Page 1 of 2
So i got this guitar on musicgoround for 90 dollars plus 15 for shipping. in the pictures it looked like a serious piece of junk, but i know deep down inside these guitars are nice, hand-crafted in usa by peavey and all back in 1988 with a kahler tremolo and hand-wound pickups...

So lets take her apart, pics soon.
No, pics NAO!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Pic Pic Pic Pic Pic Pic Pic Pic Pic!!!!!now!
Quote by JDbbx
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Quote by jetfuel495
UUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Takamine G Series EG363SC Fund: $400/$499
Maybe i was wrong about the usa craftsman ship.

after running the 12'' block over the board 5 times.. you can see just how FLAT it was....

and sanded flat to 16,000 grit :

To my surprise the no-name tuners are stamped "Grover" inside :

the kahler tremolo :
Is that Kahler FR-like system any good?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Alrighty...

unfortunately for me, these fret slots are like a cheap obese las vegas prostitute.

throwin' a fret tang down a hallway here.

So... i had to do this the "old-fashioned" way.

You get yourself some titebond, a **** load of rubber bands, and hopefully plenty of extra fretwire (thank you warmoth for sending enough to do 2 guitars in one set).

Cut the fretwire big on each side... and it is VERY likely that the middle of the fret will not stay in on any fret...ever. a sure sign of this is when you can push the fret up and down with your finger.

Here is the basic mission of a re-fret : frets are secure, and level. the frets almost never stick to the radius of the neck perfectly, so you fill the slot with titebond, press it in, and then rubber-band clamp the fret in. you coulddddd superglue the middle of the fret down, but.... have fun scraping super glue squeeze out off of your 14,000 grit-sanded fretboard... :

Dont worry about the titebond on the frets/board, naptha and some 0000 steel wool will make short work of it, and the oil will hide it if it doesn't.

well this is going to take all night, i hate doing this.
but your restoring an amazing instrument that many hands can make sweet love to as they bend on the 22nd fret and preform dive bombs like herman li. Also, I assume you were saying the USA craftsmanship was good?
How much did you say you got this thing for again?
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Why don't you clamp down the middle of the frets so that part stays down too?

Or would that cause the edges to warp after the bands come off?
I thought you could crimp the fret tangs to make them grab a slot that's too wide for them...
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Pullers,_nippers,_sizing/FretFitter.html

if you are talking abotu that tool, all that does is make the fret tang smaller, for tighter slots. pressing a "slight scallop" in the fret never really helps and it just makes the fret tang crooked.
Last edited by LP Addict at Jan 23, 2009,
Hey is this the nitro custom that you got in white? I never opened that file until later, and man that thing looks kickin. If this is it, this guitar is going to kick major butt when you're done with it, what a find...what a find indeed! Is it worth spending a few minute digging through the musicgoround every once in a while, or is this a once in a lifetime deal kinda thing?
haha get me on aim if you want a few deals, they are not easy to find.

and this is the black one, the white one is 120, im gonna get that one after i sell this one.
Last edited by LP Addict at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by LP Addict
haha get me on aim if you want a few deals, they are not easy to find.

and this is the black one, the white one is 120, im gonna get that one after i sell this one.

Thanks for the heads up man, I'll let you know when my balance get's over the double digit mark
alright, refret level crown polish is done.

i didnt want to admit it,
but i've gotta say it.

this guitar plays just as good if not better than both of the ones i have built. the old-ass handwound pickups sound GREAT. youtube video and pics?
Quote by guitarcam123
nice find,
why do you get all the good stuff?

This Lp this is what I want answered also.

Edit: Yes on the Video and pics>
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Last edited by Unherolike at Jan 23, 2009,
Musicgoround is impossible to search. I would look for some deals if I had the patience of a saint. Feel free to IM me, LPaddict if you find any good deals on stuff to mod. AIM is chuckflan333
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by LP Addict
alright, refret level crown polish is done.

i didnt want to admit it,
but i've gotta say it.

this guitar plays just as good if not better than both of the ones i have built. the old-ass handwound pickups sound GREAT. youtube video and pics?

YES PLEASE

Also, LP, how do you do your videos and whatnot? With a camera and you just use the sound that it takes, or do you take the video of yourself playing and sync it with a track you recorded on your computer at the same time, or what?

I've always wanted to do video demos and stuff, and I have no idea how to get a high quality sound and video at the same time. The mic on my camera is pinhole, therefore majorly sucky for recording sound.
Why did no one tell me about Musicgoround now I can't stop looking at cheap guitars thanks guys. No wonder LP gets such good deals/steals on guitars.
just dont buy the peaveys, or i'll find you.

the worst part is, you call them to buy something or get more pictures and they are like, yeah well get those out to you soon, you wont get them for a week.
Quote by LP Addict
just dont buy the peaveys, or i'll find you.

the worst part is, you call them to buy something or get more pictures and they are like, yeah well get those out to you soon, you wont get them for a week.

<.<
>.>
>.<
Darn.....No if I'm gonna get any of them I'll go the Charvel's or other Jacksons or at least the B.c Riches I know Bc's suck but I just want to build on to them I don't always want to play them. Or build stuffs out of them. Or just get those cheap little Gio's
Quote by LP Addict
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Pullers,_nippers,_sizing/FretFitter.html

if you are talking abotu that tool, all that does is make the fret tang smaller, for tighter slots. pressing a "slight scallop" in the fret never really helps and it just makes the fret tang crooked.

I had actually not seen that. It was just an idea I had, and it seems ol' MacDonald thought of it too. But I can see why you wouldn't wanna do it. I'd probably try to avoid it too. I'd sorta consider it "bad form" or something, for lack of a better term.
yeah, its interesting actually, i didnt even have to level the frets. I put the marker on them, put my level across every surface of them one time and all of the marker was gone, didnt even bother crowning them, just polished em and called it a day.
Quote by LP Addict
there is a BC rich on there i was looking at, a few washburns, nothing worth any time in charvel/kramer section. A good Aria Pro II too.

Were you looking at the Bc Rich Rave?.......You leave the Rave alone I call Dibs....Now if only I had money.
Quote by LP Addict
no you dont want raves, those are like squires. the one i was looking at was the assassin or something, platinum series for like 150 dollars.

They had an Assassin? I'm checking that again.

Edit: Okay so I looked and saw this the BC RICH NJ GUNSLINGER $239.99 which yeah is the assassin basically only big diference is the fact that they are the flat top compared to the carve tops of the assassin...... If thats not the one I just can't read.

Edit: Never mind you already responded.
Last edited by Unherolike at Jan 23, 2009,
Page 1 of 2