I've read previous threads to just mute the string inbetween, and I've done that...but, it sounds far from right. Here's what I'm talking about:

-----------------
-----12---------
-----------------
------9----------
------------------
------------------

(Common sight in tabs I've found, but this one inparticular is from "B12" by Grey Daze.)

I have no problem hitting the strings and everything, it's just when I mute that string between 12 & 9, it sounds kind of nasty...anyone have any tips?
nope not rlly, muting the string in between with ur pointer finger should do the trick. u could b out of tune which would make this sound like **** considering they r octaves of each other. could b an intonation problem
Either you're out of tune or you aren't muting that middle string enough.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Actually I retuned my guitar (as I was a lil' out of tune), and it still sounded weird.

Hmmm...I may not be muting enough. I guess I should read up on some muting tutorials/exercises, as I thought one mute was the same for all (excluding palm muting in there, lol).
if you must use a pick, then use the tip of ur index finger to mute the g string
otherwise, using two fingers is best
just lightly mute with your index finger, thats what i do and it always seems to work. i used to have the problem of pressing too hard which made it sound terrible. but if it still sounds wrong then use two fingers
-------12-------------
--------x-------------
--------9-------------
generally, as i see in tabs this means to mute the middle string. and the ones without the "x" u should use two fingers [thats how it is most of the time(so ive read)]
Quote by Dwayne_S
just lightly mute with your index finger, thats what i do and it always seems to work. i used to have the problem of pressing too hard which made it sound terrible. but if it still sounds wrong then use two fingers
-------12-------------
--------x-------------
--------9-------------
generally, as i see in tabs this means to mute the middle string. and the ones without the "x" u should use two fingers [thats how it is most of the time(so ive read)]

How would I play the 12 & 9 with two fingers? (I don't finger pick, so...yeah, lol) I was thinking of strumming down from 9 to 12 in a fast motion, but I don't think that'd work.

As for the people saying to play the 9 with my index, I already do, lol. I hold the 9 down with my first, and the 12 with my pink (mainly to build up strength in my pinkie while playing fun songs).
i'd pick 9 and fingerpick the 12 with my middle finger...
or you could play with the string in between muted...

EDIT: if it's all fingerpicked, then the 9 with the thumb, and 12 with index...
Last edited by heminder at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by heminder
i'd pick 9 and fingerpick the 12 with my middle finger...
or you could play with the string in between muted...

EDIT: if it's all fingerpicked, then the 9 with the thumb, and 12 with index...

I'd rather do the pick/finger method, lol. Because right after that is a bunch of power chords, and I don't think fingering power chords is a good idea, haha.

Yeah, I know...naughty raevin, haha...too tired to type the whole word/phrase out.
Quote by raevin
I've read previous threads to just mute the string inbetween, and I've done that...but, it sounds far from right. Here's what I'm talking about:

-----------------
-----12---------
-----------------
------9----------
------------------
------------------

(Common sight in tabs I've found, but this one inparticular is from "B12" by Grey Daze.)

I have no problem hitting the strings and everything, it's just when I mute that string between 12 & 9, it sounds kind of nasty...anyone have any tips?

How about plucking the D and the B string simultaneously using your pick and middle finger?
It's not going to be fingerpicked, it's a picked octave with the string inbetween muted.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've been practicing muting the string, and it seems to work out better now. I'll keep practicing on this, but thanks for all the help by the way people!
Quote by strummin67
That's what I said.

But he's got a seagull, it demands respect.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Finger pick
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Quote by Da Squiz
Finger pick

It's not fingerpicked
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It's not fingerpicked

Then please sir. Bestow with your great knowledge.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
This isnt that ****ing complicated
Its a goddamn octave chord off the A string.
Just like how you would play one off the E or D. just mute the middle string and strum.

I dont see how this is even still up for debate
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
This isnt that ****ing complicated
Its a goddamn octave chord off the A string.
Just like how you would play one off the E or D. just mute the middle string and strum.

I dont see how this is even still up for debate

O.o Why the hate? Things are fixed for me.