Hey everyone, fairly new to the world of home recording.
I play/record mostly metal with distorted guitars (see my rig in my sig). Now I think I understand the purpose of reamping, the DI box takes the signal, splits it and sends one to your amp and one straight into the recording interface. And this useful so you can send that recorded signal back out through the DI box and lets u send it through the amp with different settings (basically I would use it to layer cleaner tracks on top of the distortion to beef up my rhythm guitar).

Right?

So my question is, does the reamp box record a signal? Or is the signal recorded on the sequencer and then sent back out through the audio interface into the DI box and through the amp again.

I have a TASCAM US-122 recording interface, the only output is two left and right RCA jacks which I plug my monitors into and a headphone out. Can I use the headphone out (which i also use) or am I going to have to constantly be swapping cables?

Maybe it's time for an upgrade?
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Ibanez S470DX w/ Duncan JB & 59'
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB:
-Delay Pedal, 2 Veteran 30 Speakers, Duncan Blackouts set, Reverb Pedal
Last edited by guitarded88 at Jan 22, 2009,
Close.

Reamping involves taking a clean guitar signal (no matter how it got there... whether you took a split off a DI box between your guitar and amp or not) and sending that clean guitar track back out to an amp.

Now, in its most basic form, you could simply run a line out from your recording unit and send that clean guitar track back into your amp, dial in some settings, and drop a mic in front of it.

But it's not exactly that easy. The impedance between a guitar output and a line out from your recorder is different, so the amp will handle the different loads differently. So, those pick squeals and other things that depend on a good strong feed into the amp won't respond quite the same as plugging your guitar into the amp. (A lot of stuff *can* work out okay, though.)

For that, you need a re-amping box. Radial makes a very good one. They're more expensive than most good DI boxes, but if that is your workflow for recording, it could well be a good investment. They're about $200.

Here is a link... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ReampKit/

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jan 22, 2009,
Thanks for your help!

so something likethis: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Radial-ProDI-Passive-Direct-Box?sku=153915
wouldn't be enough doesn't drive the signal hard enough? I would need to get the kit?

And would i be able to use my audio interfaces headphone jack as an output signal?
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Ibanez S470DX w/ Duncan JB & 59'
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB:
-Delay Pedal, 2 Veteran 30 Speakers, Duncan Blackouts set, Reverb Pedal
No. It is not a DI box. I looked it up and edited my post a bit further. I've never really understood impedance/resistance/etc very well, but it has to do with how the amp 'sees' the guitar being different from how the amp 'sees' the recorder, and how that behaves differently.

The reamp box changes the impedance from line level to instrument level, so the amp 'thinks' it's getting an instrument.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.