I'm learning the rythem part from Surfin' with the Alien for jamming purposes and I'm stuck in a rut with the huge stretch that occurs.

It goes:

5-7-5-8-etc.
3-3-3-3-

the 3-8 stretch kills me, I can do it but it creates a massive amount of tension in my hand.
For now I have transcribed the chords to a lower string so that it's much easier but I'd kind like to play it the "right" way.
unless the tab was written by joe (not transcribed by someone else), how do you know what the "right way" is?

its the same note either way.

make sure you keep your fingers aligned properly, and absolutely do NOT keep your thumb wrapped around the top of the neck

edit: i believe steve vai says for large stretches, keep your fingers parallel to the frets for maximum range.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by SpeedLives
unless the tab was written by joe (not transcribed by someone else), how do you know what the "right way" is?

its the same note either way.

make sure you keep your fingers aligned properly, and absolutely do NOT keep your thumb wrapped around the top of the neck

I guess your right, I'll just play it my way.

My thumb is at the bottom of the neck when I do a stretch like that, no worries, I'll just practice.
no... you should be able to do this... it hurt my hand to, but it's a very very very common chord progression, especially in blues, you just have to keep trying it or you'll never get it and then you'll be the only guitar player in the world who can't do the easy blues progression in a million songs... do you use your pinky??
Quote by JesterShred
no... you should be able to do this... it hurt my hand to, but it's a very very very common chord progression, especially in blues, you just have to keep trying it or you'll never get it and then you'll be the only guitar player in the world who can't do the easy blues progression in a million songs... do you use your pinky??

The 3-7 stretch is very easy but the 3-8 is just too much.
I use my pinky for both of them and my thumb is at the bottom of the neck.
yeah it sucks... learn a 3 note per string scale and it will help you with this as well, it may be too hard, but you have to tough it out for a while and eventually it will be easy
Quote by JesterShred
yeah it sucks... learn a 3 note per string scale and it will help you with this as well, it may be too hard, but you have to tough it out for a while and eventually it will be easy

I've been having to learn alot of stretchy chords lately, I'll just learn my version and come back to it in a month or something and learn the "right" version
Bring the neck upwards more vertical then horizontal. It helps straighten your wrist alowing you to do bigger stretches.
Try transposing the part so it's higher on the neck and moving it down gradually, making sure you're always relaxed no matter where you play it; if you make sure you're comfortable when you move it down the neck you should be able to make the stretch from the original easily in time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Okay, I'll do that.

Thanks people!

Btw., anyone who knows how to play the song, would you bar the first powerchords and hit the A# note with your pinky and then change to a "stretchy" position for the blues progression before returning to the powerchords?
I've been having to learn alot of stretchy chords lately

I would say keep practicing them. If I can do a 3--8 stretch with my crooked pinky, your straight one should be able to reach it just fine.
Quote by Mosp
I would say keep practicing them. If I can do a 3--8 stretch with my crooked pinky, your straight one should be able to reach it just fine.

My pinky and my middle fingers are both a bit crooked XD
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Okay, I'll do that.

Thanks people!

Btw., anyone who knows how to play the song, would you bar the first powerchords and hit the A# note with your pinky and then change to a "stretchy" position for the blues progression before returning to the powerchords?

It's a Bb, and yes.

T
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
A# and Bb are enharmonic

Sure they are, but consider this: What's the key signature of SWTA?
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
Quote by AllUrBase

I actually have no idea.
Quote by AllUrBase

In video joe says G major, but he's also making use of pitch axis. so the intro could be in G dorian, and it would be a Bb.