Page 1 of 2
I was reading an old interview in guitar player with the main article being about the black crowes cd "warpaint", and when asked on the subject of how the jam with jimmy page went, Rich Robinson said, "That took a while to fathom, but it sound great...i was happy that someone still plays sincere beautiful music because you don't hear it much...rock and roll used to have a sense of real electricity-not these putzes jumping around onstage with really loud amps."

So pit does Rich have a point? I disagree, i think there are many rock and heavy metal bands that still play because they love the sound of the music, not for the fame and fortune. Poll up in a sec.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Last edited by travd92 at Jan 22, 2009,
It definitely lost its spirit by the end of the 90's.

Only a couple of new rock bands do it for the music nowadays.
my same thoughts dio_dude. i know all i want to do is play loud and make great music.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

Hey hey, my myyyyyyyyyy.

Rock and roll will never die...
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
No, it's just the mainstream that's like that.
BLACKEDIT:
Rock n' roll ain't noise pollution,
Rock n' roll ain't gonna die!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Music still doesn't sound the same anymore, and for this I hate listening to the radio.

Edit: damn, beat
No means maybe
Quote by oneblackened

Rock n' roll ain't noise pollution,
Rock n' roll ain't gonna die!

HOOAH! VIVA LA ROCK!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Rock in roll it aint dead
I don't care what Rich said
It's alive and kicking
Loud music and lots of down pickin!

Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I don't think it's lost it's spirit, I think people won't let it evolve. You can only push a concept so far before it needs to change and grow. like that interview said, rock is just overrun with people that are just completely missing the point. rock hasn't lost it's spirit, it's just waiting for someone to come along and let it be re-born.
Some bands still have the spirit, but they do not get famous because they don't sing about suicide or their girlfriends breaking up with them.
but music always evolves. i agree about mainstream music, much of it is garbage. but andy timmons band, opeth, and pretty much anybody who was on ozzfest 07 (they didn't get paid on the tour) play because they enjoy the music.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

in a way.... you have too look harder now too find good bands, but with the boom of the internet it sort of balances out
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Nope, you just gotta find the right bands.

See an Old 97's or Drams show, you'll see what I'm talking about.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
I WANNA ROCK!!!

The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
The problem with 'bringing back Rock n roll' is getting hundreds of bands that think the only way to bring it back is to sound and act exactly like their idols. It becomes more of a pop trend than a legitimate passion and the scene gets saturated with these bands.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

I'd say there's always been bands who did it for the money and bands who didn't, but most rock bands seem to do it for a combination of both. I don't think there is a greater percentage of bands that do it for the money these days or anything, though.
Quote by shadowfoxomega
Todd Snider!

Or Neil Young, perhaps.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Every once in a while you get a real band like Judas Priest.. and the majority of the time you get a band like KISS, who did it for the money. They are the most commercialized band of ALL time.
Quote by Filter
Every once in a while you get a real band like Judas Priest.. and the majority of the time you get a band like KISS, who did it for the money. They are the most commercialized band of ALL time.

your favorite band alice in chains were supposed to be the opening band for kiss in 1996.
It has never died, its just that people have lost their interest in true rock. Great bands are out there, but unnoticed because of the shadow that bands like The Jonas Brothers cast. But now a days, rock seems to be rising up as the mainstream music again.
Don't lose hope!!!
Eternity isn't long
If all you so is sleep
And forever is just a little while
If all you do is dream.

All Alone is All we Are
Rock isnt dead, but the industry is trying to convert music into just a money-making business with generic bands like the Jonas Brothers and Fall Out Boy. At least we still have classic rocks artists like AC/DC to show them that theres more to music then that
Rock lost it's "true spirit" in the 60s.

THIS is "true" rock.

That was the first "rock n' roll". That's where it started. Nearly everything post-British Invasion isn't rock in its "true spirit".

So, technically, "true" rock has been rightfully "dead" (I use that term loosely,if you couldn't tell) for the past 50 years.
Quote by kxy1992
Rock isnt dead, but the industry is trying to convert music into just a money-making business with generic bands like the Jonas Brothers and Fall Out Boy. At least we still have classic rocks artists like AC/DC to show them that theres more to music then that

What do you think they were doing in the 60s and 70s? NOT trying to make money? Rock has almost always been a "money-making business". Since it was seen that it was popular, and could be a huge profit, labels jumped on it, and haven't let up since.

And AC/DC was one of them. They were massive popular, a label signed them, and now, ever since, they're plastered over so much merchandise that it's not even funny. I'm not saying they are/were marketed the same way as the "fad" bands of today, but there is very little difference between the bands, in terms of how they're sold and who likes them.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Jan 22, 2009,
There are plenty of bands out there. The difference is that back in the day these bands were signed up on record labels cause people loved that. But now, they aren't signed and the ones who are signed tend to be the once who do it just for the money. Blame the target audience.
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
inb4poll

Now, I think rock has lost its spirit. Like someone posted above, Rock and Roll was lost in the 60's. Guitarists like Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton took R&R and blues and created what we now think of as Rock. The 80's brought Heavy Metal and the 90's commandered Grunge. Then came the people that realized rock was about doing your own thing, which is good, but, unfortunately, these people created Alternative Rock. Since then, everyone who has called themselves rock has looked at the more modern musicians in place of the older ones. These people do not make their own style/sound as different as the people of the past. Now, let's look at the greats of their time:

This shows how much Rock has changed, and how there will always be guitar heros.
There are many more, but it took a while to compile all of the pics, so NO MORE!
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
i'm just stopping by to let you know that anyone who uses the phrase "the true spirit of rock'n roll" qualifies as one of the biggest cheeseballs of all time.
Quote by BerryTree

your favorite band alice in chains were supposed to be the opening band for kiss in 1996.

Troll my profile will you?! And they aren't my favorite.. I can listen to them.. And I have no problem with Kiss..
It's still alive and well, you just have to look past all the bands like nickelback.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by fallenangel20
What do you think they were doing in the 60s and 70s? NOT trying to make money? Rock has almost always been a "money-making business". Since it was seen that it was popular, and could be a huge profit, labels jumped on it, and haven't let up since.

And AC/DC was one of them. They were massive popular, a label signed them, and now, ever since, they're plastered over so much merchandise that it's not even funny. I'm not saying they are/were marketed the same way as the "fad" bands of today, but there is very little difference between the bands, in terms of how they're sold and who likes them.

No i meant into JUST a money-making business and not about the music. And forget AC/DC then, look at Zeppelin. They were hated by every critic, but they wrote and played what they wanted to cause they were in it for the music. Plus they didnt have many videos and stuff to make money off of
Rock n' Roll was fatally wounded in 1970 and finally breathed its last death rattle of a gasp in 1980.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Rock N' Roll died in 1989.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by NGD1313
i'm just stopping by to let you know that anyone who uses the phrase "the true spirit of rock'n roll" qualifies as one of the biggest cheeseballs of all time.

+1
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
No, rock and roll has not died or anything like that. Im tired of all this Classic Rock nostalgia.
About the only thing that has changed is that you don't receive a brick of cocaine as your signing bonus nowadays.
And i call BS on "Led Zeppelin was in it for the music" and not the money, ^^^^, groupies and power which came with fame. I seriously can't understand how people can't accept anything that has been made in the past 20 years as music. They try to cling to this sense of antiquity and about the only defense that they have is "its better because its older". I understand if you grew up with the music, and it brings back good memories when you listen to it but a majority of these Classic Rock nerds are teenagers.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Quote by DZCunuck
No, rock and roll has not died or anything like that. Im tired of all this Classic Rock nostalgia.
About the only thing that has changed is that you don't receive a brick of cocaine as your signing bonus nowadays.
And i call BS on "Led Zeppelin was in it for the music" and not the money, ^^^^, groupies and power which came with fame. I seriously can't understand how people can't accept anything that has been made in the past 20 years as music. They try to cling to this sense of antiquity and about the only defense that they have is "its better because its older". I understand if you grew up with the music, and it brings back good memories when you listen to it but a majority of these Classic Rock nerds are teenagers.

Classic Rock actually DID rock! nowadays these pop and punk bands play the same same stuff with the same power chord progressions and lyrics. At least back in the 60s and 70s there was originality
Page 1 of 2