Page 1 of 2
so today me and a group of friends were talking about psychology and other stuff..

and this question arrived:

What If we see Colours differently?

I've been thinking about it tonight, and I though it was really strange. For example, everyone knows the grass is green, but what If my green is your red.

what do you think of this UG?

and discuss other psychological quandaries that you may have.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

You mean like, if what we see as red looks like (our) green in their eyes, but they still know the color as red?

I've been wondering the same thing for years. No way to prove it.
Last edited by Zecromancer at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by Jaymz_515
I like your sig, green's my favourite colour.

HAHAHAHAHA
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
but why is yellow always hard to see next to white, same with white and grey... but i still debate it also like you do.
Last edited by selibucaz at Jan 22, 2009,
I myself had wrestled with this conundrum until I realized complementary colors wouldn't be complementary if we all saw them differently.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
You could test this, in fact.

1. paint 10 or so boxes with blanks under them
2. get test subject(s)
3. have them take the test in separate rooms
4. compare results
It would be a question of biology and actual physical properties of the nerves in the eye and brain. It possibly could be answered, but it would extremely difficult. I've often wondered the same thing however.

Black and white would always be the same however, as those two colors are picked up by different cells in the eye.

An interesting question is, what if everybody really has the same favorite color?

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Quote by will123456789
so today me and a group of friends were talking about psychology and other stuff..

and this question arrived:

What If we see Colours differently?

I've been thinking about it tonight, and I though it was really strange. For example, everyone knows the grass is green, but what If my green is your red.

what do you think of this UG?

and discuss other psychological quandaries that you may have.

Me and my friends had this exact conversation and concluded that it is nearly impossible.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by Zecromancer
You mean like, if what we see as red looks like (our) green in their eyes, but they still know the color as red?

I've been wondering the same thing for years. No way to prove it.

I mean like we all know that UG black is black(ish).

but what if we saw the black as a different colour between us. like some people would see it is my red. but they would still call it black..

Theres obviously no way to prove it, but i thought it was an interesting thought.
and Imagine if we switched worlds and it was totally different to your colour schemes. I think that would be amazing.

just a few of my fans..

I've been wondering the exact same thing.

But i guess the fact that we all recognize when people mention a color being brighter or darker. That would be a bit tough to screw up. Unless since your colors are different, you learned bright as dark and dark as light. But i guess we'll never know.

...i confused myself...*sigh*... i need some waffles...

EDIT: Maybe if we figured out how to do brain switches like in movies and stuff. Although if we could do that I'm sure every guy here in the Pit would switch with a girl and play with their boobs and schlick. I know i would!

...I mean...wait...what?
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Last edited by PhillyHendrix at Jan 22, 2009,
Thought about it before, and then discarded the thought.

We all agree yellow is a very vibrant and bright color, at least from my point of view. If you're yellow is my black, then you certainly would not agree that yellow (what I see as black) is not vibrant and bright.
It's based upon this that we can basically assume we all see colors the same, there's no real way to prove that we all perceive colors in the same way though i guess.
Last edited by Limabean231 at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by Cutlass_253
It would be a question of biology and actual physical properties of the nerves in the eye and brain. It possibly could be answered, but it would extremely difficult. I've often wondered the same thing however.

Black and white would always be the same however, as those two colors are picked up by different cells in the eye.

An interesting question is, what if everybody really has the same favorite color?

You just blew my ****ing mind...

Also, I've thought about this numerous times.
i used to think this when i was in middle school, but now i realize that colors are made up of different wavelengths being absorbed and reflected by objects, so basically they are a certain color. Even in pitch darkness, the physical properties of an object can be analyzed to determine its color without it ever being "seen"

this is the same with sound, we all hear the same frequencies
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by imicius
You could test this, in fact.

1. paint 10 or so boxes with blanks under them
2. get test subject(s)
3. have them take the test in separate rooms
4. compare results

This wouldn't work though. It would be like I saw red as green and you saw red as red. We would both think we were right. If we both saw a red box, id say "Hey that's red", and so would you. It'd be like the names of colours were switch around. Like this sort of:

BlueRedGreen

Technically, it's impossible to ever know.
I've tried to tell this exact same thing to my friends but none of them have really understood...

I think about this alot.
I mean, if I teach a child that red is red, he'll call it red but his red might be my blue!
Quote by dubstar92
Me and my friends had this exact conversation and concluded that it is nearly impossible.

white next to yellow....
Quote by Vasser
I myself had wrestled with this conundrum until I realized complementary colors wouldn't be complementary if we all saw them differently.

aye this is true..

I was thinking that, like with the awesome contrasts in Tim burton films.

just a few of my fans..

Quote by selibucaz
white next to yellow....

I don't understand....
grok it.

SKREAM!

Quote by selibucaz
white next to yellow....

But what if your white is another mans pink and your yellow his black?
Quote by dubstar92

While it would be unlikely that I see your blue as my red, I think that it wouldn't be too outrageous to wonder if my "red" is slightly darker or lighter than your "red", though they are the same base color they might be a slightly different shade or hue.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I've tried to tell this exact same thing to my friends but none of them have really understood...

I think about this alot.
I mean, if I teach a child that red is red, he'll call it red but his red might be my blue!

By that logic, anyone who doesn't think in English sees colours differently from you, because the word is just a label.
I thought about that, when I was like 12.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Cutlass_253
While it would be unlikely that I see your blue as my red, I think that it wouldn't be too outrageous to wonder if my "red" is slightly darker or lighter than your "red", though they are the same base color they might be a slightly different shade or hue.

Yeah, that's way more likely

but to go upon what I said earlier. Certain colors "match" because they are opposite each other on a color wheel. So unless there was a pattern in the differences between the colors we see, which is again highly improbable, we would think different colors matched.

Quote by luke-bassist
I think TS is colourblind, but red grass would be awesomely awesome!

I choose to refer to the color you know as "green" to be red. Therefore my grass is red even though it is the same color as your green grass. Color is only concept and perception.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Last edited by dubstar92 at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by MightyAl
By that logic, anyone who doesn't think in English sees colours differently from you, because the word is just a label.

The word is just label.
All words are labels, what the **** else are they?

It's not like every stone has "STONE" imprinted on it or something, we label everything.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
The word is just label.
All words are labels, what the **** else are they?

The point being that what people will call a colour depends upon their vocabulary. As such, it's very difficult to objectively compare perception of colour, either qualitatively or quantitatively.
Its perfectly easy to test. Observe.

"What colour is this banana?"

"Why, its pink of course"

"No, its fucking yellow".

Analyse results.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

Analyse results.

It depends what someone thinks pink means.
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

Analyse results.

You're obviously color blind

edit: and on a serious note, please define pink
grok it.

SKREAM!

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

Analyse results.

no because we both label the colour of the banana yellow.. but if I sit Is Your pink, and you see it as your yellow, we would both think we're right. and obviously there is no way to prove it..

just a few of my fans..

Quote by wesleyisgay
you have no clue how hard is is to explain this to your friends.

If they're his friends, how would you know how difficult it is.
grok it.

SKREAM!

I definitely first thought of that when I was like eight... old news for me.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Searchbar.

And yes, there's a word for it... a word I've forgotten.

But, it applied to all of our senses. We are currently unable to explain our senses, with our current communication skills. Maybe in the next step of evolution...
Page 1 of 2