My friend thinks that you get what you pay for when it comes to guitars.

Page 1 of 2
Pretty stupid if you ask me. He thinks his Jackson WRMG is twice as good as my Schecter C-1 FR since I payed 300$ for it(pretty good deal) and he payed 750ish for his. Anyways his is probably better but Schecters IMO are really good deals. If guitars actually as good as what you paid what would both our guitars be worth?
Errr....you DO get what you pay for (in most cases).
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
No he's right usually the more you pay the better quality you'll get.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
price =/= quality and a lot of guitars come down to preference.
EDIT: im talking about closely priced guitars
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Usually the higher priced guitars are better quality, some, such as Gibson are over priced, so it doesn't always mean the guitar is better.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
you always get what you pay for, sometimes that includes the name brand though ie. Gibson
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Got mine REAL cheap. $99. But it's not the guitar its the guitarist... and I wouldn't bay that much for a guitar I'm gonna shred to pieces anyway
Eternity isn't long
If all you so is sleep
And forever is just a little while
If all you do is dream.

All Alone is All we Are
Yeah I know that a 200$ guitar can't stand to a 500$ guitar, but he acts like the quality is dependent on the price.
Your friend is full of ****.

End of story.

And for the record, my two hundred dollar squier is godly. I upgraded the **** outta it and it plays better than any standerd Fender, bestest only by the Americans ones no one can beat.

My Epiphone custom plays the same as a mid level Gibson.

You rarely get what you pay for, unless you buy a guitar that doesn't compliment your style. Get a decent guitar and if it matches your style it's worth a ****load more.

End. Of. Story.
Gibson. Gibson Gibson Gibson.

Price =/= reliability or quality; for 3 grand I damn well expect not to hear any horror stories.
Quote by Berlin2222
Yeah I know that a 200$ guitar can't stand to a 500$ guitar, but he acts like the quality is dependent on the price.

EDIT: 2 things I need to contribute.
1) In most cases, price=quality. However, when it comes to bigger names like Fender or Gibson, a lot of what you're paying for is the name.

2) I think this thread was started so the OPer could get some reassurance that he doesn't play a ****ty quality instrument.
Last edited by Knackersacky at Jan 22, 2009,
Cort Guitars.

Enough said.

Awesome instruments, VERY cheap for their quality.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
you dont always get what you pay for. just look at GIBSON! the basic studio models SHOULD cost like ~$900 yet they cost like $1300! i played one the other day, it was a nice guitar, but not a guitar worth 4 digits.

but schecter could easily charge 50%more fr their guitars. they are great quality and use great componenets!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I wish we could say the same for amps...
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
Quality usually = price
I got a used Gibson Explorer standard for $750 and it is WAYYY better than any other 750 dollar guitar I have ever played.
so are you saying that this theory you have that if i buy a squire and then i buy a Fender MIA that the squire could quite possibly play better than the MIA....... no...
but when comparing different guitars within a couple hundred dollars of each other, yes there is differences and difference preferences.
c1's are great, so are jacksons. you're right
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
As a general rule of thumb, something that costs more generally has better quality. While this isn't always the case, most of the time it is. As others have pointed out, Gibson guitars tend to be overpriced, although the quality is quite good.

I've played Squire guitars. I wouldn't waste a dollar to upgrade one. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
He's right. Unless you get it used and you get a good deal. If you're buying retail, you DO get what you pay for.
Some of the differences in quality only show up over a long period of time. (Hardware, wood selection etc) Look at a cheap guitar in 10 years and compare it to a better quality material one, you'll soon see the difference.
Moving on.....
Quote by dudetheman

haha thats funny cuz you put your guitar in a case!

no i fail
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
Quote by Berlin2222
If guitars actually as good as what you paid what would both our guitars be worth?

Well, I'd say that would mean yours is worth $300, and his is worth $750ish.

In all seriousness, though, this really shouldn't be an issue. If you can't afford a guitar, then you just can't, and it really doesn't matter what it's like. You just have to try out as many guitars that you CAN afford, and find the one you like best. Beyond that, who cares? Are each of you going to put your guitars up for auction and compete?
Quote by joshua122593
You can't compare guitars by their price. Except Squiers and Epiphones.

Wrong.
Some Epis are as good as if not better than gibsons.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
yes dark_gilbert is right. some of those epi elitists were as good, if not better, than MOST gibson LP standards. thats why they stoped making them! :P:

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
you both messed up by not getting an ibanez even the cheap guitars are amazing
^no

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by dudetheman

You can buy a $200 squier, and then compare it to a $200 ESP.

I hope you know who'll win.
Quote by harboe12
you both messed up by not getting an ibanez even the cheap guitars are amazing

Except for the shit trems, godawful pickups and quality control issues.

But apart from that the cheap ones are good.
Quote by dark_gilbert
Wrong.
Some Epis are as good as if not better than gibsons.

I wish I could make myself believe that, would save a lot of money haha.

Price can be used as a rough judge of quality but the emphasis is on rough. Other factors such as where it was shipped from, import tax, type of components and woods and of course, the badge on teh headstock can all dramatically effect the price of a guitar. Personal preferenence > quality to a degree as well but the guitar still needs to be of a certain quality before the sounds its capabile of producing in the right hands are of decent quality. A good musician however can lower this threshold.

Best judge of how high quality a guitar is, is how good it sounds to the palyer, its ease of use and how long it can survive being gigged with not its pricetag.
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Yeah I guess I kind of contradicted myself. It just kinda pisses me off because I'm pretty good at guitar and he sucks, and he's acting like he's the **** because he got a new guitar that's worth more than mine.
Quote by Berlin2222
Yeah I guess I kind of contradicted myself. It just kinda pisses me off because I'm pretty good at guitar and he sucks, and he's acting like he's the **** because he got a new guitar that's worth more than mine.

there you go, your better than him, that should be more than enough to brush his $750 guitar. You have the skills, he has the money. money<skills
Quote by GoDrex
how much did you spend on upgrades and what were they?

yea i was kinda wondering that to, cause if you spent alot of money then arent you kinda contradicting yourself?
To a certain extent you do get what you pay for.

But when you enter the world of exotic stuff, like the robot guitar, exotic paint jobs, bong guitar, then you are paying for the gimmick.Not necessarily the sound quality of the guitar. But you still are getting something different for your money.

Well unless you buy a gibson. Then you are mostly paying for the name.
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Quote by KG6_Steven
As a general rule of thumb, something that costs more generally has better quality. While this isn't always the case, most of the time it is. As others have pointed out, Gibson guitars tend to be overpriced, although the quality is quite good.

I've played Squire guitars. I wouldn't waste a dollar to upgrade one. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

i could be wrong here but isnt the body + neck just about identical to fendeer?
so wouldn't the only difference be the pups and electronics?
if that is the case then i would think you could make that silk purse
Page 1 of 2