Page 1 of 2
I'm taking guitar at school, which isn't much fun as of now. Today was the 1st day we actually got to play. Yesterday I talked with this guy who said he was really into Metallica and Slipknot and could play all of their songs. So the 1st 10 min of class come around. This is where we get warmed and tuned up and get our books out. You want to know what he warmed up with? Smoke on the water! For 10 entire minutes...I was sitting beside him. He didn't even play it right, he did it on the B string...

What do I say to him? He literally thinks he's great, and cool because some girl recognized the song. So then I just played some acoustic songs but the warm up was over so I got to play "merilly we roll along" for the rest of the hour and 20 minutes.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Just upstage him and when his jaw hits the floor just laugh. If your better then him that is, if not just tell him to shutup.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
learn some dream theater and upstage that ****er!
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Who cares man, so some chick recognized the song he was playing, seems like you're just jealous that he got noticed and you didn't. You don't try to outshine a retard, so why bust your balls over some kid who can't play man, just go to school to learn and become a better guitarist, not to be the cool kid who plays guitar, c'mon man.
D;
Last edited by ughhhhhhhh at Jan 22, 2009,
Joe Satriani !..

Oh... nvm
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
There is no cure for this type of stupid cocky bull****. I've known so many people like this. The only way is to get people to recognize that he's a worthless hack, and even that may not work.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Who cares if he didn't know how to play some **** song correctly? I could go on for an hour about how many people I want to kill at Guitar Center for playing the **** they do, especially when they atrociously butcher the song. Just tune them the **** out and get on with your life.
Sounds like he's not worth the effort of saying anything to - but if the next lesson goes the same might be worth having a chat with the teacher to see if they can split you into two groups (absolute beginners and not-so-beginners) so you don't get bored out of your skull
for starters theres all those people who scream search bar on every page

if you dont like it being then then dont read it, dont waste your time
Quote by ughhhhhhhh
Who cares man, so some chick recognized the song he was playing, seems like you're just jealous that he got noticed and you didn't. You don't try to outshine a retard, so why bust your balls over some kid who can't play man, just go to school to learn and become a better guitarist, not to be the cool kid who plays guitar, c'mon man.

yah, so what, he sucks get over it. I think ur jealous. I guess if smoke on the water pulls chix in do it. I think ud be better off playing something like Jumper.
Quote by ughhhhhhhh

i agree with this guy
i play guitar because its what i love to do
the girl recognition is a nice plus...i get it here and there
but i thats not WHY i play guitar.
its all about the music.
Quote by SoftParade1967
learn some dream theater and upstage that ****er!

Dream theater Blows... period... if you do that, he'll have upstaged you for actually liking real music.
show him up, nuff said.

i hate bringing my guitar to school at my school, i have to bring it on wednesdays for my lessons afterschool (cant go home between school and lessons so i have to have it with me) and too many people give guitar players a bad name around here. like the kids who bring an accoustic to school without a case and play it accousticly in the lunchroom trying to act hardass.

my case stays shut the whole school day with two different locks and i still get **** about bringing it to school.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by JesterShred
Dream theater Blows... period... if you do that, he'll have upstaged you for actually liking real music.

i was a joking about upstaging him. (i do like Dream Theater though) anyway i fully agree with ughhhhhhhh.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Annoying people who play guitar are peope who play guitar once a month just so they can say they play guitar.
don't say anything. focus on your own playing and not other people's. it doesnt matter if people dont recognize the song if its some crazy inside hard song, they will think youre good anyway
Quote by Shabadoo
Annoying people who play guitar are peope who play guitar once a month just so they can say they play guitar.

I play for hours every day and don't call myself one, these people make me sad.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Quote by conor1148
show him up, nuff said.

i hate bringing my guitar to school at my school, i have to bring it on wednesdays for my lessons afterschool (cant go home between school and lessons so i have to have it with me) and too many people give guitar players a bad name around here. like the kids who bring an accoustic to school without a case and play it accousticly in the lunchroom trying to act hardass.

my case stays shut the whole school day with two different locks and i still get **** about bringing it to school.

Excatly dude. Not comparing these guys to you, but they apply to what you're saying.

There are these two frickin hippies at my school that show up every day with an acoustic guitar and they sing songs about peace, love, Obama, and all that good bollocks. Problem is, they both suck ass on guitar. They can't even get their chords right, and yet people swoon over what they do. It's a load of crap, but you just gotta suck it up and deal with it.
Don't acknowledge it. You'll be a way bigger prick for doing that.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
See, at my school, I take my guitar in every friday, performance piece work in music like, ends up into an hour long jam session with a bassist and (when she turns up) a drummer, but when I'm hangin' out at lunch, I sometimes whip the guitar out just to play some scales or something to myself while I talk with my friends or whatever, I can't hear it for **** over the noise in school (unplugged) so it's just a bit of practice/somethin' to do while I converse.
Anyway, I get loads of "Can you play that?" which I guess is a valid question, like if I was holding it and not playing it, but I can overlook this, not many people round here think it's possible to play a guitar if you aren't famous

But what really pisses me off, is the people who think that if they see something that's slightly different, in this case, my guitar, they have to make a huge thing out of it. I'm telling you, an hour lunch break, all of it was spent with a group of immature pricks saying "Ask him if he can play aerosmith lololololol" "I want to put a hat down so I can throw money in it" "Guitarists are gay" "He must be emo" etc etc etc, it's also amusing watching them walk up to me with intention to throw money down (lololol I'm making it look like he's busking and all that) but they get scared and walk off, not sure what they'd be scared of, not like I'm intimidating, but it really pisses me off how stupid and dull some people are.

...grr

Also on the "the girl recognition is a nice plus...i get it here and there" as much as I play guitar to amuse only myself, it's just nice when others enjoy my playing too, I've never got female attention from playing the guitar, not that I'm bothered by it, it's just, kinda confusing why the guys who can't read get more recognition by the multi-talented local musician
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Also on the "the girl recognition is a nice plus...i get it here and there" as much as I play guitar to amuse only myself, it's just nice when others enjoy my playing too, I've never got female attention from playing the guitar, not that I'm bothered by it, it's just, kinda confusing why the guys who can't read get more recognition by the multi-talented local musician

I have a cure for the lack of female attention. Go out and buy some sort of Superstrat-type guitar, run into Guitar Center, plug it into the biggest stack you see in the joint, and start playing while holding it in front of you like a big surrogate penis. It also helps to wear bright frilly spandex and have some sort of eighties hair. You get to feel what it's like to be Spinal Tap and you have women throwing their panties at you.
I know alot of ppl that act like they are guitar gods, but cant even tell me what the difference is between an A and an Am... much less tell me what key a song is in. I just let them slide, no use getting into a fight (with the ppl that I hang out with, it would turn into a fight).

Now, about taking guitars to school. Back in HS, I used to take my guitar there so I could play it when I got bored during lunch/ passing time/ before school/ after school/ etc.. Id end up getting laughed at during class and etc., but I also would end up making a minimum of $10 a day playing at random times (It also helped me get a few As in certain classes).
One day I made $30 playing random songs during lunch, I believe the money was well worth getting made fun of for a bit. But also I can play, I dont just sit around singing out of tune and strumming random ****.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
who cares man?
so some chick reconized it and thinks hes great,that doesnt mean fellow musicians will respect him
chicks will think your great if you can play something they like
but you have to do it for yourself and the music
and the respect of other guitar players is what you want,not idiots
Yea the whole girls and recognizing music thing? It's all about what they like, It could be the easiest song ever and they'll be like OMG!!!! I went to a sweet 16 for my friend, and she said I could bring a electric guitar and an amp, so I was playing my usual stuff, (rock, metal, punk etc.) and all the girls would spazz out when I played something they knew, when I was dicking around or playing metal alot of the guys who play instruments told me I was pretty damn good. Only two girls told me I was good without playing something they liked alot.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Quote by JesterShred

Right-o, that Juhn Partuchi guy is such a ****ty player, like, i can totally outplay him. i mean like, he doesnt hav any skil at al!!! lol

Retard

Just because you don't like to listen to players that are extremely above you in ability to play, or listen to fast music, doesn't mean it isn't real music.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Being a dream theater FAN I can say that dream theater is kinda dorky, real music? HELL YES IT IS, I don't know what your smoking to think they suck. If you don't listen to them fine, if you don't respect their ridiculous skills then just fck you.

Now rap... Thats not music.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Give him some help? We all gotta start somewhere, man...

Also, why are you taking a begginer guitar class? Does your school not have a beginner/advanced seperation for the class, or is only one option?
Quote by Shabadoo

or start bands and never practise so they can say there in a band
Quote by Tubyboulin
Give him some help? We all gotta start somewhere, man...

Also, why are you taking a begginer guitar class? Does your school not have a beginner/advanced seperation for the class, or is only one option?

There's only one option. And we have to read music in it, I only know the basics of that..she let me start halfway through the level two book as opposed to the beginning of the level one though, so I'm really happy about that.

And it's not that I mind that he's a beginner, I've been helping out a lot of the beginners and they're nice and cool. What I don't like is that he thinks that he is awesome and can play all these metallica solos when he just plays random notes that don't fit together, AND he can't even play smoke on the water.

And about the chick thing, I'm a girl, so I just thought it was stupid that some girl got all freaked out because she recognized the song. I don't play guitar to get girls ( that would be wayyy freaky) or guys for that matter, I'd rather get to know a guy in some other situation.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by Psalm 150:4
There's only one option. And we have to read music in it, I only know the basics of that..she let me start halfway through the level two book as opposed to the beginning of the level one though, so I'm really happy about that.

And it's not that I mind that he's a beginner, I've been helping out a lot of the beginners and they're nice and cool. What I don't like is that he thinks that he is awesome and can play all these metallica solos when he just plays random notes that don't fit together, AND he can't even play smoke on the water.

And about the chick thing, I'm a girl, so I just thought it was stupid that some girl got all freaked out because she recognized the song. I don't play guitar to get girls ( that would be wayyy freaky) or guys for that matter, I'd rather get to know a guy in some other situation.

Raise hands, who saw that one coming?

In all honesty, I think for every single guitarist out there that knows how to play, there are least two of these annoying guys, and we'll have to live with them. There were a couple in my school, and I could usually muster up the patience to be friendly about telling them that I'm not interested in hearing how hard 'x' song is to play.
That's what I think you should do, in a way. Heck, I think I'd even make a joke out of it, keep praising the bastard and telling him he's indeed really great, act like the girl that fell before him. You could be the winner in that situation.

I just think it's funny that the guy claims Slipknot is impressive. (A few of the solos are fast, but other than that I'm unimpressed.)
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
d000d! Play earupshunz and you well get 2 bohn teh chix 4ever!

No but seriously, try to outplay him, and do it right, cuz if you do try and play a hard song and you fail. Let's put it this way:

Sloppy playing of hard song : Fail
Fail : Chicks for Mr. Michael Angelo Batio Jr. next to you
Chicks for Mr. Michael Angelo Batio Jr. next to you : The chicks are gone and remember the epic failure in guitar class.

I have discovered you don't like teh wiminz, as you are one.
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
Last edited by The Philosopher at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by ComradeIronMan
I play for hours every day and don't call myself one, these people make me sad.

Same here. People like that should go back to playing Guitar Hero.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Live and let live
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Bringing guitar to school is a pain. I get alot of "why did you bring your guitar to school?" from older kids, and then they laugh, does ANYONE else find anything funny with that? They're retards.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Page 1 of 2