Ok im sure this has been asked a thousand times but what exactly happened.Did he go back in time so he could die so she wouldnt.It confused me so if youv seen it please help.Thanks.
John 5Dimebag DarrelJimi HendrixSlash Foo Fighters

He spent most of the film in an alternate universe.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

He went back in time and created the internetz movie data basz
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
I think it's a paradox. Every time I watch it I go "OOOOOH, I GET IT!" and then like 5 minutes later I'm like... "wait... that doesn't make sense"

I could be wrong, maybe another, more educated UGer will help you.
I thought the movie sucked to be fair but i see many people disagree...
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
Is it just me, or does

=

?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Okay, In my high school AP English class we watched an analyzed this movie.
First off, damn good movie.

Now then, this entire movie is encompassing the theory of multiple split, or alternate, universes. With his we have our hero, Donnie, who have diverged onto an alternate time line parallel with the original. As the hero, Donnie must either give his own life to save ALL the universes or ALL universes will cease to exist. Donnie's death was avoided when his Pookah(animal, usually a rabbit, which guides the hero through the alternate universe) pulls him out of his room, thus beginning the parallel universe which we see through most of the movie. With the way the movie ends we see that Donnie followed the Pookah's instructions and gave his own life for those he loved.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Donnie Darko goes in the garbage at the end of the film. No really, throw that DVD in the trash.

I guess im not the only one. High five!
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
To fully understand what happened in the movie you have to check out their site and read a bunch of crap. It wasn't that great of a movie, really.
i thought that movie was total trash...
Out of strength to fight,
I cannot take another night.
I cannot take it no more.
Quote by rocky_horror
i thought that movie was total trash...

Why does everyone hate it? I thought it was a good movie...
Quote by Arch1119
Okay, In my high school AP English class we watched an analyzed this movie.
First off, damn good movie.

Now then, this entire movie is encompassing the theory of multiple split, or alternate, universes. With his we have our hero, Donnie, who have diverged onto an alternate time line parallel with the original. As the hero, Donnie must either give his own life to save ALL the universes or ALL universes will cease to exist. Donnie's death was avoided when his Pookah(animal, usually a rabbit, which guides the hero through the alternate universe) pulls him out of his room, thus beginning the parallel universe which we see through most of the movie. With the way the movie ends we see that Donnie followed the Pookah's instructions and gave his own life for those he loved.

Ahh da**it thank you very much.Its actually pretty easy to understand.Once again thanks

EDIT:Yeah why does everybody hate it I actually liked it pretty well.
John 5Dimebag DarrelJimi HendrixSlash Foo Fighters

Last edited by slash457 at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by slash457
Ahh da**it thank you very much.Its actually pretty easy to understand.Once again thanks

EDIT:Yeah why does everybody hate it I actually liked it pretty well.

No problem, we had to write a couple essay's over it so it's nothing to summarize what is really going on in a literary sense.
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
No i dont think Donnie time travelled, He killed frank the rabbit before the frank the rabbit could travel back in time to save donnies life by luring him out of the house, thus donnie died.. IMO
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Last edited by xander307 at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by 20cdndollars
I think it's a paradox. Every time I watch it I go "OOOOOH, I GET IT!" and then like 5 minutes later I'm like... "wait... that doesn't make sense"

I could be wrong, maybe another, more educated UGer will help you.

By not getting it, this guy totally gets it.

It's basically the grandfather paradox.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
You would be correct TS.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by xander307
No i dont think Donnie time travelled, He killed frank the rabbit before the frank the rabbit could travel back in time to save donnies life by luring him out of the house, thus donnie died.. IMO

Read my post, Frank is a "rabbit", he is the pookah who guides Donnie bro, trust me I've read more of this **** than one would read on their own. When one follows the pookah instructions, the entire time continuum turns back and it goes to the moment when the alternate universe split and then set it back to the original time line with the death of Donnie.
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
People don't like it not because they don't get it, but because the movie frames itself like there is more to get than there is.

Yeah, the alternate universe idea is clear enough, but then it's filled with self indulgent teenage angstyness and allusions to a bunch of other films that don't actually contribute anything to the overall meaning of the movie...

Director/writer tried to cram in as much "meaningful" imagery and references that the whole movie is giant mess that leaves thoughtful veiwers wondering "well what was the point?" at the end. That and it's damn hard to like a movie in which you have no emotional attachment to the main character.

Good enough acting and good (even if over-the-top to the point of cliche) cinematography, but there's just no depth beneath the surface of the film.

I think it's a film for people that want to feel like they're in and "get it" without having to actually think. Or people that just feel like the world doesn't get them and somehow manage to relate with the characters...
Why the hell did the mother and girlfriend wave at each other. What the hell was that about?
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
O CANADA!
So I saw it and understood it but I needed more info on it. Basically Frank appears to give him the option to enter an alternate universe and....dammit I'm confused. To enter an alternate universe and change events? I think Frank was trying to find a way to prevent his own death and keep Donnie alive from the airplane accident.