Hey, im sorry if there is a thread about this already or if this is the wrong section. i was just wondering if there were any warm ups that i should use to improve the speed and coordination on the fret board and for my picking hand. i have been playing guitar for about a year and a half and i recently became more interested in picking up the pace a little and trying something new.
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
G|---|---|---|---|-12-|-13-|-12-|---|---|---
D|-12-|-13-|-15-|---|---|---|---|-15-|-13- Repeat twice

G|---|---|---|---|-12-|-13-|-15-|-13-|-12-|---|-13-|-12-|---|---|-12-|---|---|---|
D|-12-|-13-|-15-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-15-|---|---|-15-|-13-|---|-15-|-13-|-12-|

just start on like 100 BPM and work your way up to a higher BPM

all are eighth notes by the way
Quote by scguitarking927

G|---|---|---|---|-12-|-13-|-15-|-13-|-12-|---|-13-|-12-|---|---|-12-|---|---|---|
D|-12-|-13-|-15-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-15-|---|---|-15-|-13-|---|-15-|-13-|-12-|

I always thought of it to be more motivating to start a 50 BPM with 16ths since most people say "I can play clean 16ths at xxx BPM" and not eighths.
Work on stretching out your fingers. It makes a surprisingly large difference. When I used to play in a band, I'd do all my warm-ups on the bass players' bass, and I always felt stretched and relaxed come gig time. That's probably a bit extreme for most, so just, like, take the lick transcribed above, and keep moving it down the fretboard.
A way that I improved my speed was to play the major scale in every key in all seven degrees (shapes) once a day. Over time your chops really develop
^ That's a good one mate. How about this one?

-------------------------------------9-10-7
--------------------------9-10-7
----------------7-9-6-----------7-9-6
------7-9-6----------7-9-6
-----------7-9-5
-7-9-5

It's awesome for a legato workout, especially for the 3rd and 4th fingers on the B and top E strings. The tendons for these two fingers are generally where most guitarists are weakest.

Whenever I see a player doing a long legato run which involves using 1st, 2nd and 4th, I kinda feel that they're finding the easy way out.

Equally good for picking too.

Try in all 7 shapes and descending.
Last edited by mdc at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I always thought of it to be more motivating to start a 50 BPM with 16ths since most people say "I can play clean 16ths at xxx BPM" and not eighths.

But his exercise however, in use with a metronome, is easier, for you have more clicks to focus on. This way one will be more tighter during practice.
Quote by scguitarking927

Do you by and chance have Michael Angelo Batio's Speed Kills DVD?

P.S. to the clean 16ths bloke, why not just learn it as 8th notes and then halve your BPM when you're bragging?
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Last edited by LeperAffinity at Jan 23, 2009,
Might I suggest you look into sweep picking. This will not improve your speed over-all, but with enough practice you can get this sounding really good, and it sounds like you're doing a whole lot more than you really are. That is just my suggestion, if you want to increase the speed of your alternate picking style and such, then follow their directions.
I started on 40 Bpm, playing croctched, quaver then semi-quaver beats. I did this about 20 - 40 mins everyday for a week. Then moved it up to 42, 45, 47, 50 etc.
Not neccesarily staying on each one for a beat, but just move it up when you feel comfortable.

It's disheartening when I read Charlie Parker's omnibook, and hes doing semi-quavers and triplets at 248 bpm... My metronome doesn;t even go that fast
long story short, speed is a byproduct of accuracy. you do anything properly and slowly for long enough you'll end up being able to do it faster in the end.
Quote by z4twenny
long story short, speed is a byproduct of accuracy. you do anything properly and slowly for long enough you'll end up being able to do it faster in the end.

Well said, you hit that right on the head.