i remember around this time last year you could get an epi lp standard for $400. now i can't find anything less than $549 (american of course). and the customs that used to be $600 are now $800. that's not even worth it. i thought they were overpriced before, but now it's just ludicrous.

why would they raise their prices so drastically?
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
back when I first started playing guitar, Gibson les paul studios were $1000, classics were $1400 and Standards were $1700.

It's called inflation.
Quote by clay pots
i remember around this time last year you could get an epi lp standard for $400. now i can't find anything less than $549 (american of course). and the customs that used to be $600 are now $800. that's not even worth it. i thought they were overpriced before, but now it's just ludicrous.

why would they raise their prices so drastically?

Gibson raised their prices aswel.

I would like to know why too.

the other companies arn't doing it?

I think its just because they can, and people still buy.

My friend just bought a gibson les paul....bad timing...
yeah I remember in 2006 when the gibson les paul faded mahogany was like 600. now its like 1000. I wouldnt buy an epi at full price now a days, or a gibson, or any guitar. used or refurbished is the way to go, I think.

edit: other companies have been doing it too....
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by al112987
back when I first started playing guitar, Gibson les paul studios were $1000, classics were $1400 and Standards were $1700.

It's called inflation.

inflation?

then why arn't some other companies doing it?

I think Gibson just likes money....just like everyone else and every other company.
economy is horrible, and also partly inflation, i dont like them anyway. some other brands have raised prices a little but gibson is by far the worst
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
inflation?

then why arn't some other companies doing it?

I think Gibson just likes money....just like everyone else and every other company.

i haven't seen other companies raise prices. fender has kept their prices the same for the most part (from what i've seen, completely).
Quote by Jackintehbox

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
It's because two key things have increased in price for Gibson, so their minimum sale price has had to go up:
  • The price of basic materials has gone up drastically, especially brass and tin which is used a lot in guitar manufacturing. Some materials now cost over twice what they did a year ago.
  • The cost of distribution has also risen. This I can't say why, because you'd have to ask each distributor individually, I believe it is more a social reaction to the economic problems rather than a necessary cost rise. Gibson did change their distributor recently to a slightly cheaper outfit though this seems to have backfired as the new distributor has gotten a bit 'power-crazy' and is causing merry hell just getting models into certain countries in great enough quantity; then the basic rule of supply and demand kicks in, and prices rise further.

Other brands are also suffering from similar problems, though they don't all have Gibson's crappy distributor to deal with too of course so not every brand has had to raise prices as much as Gibson have had to.

I would expect to see at least one more price rise within the next two years on all guitar brands.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
hey MrFlibble, hoy much did u pay for that B E A UTIFUL '59VOS? and when did you buy it?
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by clay pots
i haven't seen other companies raise prices. fender has kept their prices the same for the most part (from what i've seen, completely).

Are you serious? I remember back when a MIM Fender stratocaster could be had for $300 flat, and you could generally haggle it down to $270 or so, new, and a MIA strat had a street price of around $600.

And I'm not old or anything, this was not THAT long ago, maybe 6 to 8 years max.
£3200, back at the start of November. Or it might have been at the very end of October. Don't remember the exact day.

If you're wondering, £3200 is usually equal to about $6000, though in the last few months our economy has gone down even more than America's, so I think these days it's closer to about $4500.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by al112987
Are you serious? I remember back when a MIM Fender stratocaster could be had for $300 flat, and you could generally haggle it down to $270 or so, new, and a MIA strat had a street price of around $600.

And I'm not old or anything, this was not THAT long ago, maybe 6 to 8 years max.

i'm talking about in the last year or two. and it's not as drastic a price jump as gibson's.

mr. flibble, wouldn't it make sense to get a distributor that uses other guitar companies as well?
Quote by Jackintehbox

Quote by deathbat831

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Quote by clay pots
mr. flibble, wouldn't it make sense to get a distributor that uses other guitar companies as well?
Not really, at least not for a big brand like Gibson, Fender, ESP, etc. They each have their own separate distributors. For smaller brands, especially copy brands, then yes it's wiser for them to go with whoever. Big brands almost always want exclusivity.
Inflation?? hmmm, that might be the situation in the US, but in Europe we are having the opposite and prices are dropping drastically. In fact, recently I asked the price of a Gibson SG Special Faded and it was 650€, while a year ago it was almost 900€!!!
Low prices at some websites (MusicStore for instance...) make local dealers have a hard time, so you have good choices now.
But still, about Epis... to be honest, I don't like them anymore just because they make them all in China. I had a Korean Vintage G-400 and it was a great one, but the new "faded" series are stripped-down and awful. So for the same money you'd better go for any of the Standard Fenders.
Quote by dynamo0
Inflation?? hmmm, that might be the situation in the US, but in Europe we are having the opposite and prices are dropping drastically. In fact, recently I asked the price of a Gibson SG Special Faded and it was 650€, while a year ago it was almost 900€!!!
Low prices at some websites (MusicStore for instance...) make local dealers have a hard time, so you have good choices now.
But still, about Epis... to be honest, I don't like them anymore just because they make them all in China. I had a Korean Vintage G-400 and it was a great one, but the new "faded" series are stripped-down and awful. So for the same money you'd better go for any of the Standard Fenders.

don't listen to most people. when the price for anything goes up the standard answer is "inflation". truth is, prices here are going down. see the cpi link i posted above.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
I blame video games. Rock Band, Guitar Hero are getting more kids and adults to want to try and learn the real thing. I also think that once this craze dies down we, the true guitarists, will be able to get some great pawn shop deals! ;-)
Seriously, I'm in the band.
I see prices drop more and more on certain items as the economy gets worse. You can't sell an item for more money when consumers just don't have the money to spend. This forces prices to come down in order to make money the profit margine might be less but they are staying in business.

Of course certain items go up like gas, food, meds and clothing these are necessities that the consumer is going to buy no matter what. A guitar is far from a necessity unless you depend on it for income so people are going to stop buying if they just can't afford something they don't really need right away. So the manufacturers have to fight that by dropping prices if they don't they won't sell anything and just be a memory.

Now as far as Epi prices they have gone up a little IMHO you get a great guitar for the money either way. A lot of retailers are giving huge discounts right now and free shipping. Epiphones are just as good quality as guitars made in the states sometimes even better and Epis get better and better every year. Most big brand guitars no matter who makes them start out life on a CNC machine and are hand assembled here in the states or over seas. Of course the materials are a little different but IMHO not that much of a difference to add 1000s of dollars to the price. I have guitars I paid less than $500.00 MIC or MIK for that I would take over most guitars I have tried that were supposedly better because they are more expensive and MIA. With MIA guitars you pay the high cost of labor. In China they can get a 7 workers for what they pay one worker in the states at minimum wage then there are no benifits over there the manufacturers have as part of their overhead so costs will be less. Asain craftmanship is amazing and they take pride in their work I can't see them making cheap crap and as with Epi, Gibson is very strict with specifications and the QC, better than Gibson as far as I am concerned. That strikes me as strange and I know a lot of you won't agree with me on this but in my experiance with Gibson lately it's very true.

John
Quote by xsentrick
I blame video games. Rock Band, Guitar Hero are getting more kids and adults to want to try and learn the real thing. I also think that once this craze dies down we, the true guitarists, will be able to get some great pawn shop deals! ;-)

Dude soooo true.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
What sucks for me, is that I live in Canada, so everything has gone up way more.
Example, I was interested in an Epiphone Les Paul Standard this summer. Plain-top was 449.99$ US, Plus Top was 549.99$ US. Our dollar was the same. Epiphone rised their prices by 100$ on these models (Custom and Prophecy went up 150$, G-400 went up about 50$ if I remember correctly). Our dollar started going down, and the economy crashed. You now walk in the guitar shop, and what was once 450$ this summer, is now 700$.
UG's AC/DC Lover