Poll Options
View poll results: Ahletes: Overpaid?
yes
216 79%
no
57 21%
Voters: 275.
Page 1 of 4
had this discussion in class. Personally I think theyre not because they generate alot of revenue ( ad space, magazine covers, tv time, etc)
Discuss
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
I think it makes no sense how someone who plays sports for a living gets paid more than someone who puts their ****ing life on the line..
Athletes get paid more than doctors.

-Athletes get paid to play a sport.
-Doctors get payed to help people.

They're overpaid IMO.
Sail upon the open skies
Yes. They get far too much money for getting a little sweaty and doing nothing productive. At least musicians are improving themselves mentally.
Athletes are disgustingly overpaid.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
I voted no because everyone else voted yes.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Yes.

I think athletes should be paid nothing. Which ever team wins the game gets to eat for the day. Now THAT is competition!
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
yes.
especially injured players who still get paid millions to do nothing
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Well, ad revenue and sponsorship deals aside, top professional atheletes do get paid sh*tloads for what? Fitness training and playing a game or two every week. Arsharvin wants £100,000 a WEEK from Arsenal if he joins. In 2-3 weeks, that's a house completely paid off. People who do much more beneficial things in society have to pay that off for 25+ years.
I don't think athleticism should be a primary profession.

It should be an aside, something you do for fun that you get a side wage from if it's televised, but never something you can make a 6 or 7 figure income from.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Well, ad revenue and sponsorship deals aside, top professional atheletes do get paid sh*tloads for what? Fitness training and playing a game or two every week. Arsharvin wants £100,000 a WEEK from Arsenal if he joins. In 2-3 weeks, that's a house completely paid off. People who do much more beneficial things in society have to pay that off for 25+ years.

Football (soccer) is one of the best examples of athletes being overpaid. I still love to watch and play but it really is sickening how much these guys are paid.

Arsharvin has got nothing on Christiano Ronaldo and John Terry's fabulously stupid salaries.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Quote by freedoms_stain

It should be an aside, something you do for fun that you get a side wage from if it's televised, but never something you can make a 6 or 7 figure income from.

Or even 8 figure in the case of some Formula One drivers- Schumacher "earned" $60 million in the 2005 season. It would've been $80 million or so if he got sponsorship deals that year.
Quote by heaven's gate
They're not athletes, they're entertainers.

Anyway, yes. Highly overpaid.

elaborate please
Gear:

Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Well, in terms of what they actually do, yes they're overpaid. But they are entertainers who have the ability to reach millions of clients and customers (audiences, sport fans) simultaneously, which is why they're able to generate so much money and worth 6-figure incomes.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i guess so.

but its hard to say. they are the best at what they do. if someone feels that they are worth what they get paid, then maybe they are.

i mean considering the right superstar can literally bring millions of dollars to a sports franchise, maybe they are worth their pay.

i mean the average players dont make nearly as much as the superstars do.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Or even 8 figure in the case of some Formula One drivers- Schumacher "earned" $60 million in the 2005 season. It would've been $80 million or so if he got sponsorship deals that year.
Must be nice to earn several million a month for driving a car for a few hours a week.

Meanwhile for the rest of the world: lay-offs, lots and lots of lay-offs.
uuummm we pay them..stop going to the games and buying things they promote and you can keep them from being "overpaid". i wish our teachers, police officers, and firefighters could make that much because they deserve it but we enjoy going to games and paying for tickets and merchandise so we basically pay them. if we stop going they stop making the money
Well, considering all the revenue they generate, and the commitment they must have to stay in shape (Note: I do not consider drivers athletes, although they probably fall into this category), I say they deserve to be paid a considerable amount.

However, a whole lot of them are wayyyyy overpaid. See: NY Yankees.
no, they worked hard as hell to get where they are
up for adoption

How am I in bed you ask?

Quote by metaldud536
Shallow and pedantic

Quote by freedoms_stain

But then people won't have as much motivation to play the sport.

but its hard to say. they are the best at what they do. if someone feels that they are worth what they get paid, then maybe they are.

Agreed.

And a lot of people I know would probably say the same thing about music.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by freedoms_stain
Must be nice to earn several million a month for driving a car for a few hours a week.

Meanwhile for the rest of the world: lay-offs, lots and lots of lay-offs.

Oh but remember, he wouldn't get paid on the off-season, so he needs to earn more money than usual to upkeep his habits during the off-season. Otherwise, it'd just be a hard life.
Quote by MrMojoRisin'
Well, considering all the revenue they generate, and the commitment they must have to stay in shape (Note: I do not consider drivers athletes, although they probably fall into this category), I say they deserve to be paid a considerable amount.

However, a whole lot of them are wayyyyy overpaid. See: NY Yankees.

Definatly agree about the Yankees. But it's a free enterprise so all is fair I guess
Gear:

Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by aznrockerdude
But then people won't have as much motivation to play the sport.
You think there aren't enough people who love to play sports just because they love to play sports without extortionate pay?

I guess sport doesn't exist outside premiereship divisions then... Wait a minute...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Oh but remember, he wouldn't get paid on the off-season, so he needs to earn more money than usual to upkeep his habits during the off-season. Otherwise, it'd just be a hard life.
Silly me.

It's not as if motor sports are really really fucking shite in the 1st place...

I hate motor sports. Hate.
Quote by chrispfried
no, they worked hard as hell to get where they are

Agreed, people who think athletes just practice a little and play a silly game are thick, they have to train their asses off
Gear:

Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Highly overpaid. However, the most overpaid ever are actors. Tens of millions for pretending to be another person? Honesty...WTF?
Quote by BigRob91
elaborate please

Now, what I said before was pretty broad. And I'm not one who spends a ton of time paying attention to sports, but it has always seemed to me that the first thing on the priority list of, say, an NHLer is to entertain the masses, not to be the very best at what they do. Continuing the NHL example, teams still get paid heaps even if they suck during a season (i.e. the Leafs).
Olympic athletes are true athletes IMO. Yes, major league competitors are more skilled than the average citizen in their given sport, but there's too much... business, if you will, behind major leagues. It strikes me as a really greedy field. I dunno, major league sports have become too much of a product for my taste.

Meh, just my view on things...

EDIT: I do realize that they have to bust their asses training and stuff.
Last edited by heaven's gate at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by BigRob91
Agreed, people who think athletes just practice a little and play a silly game are thick, they have to train their asses off
Most premier league footballers train for <2 hours a day.

That isn't worth tens of thousands+ a year, or a month in some cases.
Very much so.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Page 1 of 4