Found this portion of a tree trunk out in the woods and don't know what kind of wood it is. help.=]...(huge pics)

inb4 "Yup thats wood" pic
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
Well i've looked at my "tonewoods of the world book" and i'd say that's definatley brown wood, you can tell by the colour really, i'm 99% it came from some kind of tree.

Seriously now, could it be some kind of oak?
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by jafar007
inb4 "Yup thats wood" pic

"inb4" is a warnable offence, and you've been *reported* by a GB&C gestapo asshole.

Threadstarter, where do you live? Country our state if you like, that can help us narrow it down a bit.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I believe walnut can be used for bodies. Only thing I've heard is that heavier pieces of walnut may dull the sound a little, but have a ton of sustain
I was thinking of using Walnut as a top for an mahogany explorer build
they look pretty good with stain finishes
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
hmm...it says on warmoth that walnut is more bright than warm...would that sort of balance the dullness out?=/

I guess dullness is not quite the same as warmth.=p
walnut can be used as bodies or necks. your board is too far gone to use for a guitar unless you want some small peices of it like someone here did with cherry. in order to use your own lumber, you must cut it, seal the ends with anchor-wax, then rush it to the kiln, or bury it under a heat lamp for about 8 months in your dry basement.
i already said it is walnut, you can tell because of the dark grey/purple colors, you dont find that on many domestic (usa) woods with white sapwood like that.

You should resaw it with a chainsaw down the middle and see how deep those cracks though, you need to cut it into about 2.5'' thicknessess and get it somewhere warm and dry.
I plan on it.

EDIT: Why do I need to dry it? I've had it in my garage for weeks.=/
Last edited by Weavel33 at Jan 22, 2009,
EDITED: after looking at the pics, i think that stuff is just about gone. It's split all to heck

You need to reduce the moisture content of the wood to below 9% (i think) If you don't then the guitar will warp and bend over time, making it unplayable.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Last edited by bv310 at Jan 22, 2009,
honestly, I'm not much of one for clear body finishes...I'm just looking for a good body wood...besides this I have 2x4s.=p
Looks like oak... I went to my local lumber shop and I asked for some hard, heavy wood (tell me about people making fun of you!) to make a wedge to block my tremolo, the clerk told me "just bring me that one over there", I tried to lift the 2ft X 1ft X 2" sucka and the clerk rolled on the floor laughing. Dang thing was heavy as hell.

Looks very similar, a bit clearer but then there are like 200 varieties of oak, heavy as heck and it has the same cracks in it as the one in the pic.
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Total lack of skills and not into broot4Lz anymore
oak is what I originally thought as well...but now I'm getting different opinions...so...I guess both walnut and oak are good.=p...idk much about wood.>_>
Quote by Warpo
Looks like oak... I went to my local lumber shop and I asked for some hard, heavy wood (tell me about people making fun of you!) to make a wedge to block my tremolo, the clerk told me "just bring me that one over there", I tried to lift the 2ft X 1ft X 2" sucka and the clerk rolled on the floor laughing. Dang thing was heavy as hell.

Looks very similar, a bit clearer but then there are like 200 varieties of oak, heavy as heck and it has the same cracks in it as the one in the pic.

I'm pretty sure LP is right it's way too dark to be oak.
LP is correct. If that is oak, I will delete my account on here, and stop trolling these forums.

I guess you are going to be stuck with me
you need to dry it for much longer than "2 weeks in your garage" more like 2 years, plus you need to seal the ends.

And then cut it up for your guitar and find out that it has cracks right through it and you've wasted 2 years....
Oh, I missed that he said he didn't want a natural finish, so if doing that don't use walnut, as it looks to nice. Use those 2by4s.
Quote by Weavel33
EDIT: Why do I need to dry it? I've had it in my garage for weeks.=/
because it will dry over time any way, and so if you use a wet piece of wood and make a guitar out of it all nice and precise, when it dries it will move, may be crack, warp cup twist etc etc and you will have an un-useable guitar. So by using a dry peice of wood you hope that the majority of movement is done and it has stabilized its self, obviously movement will never stop as it will always be exposed to moisture and changing temperatures.

6-8% moisture content is optimal.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
2x4s would be fine yeah, they are probably pine though they could be spruce to. The original teles were made of pine. Both are soft woods and will ding pretty easyily if you are rough and careless with your guitars.
Why did you bump this old thread, with a un relevant post?

reported for spam, reported for close.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.