So i just started the woodworking class at my school. Initially the teacher wasn't gonna let me build a guitar for a final due to her and her cousin trying to build one, looked good, but didn't work (for the neck the just used a long drill bit to drill for the rod)
So she had me get plans and such and write all things I needed to build the body of the guitar (as I will be purchasing a pre-made neck) I decided to build an explorer. Though a strat would be simple and easy, I knew i've always wanted an explorer and would kick myself later for not building one.
It will be a bolt-on neck and I'm getting everything, even the wood (the teacher will pay up to a certain amount for it) factory or sawmill direct. I plan to get all hardware and the neck from guitarfetish (opinions? I've heard good things bout their pups)

I can use just about any wood I want. I learned that my KH-202 and strat are both basswood and love the tone. Though I want the thick sound of my all mahogany Gibson Les Paul. I was originally gonna go with building the body out of Basswood. But I plan to finish it in a stain similar to a Ken Lawrence. I was thinking mahogany body and possibly a walnut top.
I don't think I can start this til next quarter, so i'm just asking for opinions on the idea. I may build a bolt-on Moderne just for a practice run.

Comments/Opinions/Tips/Ideas?
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
Last edited by jafar007 at Jan 22, 2009,
IMO, Mahogany or Limba (Korina) are the only correct woods for an explorer. May I presume the neck is being bought from Warmoth?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I do not plan to buy a neck from Warmoth as I do not know how long it will take for it to arrive and they can get pricey.
I'm planning to get my neck from GuitarFetish for the reason of its affordability and it comes with neck mount holes not drilled, the tuner holes drilled, and a free graphite nut installed to boot
I've heard bad things about GFS necks... Otter had one come TWISTED. That, sir, is unfixable.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
hey, im making an explorer too, lol
2008 was the year of the RR24 V, and i gu4ess this year is the year of the explorer

anyways, since you're gettting you hardware from guitarfetish, you should get a protube lipstick humbuckers, and a hardtail bridge
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
Many people here will advise against guitarfetish hardware, as it has been low quality. I got a vintage-style strat bridge, and I like it, but I'm still going to replace the saddles (with Graphtec ones). On the other hand, the bridge was $35, compared to a similar Fender one for $100. So if you're willing to get hardware of iffy quality in exchange for great prices, go for it.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
The hardware is decent (not great, but decent) and is RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
if you're getting pickups from them make sure you dont get anything that uses a ceramic magnet.

may i also suggest something like and all-parts strat replacement neck instead? you can get a paddle headstock to cut out the explorer shape
Mahogany Body, Maple top, Dimebucker Bridge P.U., 59' Classic Neck P.U., Maple Neck with Ebony Fretboard and a Floyd Rose. It'll be pricey but it'd be the dopest custom I've ever seen.
Jeff! I finally found you on here.

Its hahua... haha
Quote by selibucaz
and i tried to take apart a vibrator, and use that for one (now my moms mad at me) so i know a vibrator wount work

MY GEAR:
Fender Wine Red MIM Fat Strat
Epiphone SG Special
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Frontman 15G
wow, I just am finishing up a mahogany explorer bass for my woodshop class. Weird coincidence eh.
I understand quality may be compromised with guitarfetish hardware. I'm only in tenth grade and work a retail job and my parents make me save half. The least I can spend in the beginning the better, as this is my first build and almost a gauge to see if i'd be interested in building more. If it doesn't work, then I won't have blown a large amount and I have extra parts if I ever buy a project guitar. If need be, I will replace hardware overtime as seen fit.
Quote by FOBSESSION
Jeff! I finally found you on here.

Its hahua... haha

dude i didnt know you were on here! lol
Quote by Diamond Dave
if you're getting pickups from them make sure you dont get anything that uses a ceramic magnet.

may i also suggest something like and all-parts strat replacement neck instead? you can get a paddle headstock to cut out the explorer shape

Well, that's inane. Have you ever heard a GOOD ceramic mag? They're very good for a lot of gain, and some clean up remarkably well (EVO 2 is what I'm think in of). Also, those FR's are HORRIBLE. Get a good one... LP addict can get you 35% off the allparts order for you. Gotoh FR there will cost you $107, which is good considering it will last about 20-30 years before needing sharpening.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Jan 22, 2009,
If you are on a budget, look for a cheap used strat knockoff and use parts from that
Quote by Dr. House
If you are on a budget, look for a cheap used strat knockoff and use parts from that

i was thinking of hijacking the tuners and bridge from my squier (which need refretting) the bridge might need new saddles too but w/e
I personally was gonna go for black hardware but hell, if it works I'll be anal about hardware color
oh man i almost built a moderne, then almost an explorer, then to my firebird XD I love the moderne i wanna make one someday...
ya i agree about the allparts stuff, i got my neck from there, it didnt come with a nut, but its not that much trouble, and it has BEAUTIFUL rosewood (check my sig). i got the mahogany/rosewood angled paddle neck.
the two major stores where i live both stock parts from allparts and various other websites like WDmusic, so thats where i got most of my stuff, and although im not done, it all seems to be decent stuff. granted i did buy my bridge pup local, neck pup ebay, bridge and bigsby ebay tuners musiciansfriend i think...or was it guitarprtscanada.com...
any ways i cant wait to see this!
do not by any means get a guitarfetish neck. anything from there except the neck. you'll thank me later.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I'm doing the same thing this year aswell im building an explorer with a pre-made neck. I'm thinking about buying the neck from here-
http://guitarparts.net.au/
personally i like the jackson-style at the bottom of the page.
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
dont use guitar fetish parts, there only good for their pickups. Get parts through LP Addict and nutthinbuttrubl8...