So I'm lookign to pick up a 2X12 cab, because I just need a little more volume than I am getting out of my VK 112. Firstly, Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly. When I hook up my 112 to the 2X12, I'll just have the same amount of volume from both speakers correct? As in, it'll double the amount of sound I would normally get. Secondly what do you suggest for a 2X12 cab? I'm playing Bury your dead/Emmure style music. I was looking ta the crate one, but I figure it's proboly a piece of junk.
more speakers dont equal louder volume...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
check out avatar cabs. inexpensive and good quality.
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
You will get about 3db more volume.

But the main difference will be a much fuller tighter sound and the ablity to spread out the air a bit more to cover more ground.

I prefer a 2x12 over a 1x12 combo setup anyday...
I'm sorry, I'm pretty new to speakers and live setups. Is 3db a noticable difference? but from what your saying It'll be mroe spread out and better clarity?
You can get the Harley Benton G212 Vitange (comes with celestion Vintage 30's) goes for about £160
Avatar speakers. You won't necessarily get more volume unless you get speakers rated at higher efficiency or get v30s which will give the illusion of being louder by having more mids and cutting through better, but you will get a better spread of the sound.
Also, if the impedance of the speaker in your combo is the lowest your amp will tolerate, you will probably blow up your amp, or at least set it on fire.
I love my ENGL cab, if you're in europe you might be able to buy it for 600 €
Orange Enthousiast.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You will get about 3db more volume.

But the main difference will be a much fuller tighter sound and the ablity to spread out the air a bit more to cover more ground.

I prefer a 2x12 over a 1x12 combo setup anyday...

Where are you getting 3db from? You'd have to know a lot more about what he would be buying first before you can assume that.
The only thing that will increase with a 2x12 cab is sound projection.
Crate cabs aren't that bad. A lot of them are loaded with Celestions. Some even V30's an CL-80's.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Say Ocean
Where are you getting 3db from? You'd have to know a lot more about what he would be buying first before you can assume that.

Its a generalization based on the fact the stock speaker has a 96.7db sensitvity rating compared to say at Vintage 30 which is usually the speaker of choice for that amp at a 100 db rating.

My apologies I should have been more detailed in my post, I forgot how the topic of volume is a touchy subject around here.
http://www.lopoline.com/home.html
LOPOLINE
JUST AS GOOD AS AVATAR IVE HEARD

http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=ET65
WAREHOUSE SPEAKERS.

ITS WHAT IM GANNA DO.

it will come out just the same as if you were ganna buy one 212 avatar without speakers, also lopoline comes with loaded cabs either eminence Texas Heat or celestion Vintage30.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Jan 22, 2009,
How is it possible to get a 3dB increase just by doubling the speakers?

A 3dB increase=2x the power in watts, and the wattage coming out of the amp will be the same.

The only way that doubling the speakers could cause a 3dB increase is by being twice as efficient as a single speaker, but I think this is unlikely.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis