Basically im trying to get my Lp on clean to sound like a tele, more spesifically like the clean tone in last train home by lostprophets.

If it means anything at band practise i use a epi LP custom and a peavey valveking and for the gig im doin next month ill likely be using a Marshall DSL2000.

Oh and i already use both pickups which gets my quite close, and i could do with some new strings which will also help alot lol.
Last edited by Zakk_Lp at Jan 22, 2009,
HB-sized P-90s.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
treble

Roll down tone using bridge pickup, up the treble and middle on the amp (like, 6 middle, 10 treble) and see how that goes

Obviously, use the clean channel
You could try coil splitting, I know someone who did that, and the Jimmy Page Mod to try to get his LP to sound more like a Tele.
Nothing drastic guys i only need it for a song or two nothing like new pickups or owt.
Quote by athlete1
how about making it sound like a les paul

But then it'll sound like a les paul's clean sound, which imho is mediocre at best. But i'm a fan of single coil cleans
Quote by shoolocomous
But then it'll sound like a les paul's clean sound, which imho is mediocre at best. But i'm a fan of single coil cleans

Nahh man if you like mellow cleans like i use the most and know what your doin you can get an amazing clean tone its just its abit too chunky for the song and on the treble pickup alone its just blahh, i theres just something missing.
dude the clean/dirty comes from the amp not the guitar...they are going to sound different, but they arent better than eachother, they are just different. maybe you should be using a fender amp instead, to get really clean cleans.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
^ it comes from the pickups and guitar construction too. plug a tele and Les Paul into the same (good, tube) amp and they're going to sound very different.

coil splitting, as advised by GNRjungle87, is probably your best bet (if your stock pickups are 4-conductor, which they might not be). or you could try parallel, but in my (limited) experience, parallel is a more "usable" tone, but doesn't sound as close to single coils.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 22, 2009,
thats what I said, that they will sound different. but not mediocre like he said.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
if you want to make you les paul sound like a tele, then buy a tele. Problem solved.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by this&that
if you want to make you les paul sound like a tele, then buy a tele. Problem solved.

that's making a tele sound like tele.

it bugs me when people say that.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
^yeah your right, but there is no way to make an lp sound like a tele, only a tele will sound like a tele, which is why he said that...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
^yeah your right, but there is no way to make an lp sound like a tele, only a tele will sound like a tele, which is why he said that...

he's just trying to get a similar tone, i'm sure he doesn't expect it to sound EXACTLY like a tele. he said it to be a smart ass.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
playing close to the bridge gives it some sort of a twangy soud, so see if you like that and then play as close to the bridge as possible. use the bridge pup, crank the tone knob, use a lot of treble and use your mids so it doesnt get muddy. i'd keep the bass at like 4
Quote by fifer

no a strat can sound like a tele? well the bridge
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Quote by Felttoaster
no a strat can sound like a tele? well the bridge
No, it really can't, especially not the bridge.

As far as the LP-sounding-like-a-tele goes, I wouldn't worry about it too much. On the recording it was a thinline Tele with a both humbuckers on (middle position). Your LP will sound a bit darker of course but it's not the guitar really. It's more the amp that's the key.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
My tele I use to get Les Paul tones It's real bassy, though.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by shoolocomous

heres a hard one to figure out... sell the paul... buy a tele or strat...
Quote by clay pots
he's just trying to get a similar tone, i'm sure he doesn't expect it to sound EXACTLY like a tele. he said it to be a smart ass.

I said it cause its true douchebag, if you buy a les paul its because you want a les paul tone, if you wanted something else then you shouldn't have bought the les paul.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by this&that
I said it cause its true douchebag, if you buy a les paul its because you want a les paul tone, if you wanted something else then you shouldn't have bought the les paul.

im gunna hav to cuz its true +1
Quote by fifer
thats what I said, that they will sound different. but not mediocre like he said.

whoops, i totally misread your post. sorry about that.

(how clean and how dirty will be affected by the pickups too, of course, but yeah, a lot of that's in the amp as well)

Quote by MrFlibble
No, it really can't, especially not the bridge.

older-style strats with the bridge pickup bypassing the tone knob can sound pretty twangy, but you're right, still not exactly like a tele. slightly closer than a coil-split, but still not exactly "close".

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?