Hey, I was just wondering if anybody had used the Seymour Duncan SFX-04 Twin tube Mayhem Distortion pedal. It sounds really awesome but i wanted to see if anybody knew if it was worth the money.
tried it.

lemme ask you a question

what amp are you gonna use for the pedal?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
If it "sounds" awesome, get it.

Unless you mean it looks cool. In which case say that.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Well i have a Marshall MG 30DFX. And what i meant by it sounds awesome is the features sound like they're cool, but i've only heard it played once so i wasnt so sure.
Quote by guitarrob11
Well i have a Marshall MG 30DFX. And what i meant by it sounds awesome is the features sound like they're cool, but i've only heard it played once so i wasnt so sure.

You'll need more amp than that, sir.

But through a good amp, I thought the Mayhem was awesome. Like the Classic, if I had no real budget on an OD, that'd be what I went for.
So what amp do you think i should get? I need something with more distortion and a good sound. i play metal so yeah.
Quote by ShredGod George
WTF!! is a tab,what'd you think about it?

it's 2nd greatest distortion pedal iive ever played (the 1st is the demonizer).
if you played a metal muff, the TT mayhem is like it's BR00TAL BIG BROTHER.
it has a tube insde it to give you more gain compared to a non tube dist pedal.

but if the TS is using it on an mg it wont make much of a difference
feel free to add me
Quote by guitarrob11
So what amp do you think i should get? I need something with more distortion and a good sound. i play metal so yeah.

bughet??
what kind of metal?? trash,metalcore,brutal ect
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
it's 2nd greatest distortion pedal iive ever played (the 1st is the demonizer).
if you played a metal muff, the TT mayhem is like it's BR00TAL BIG BROTHER.
it has a tube insde it to give you more gain compared to a non tube dist pedal.

but if the TS is using it on an mg it wont make much of a difference

How do you think it would sound on my V33(your blackheart but bigger basically)
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
How do you think it would sound on my V33(your blackheart but bigger basically)

i think it should sound fine but try one out first.
I believe that every GC in the US carries them. but if you want to spend 250+ usd for a pedal
i suggest saving it and buy a better amp instead, the Peavey 6505+ combo is about $500 and im saving up for it and you should too if you want something that can do high gain.

bottom line
amp distortion>pedal distortion
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i think it should sound fine but try one out first.
I believe that every GC in the US carries them. but if you want to spend 250+ usd for a pedal
i suggest saving it and buy a better amp instead, the Peavey 6505+ combo is about $500 and im saving up for it and you should too if you want something that can do high gain.

bottom line
amp distortion>pedal distortion

I like my amps lower gain levels
My GC doesn't have them
just a used TT classic
It's only 227 isnt it?
Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by ShredGod George
I like my amps lower gain levels
My GC doesn't have them
just a used TT classic
It's only 227 isnt it?

yes its only 227
but if you dont want a new amp and you really want a pedal go for it.
feel free to add me
Tube distortion pedals are a gimmick. Starved plate distortion isn't any 'smoother' or better then transistor distortion.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
yes its only 227
but if you dont want a new amp and you really want a pedal go for it.

Is the ony difference between the Solid metal and Demonizer that the demonizer can be used as a preamp?
Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by ShredGod George
Is the ony difference between the Solid metal and Demonizer that the demonizer can be used as a preamp?

never tried the solid metal
and the demonizer is a pedal it cant be used a preamp.
feel free to add me
The SD pedal does use a 16v ac power supply which means it does have a transformer for the plate voltage needed for tubes to work properly. From what I see it looks like a decent pedal. BUT thats a big BUT dont expect any kind of miracles with a MG amp. Its not going to develop great tube tone. The digital modelling section will butcher what ever signal you feed it. The money spent on the pedal could go far towards buying a tube amp with great natural tube tone.
Quote by STABxYOU
Tube distortion pedals are a gimmick. Starved plate distortion isn't any 'smoother' or better then transistor distortion.

Truth be told. The only reason I got the tube Zendrive is so I could switch tubes for different gain levels and flavors. The transistor version is just as good, the tone is in the circuit design. And with the Mayhem, I don't think you can replace the tubes since the 62051 is hard to find so it only lasts as long as the tube unless Seymour Duncan will replace it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Tackleberry
The digital modelling section will butcher what ever signal you feed it. The money spent on the pedal could go far towards buying a tube amp with great natural tube tone.

That's why you'd run it with an EQ pedal after it straight into the FX return and bypass the built in effects.

With my last comment, I'm not saying there aren't good starved plate circuits, for that matter there's plenty of solid state distortion pedals and amps that sound great.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
^^^The gist I get is he has an MG amp and wants it to sound better. Which we all know is a pointless endeavor. So he wants to spend over 200 bucks on a tube pedal to try to get a bad amp to sound more "tubey". Yes the preamp can be bypassed but it also takes out all the FX so then hes gonna need stomp boxes. And it will still all be going thru MG speakers. So 300 bucks for SD pedal and EQ maybe more for FX pedals. Money that could be spent on a better amp and eliminate the entire problem. And a quick search for replacement tubes for the pedal found none which could be an issue in time.