alters the sound you get

but anyway, the main issue you have is with the distortion pedal. i concur with what the other guy said. set the pod to a clean thing and use it as a preamp and try plugging the pedal into it.

Oh I didn't know about that setting. I'll do some exploring. But Thanks man. I bought it simply to use for clean sound and a preamp.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
sounds like someone needs to read the manual

Yes, lets just act like a condescending jerk. Thats going to help.
well, in his defense, it IS in the manual
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
well, in his defense, it IS in the manual

Edit; Thats true, but I've had it for two days and i have a job & social life
Last edited by ede09 at Jan 22, 2009,