Page 1 of 2
Hey,

I've been getting into The Mars Volta a lot recently and wondered what other stuff there is on the modern prog scene. I gave Porcupine Tree a shot and didn't like it, i kind of liked Opeth but that's more metal influenced (or so it seemed, quite gloomy).

I do love a nice concept album, so if you've bought cool prog concept album recently that's good, do share.

Other then that just list some prog bands i should check out.

Thanks
Dan
these guys cover a lot of genres but they are really awesome. check out portugal.the man
i dont see how they relate them to tmv but they do.
Dream Theater
If you haven't listened to the Damnation album by Opeth and the song Burden I would do so.

EDIT: What Porcupine Tree did you try? In Absentia is easy to get into and is a concept.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Last edited by Guitar_Dan_666 at Jan 22, 2009,
Coheed.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Sieges Even!

The Art of Navigating By The Stars is their best album... not really a concept album in the traditional sense but the songs are still connected.
Rockin' the Gibson SG Standard Cherry!
If u liked TMV Try Omar Rodriguez Lopez's new CD Old Money just came out tuesday
Or Give Bloc Party a Try
Quote by DeadIdentity81
Riverside, Coheed, QOTSA, and Dream Theater

all of these!

Plus Thrice and the Dear Hunter.
Get "Mercy Falls" by seventh wonder. It's a great album. Like Opeth they're prog metal, but not so "gloomy", so give them a listen and see what you think
Good concept album? easily Metropolis Pt 2 : Scenes From a Memory by Dream Theater you wont be dissapointed

this isnt a concept album but Watershed by Opeth is great, seeing that you want rock theyre more melodic especially on the song Burden , very beautiful song
Dream Theater is not modern prog. For their first few albums, yes. Thereafter, they've kinda converted to modern trash.

listen to Umphrey's McGee or the Ozric Tentacles. They are in my opinion two of the quintessential modern progressive acts. Also check out Porcupine Tree's extensive discography. If you can't get into PT, you may not be looking for progressive music in the first place.
Here is a list of some bands that I have recently discovered or have new releases within the last year or so that I recommend within this style. Some but not all are considered 'progressive', some are a bit heavier and pretty much all have great guitar work.

Avenged Sevenfold
Beardfish
Cynic
Devil's Slingshot
John 5
Marillion
Protest The Hero
Spock's Beard
UKZ - New band

Of course there are plenty of others that I like such as Porcupine Tree, Opeth, pretty much anything that Steven Wilson touches including his solo album Insurgentes.
Marillion but it's softer than The Mars Volta
Von Hertzen Brothers, excellent modern and melodic prog rock
Sylvan, really melodic too
Riverside (heavier)
Indukti (sounds like Riverside)
Pure Reason Revolution (Great floydish prog rock with male and female vocals)

Tool is your band mate, some of the bands mentioned above aren't even progressive,and they don't sound any similar with TMV, Tool does, maybe their music is a little less complicated and easier to digest, but ****ing great anyway. Check A Perfect Circle too. If you wanna get a bit weirder listen to Battles (Cedric and Omar love them), they're like the modern King Crimson but using electronics, voice effects and such. Also a derivated genre of progt rock that is getting a lot of attention this days is post rock, Sigur Ros is my favourite but you could listen to Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You Black Emperor, 65daysofstatic...
Oh and this site could be useful: progarchives.com
Last edited by MuffinBrain at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by Axegrinder#9
Dream Theater is not modern prog. For their first few albums, yes. Thereafter, they've kinda converted to modern trash.

listen to Umphrey's McGee or the Ozric Tentacles. They are in my opinion two of the quintessential modern progressive acts. Also check out Porcupine Tree's extensive discography. If you can't get into PT, you may not be looking for progressive music in the first place.

yeah ever since train of thought they have been going in a rather heavier direction, well they are getting older so itd be rather hard to do long proggy stuff at old age
Try Circus Maximus, Spastic Ink, Canvas Solaris, Pagan's Mind, there's a whole bunch of **** out there.

www.progarchives.com is your best source on the internet for finding new prog music.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Dream Theater, Coheed and Cambria, Tool and, if you wanna go old school then Pink Floyd.

Judging by your liking of the Mars Volta, you might like some post rock considering that TMV definitely has a strong post rock component.
"You can't fight in here, this is a war room!"- Dr. Strangelove
Some different bands would be Abigail's Ghost, Demians.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Actually, i'll also recommend 3. Their front man is the brother of Coheed's ex-drummer and is one of the best, most unique guitarists i've seen. I think you'd really dig them. Stupid band name but amazing music.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Led man32

Just quoting this to emphasize Demians. Listen to them.
Quote by Led man32

I just discovered both of these bands, and I love them. Especially Demians.
Quote by Ace88
Actually, i'll also recommend 3. Their front man is the brother of Coheed's ex-drummer and is one of the best, most unique guitarists i've seen. I think you'd really dig them. Stupid band name but amazing music.

Very true. I find them a little boring at times, but still a solid band.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
I don't know if they've already been spoken for but Spock's Beard and IQ are both great as well.
These Amplifiers go to 11
Gear:
Black Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass Bass II Bridge
Peavy Max-112
Various Others (keyboard, 12-string, etc)
This thread inspires me.

But hey, does anyone know of any bands similar to 3 or Coheed that kinda mix prog with a catchier, more laid back, not so serious sound. If that makes any sense at all.

It just seems like most of the prog I listen to such as Porcupine Tree, Riverside ect... gets almost depressing at times because of how dark it is.
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
Last edited by Maidenfan066 at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Freepower
Get "Wake Pig" by 3.

Beat me to it. That album is AMAZING.

SPIRAL ARCHITECT

Only one album ever released titled "A Sceptic's Universe" it's AMAZING.

Tool
A Perfect Circle
Mastodon
BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME
Coheed and Cambria
Dream Theater

Those are my most frequented prog bands.
Muse? Idk if they're really prog....
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
So is Frames, actually I'd say that's the best one :P. I love 9/11 T-Shirt.
I don't know if anyone mentioned Tyr yet... They play awesome progressive folk rock/metal. Land and Ragnarok are concept albums.
Quote by wolfy808
Muse? Idk if they're really prog....

They are awesome though
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
Page 1 of 2