I have been watching the videos on youtube, and it seems that whenever someone uses it for something requiring alot of distortion, it produces a loud hum. I was wondering if this is just a few videos, or an intended side effect of this guitar.
Beware : I am honest, but not brutal
It's got single coil pickups in it. You can get them (fat strat HSS) with a humbucker - a pickup that, as the namesake implies - bucks the hum you get from a single coil, which you saw in the video.

You can also buy one with a singlecoil and do aftermarket mods to it - they even sell whole faceplates with the pickups pre-installed.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I have an American strat, and I barely notice any hum when using high gain or distortion. Yes, its single pickup, so its going to be a bit noticeable compared to buckers, but I suspect the youtube videos you are seeing just have a lot of feedback in their setups. The American strat is a beautiful guitar....its an icon for a reason. Don't let a few clown videos on youtube make your decision....try one for yourself.
depends on amp too.

so, you can shield them, you can get quite singles, and you can use quality amp and cables.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Single coils always hum, it's just what they do. Even when clean they occasionally have slight hum.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
So has anyone played both the HSS version and the American standard? Any key differences?

My style of music is pretty much anything, from Jazz to metal to all out rock. Which one is best for all 3?
some hum comes from the amp too
i've put 2 high output 'buckers in my strat making it a HSH
a lot less hum and sounds a lot better imho, i need to use a lot less gain to get a good metal distortion too

the HSS would be better for metal & harder rock, either of them could do jazz/ blues and some rock
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by DeltaFunk
Single coils always hum, it's just what they do. Even when clean they occasionally have slight hum.

they dont all hum. some are pretty quiet.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Gormanilius
So has anyone played both the HSS version and the American standard? Any key differences?

My style of music is pretty much anything, from Jazz to metal to all out rock. Which one is best for all 3?

Mostly the pickups.

Honestly, go Mexistrat and swap the bridge out for an american synchronized with flat saddles and get a new pickup. You'll be ahead. IMO anyway.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
HSS vs. SSS simply comes down to taste. I wouldn't make your choice based on the hum alone; it's not really a major problem, and the MIAs have pretty good pickups anyway. Try them both and see what you like.

Personally, I like SSS. I couldn't care less about the bridge pickup, but I'm a big fan of the out-of-phase sounds you get from positions 2 and 4, and you lose this (well, one of them) if you put a humbucker in the bridge.
Quote by anotherbluesguy
HSS vs. SSS simply comes down to taste. I wouldn't make your choice based on the hum alone; it's not really a major problem, and the MIAs have pretty good pickups anyway. Try them both and see what you like.

Personally, I like SSS. I couldn't care less about the bridge pickup, but I'm a big fan of the out-of-phase sounds you get from positions 2 and 4, and you lose this (well, one of them) if you put a humbucker in the bridge.

I am kindof confuzed as to what you mean by out-of-phaze sounds. Is there a video?

Also, just a quick question. Not important to fender, but can a Ibanez RG2550X only do metal, or can it do jazz as well?
what's your amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Marshall: MG15CD 15 Watt Combo

It will be awhile before I upgrade to something better. Actually I plan on buying one of the 3 guitars mentioned, some pedals, and then a better amp
Quote by Gormanilius
Marshall: MG15CD 15 Watt Combo

It will be awhile before I upgrade to something better. Actually I plan on buying one of the 3 guitars mentioned, some pedals, and then a better amp

Spend the $100, get a freaking Vypyr 15, sell your marshall, and then get a guitar/pedal.
Quote by JustinHorne

Spend the $100, get a freaking Vypyr 15, sell your marshall, and then get a guitar/pedal.

Nahh, when I get an amp, I am getting a really high quality one
Quote by jj1565
depends on amp too.

so, you can shield them, you can get quite singles, and you can use quality amp and cables.

yep, i just got a single coil american strat, i love it, when i use distortion on my VOX (ad15vt) theres no hum, but when i plug into my toneport its everywhere, i might put a dimarzio PAF in there, but i kinda like the single coils
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
yep, i just got a single coil american strat, i love it, when i use distortion on my VOX (ad15vt) theres no hum, but when i plug into my toneport its everywhere, i might put a dimarzio PAF in there, but i kinda like the single coils

how does that fit into a sigle-coil
and how does the tremolo bar work? does it kill the tuning?
Quote by jj1565
they dont all hum. some are pretty quiet.
True! To further reduce unwanted noise/interference after shielding the cavities and PG, replace the regular wiring with shielded wiring, ala Gibson. I don't know why Fender doesn't standardize with shielded wires ... or, perhaps they already do in 2008/2009. But most of the Fenders I've seen, other than the CS ones have regular wires.

Quote by Gormanilius

the tremolo bar is floating, it can pull up about a step and go down as far as you want basically, its almost like a mini floyd, it doesnt go out of tune too often. not as much as you might think
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Quote by Gormanilius

If you sit there and divebomb for 20 minutes straight, you might have to tweak your tuning, but so far Ive had absolutely no issues with tuning. Part of that is because the factory winding that Fender does is top notch, and there isnt much room for the strings to slip on the machine heads. If you poorly string your guitar though it will slip easier.
mine hums with deathmetal distortion, thats why i have my ibby for that.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

mine can distort without humming up to a certain level, but once you get to the cannibal corpse style distortion it starts to hum
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
*bump*
i just bought a brand new one a few days ago, it buzzes alot more than im used to with my les paul, but it isnt that bad.... thats why theres a volume knob if your not playing it... the way it sounds makes it so worth the buzz though
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by voteforpedro36
American Deluxes have noiseless pups, it helps a lot.

and doers it sound nice?
Quote by Gormanilius
and doers it sound nice?

Yeah, with the S-1 switching it can achieve a lot of sounds. The pickups are just a tad hotter than those on the Standard though.
Quote by Gormanilius
I am kindof confuzed as to what you mean by out-of-phaze sounds. Is there a video?

It's just another name for the parallel selections (bridge + middle and middle + neck), also called the "quack" sounds. The middle pickup is wound in reverse, so there's cancelation of certain tones, hence the "out-of-phase" term. It doesn't sound nearly as wacky as you'd think; it's quite a mellow tone actually. Mark Knopfler is notorious for his use of it (see for instance here), but it's been used by all the big strat players at some point.

Quote by Gormanilius
Also, just a quick question. Not important to fender, but can a Ibanez RG2550X only do metal, or can it do jazz as well?

Any instrument can do any genre. If you want to play metal with a piccolo you can (and people have). If you want to play jazz on an Ibanez, you can.