well ive gotten over my lefty/righty issue now im asking for some help with sweeps. after i read about them and looked at videos they seemed impossible for me to do.. but i just say hey... y not give it a go. so i did, its very hard for me because sweeping and removing my fingers just feels strange and i can never seems to remove them right. sometimes it seems that i do it right, but then when i remove my fingers after the sweep theres ALOT of extra noise from pulling off the strings which i have no idea how to block. some help with this would be greatly appreciated.
(keep in mind i dont have a teacher so i could really use the help)
Last edited by Dwayne_S at Jan 22, 2009,
Do it without distortion. Do it unamplified or playing clean at first. Practice muting the previous string with the finger that was on it while playing the next note. Just takes a lot of practice.
Quote by tenfold
Do it without distortion. Do it unamplified or playing clean at first. Practice muting the previous string with the finger that was on it while playing the next note. Just takes a lot of practice.

I always thought you should do it with distortion, this way you can hear your mistakes easier.
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
I don't do alot of sweep picking, but I would start with an easy to finger left hand pattern.

Learn to pick across three strings first and work your way up to patterns that involve more strings.

It's better to do something simple really well and then build on that.
Well I approached it a little bit differently, I worked to get my hand used to the sweeping motion, basically I muted the strings with my fretting hand and just swept up and down on all strings to the beat of a metronome. After I felt confident with that, I slowed down the metronome even more and started doing 5-string sweep patterns, some people will tell you to start with three-string sweep patterns, but it seemed like I would have to pay attention to my picking hand a lot more, because with three string sweeps you shift the motion of your fretting hand faster than with five string sweeps. Try out both, if one comes easier than the other, work on it for a bit.