I need some advice on these amps. I can either get a Marshall JCM 600 combo with 2 x 12" Celestion speakers for around 600 dollars, or a Marshall JCM600 60W combo with 1x12 Celestion for 500 dollars. They are both el34 driven. Is the extra money worth getting 2 x 12? Can someone tell me what the advantages and disadvatages are? I dont know much about amps so cut me some slack
It would be louder with the extra speaker, I'm pretty sure.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
yes more volume and weight. also you have to consider that playing at levels approaching the max volume you will get less speaker distortion with the 2x12 setup which can be good or bad depending on your ears prefrence. also with the 2x12 setup you would be free to upgrade with two different speakers which if chosen carefully can give you a nicely unique sound.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
yes more volume and weight. also you have to consider that playing at levels approaching the max volume you will get less speaker distortion with the 2x12 setup which can be good or bad depending on your ears prefrence. also with the 2x12 setup you would be free to upgrade with two different speakers which if chosen carefully can give you a nicely unique sound.

So would a 2x12 be more useful for gigs practices and marching band?
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

Speaker distortion = bad
Preamp distortion = good
Don't get a 2x12.
If they are the same wattage, there will be very little difference in volume. Plus, 212 are a pain to lug
A 2x12 won't mean that much in the way of shear volume. You will have fuller sound pumpin out, so you will be easier to hear.

Go ahead and get the 2x12. There's not much of a difference in the size of the cab, only the weight. Unless you are a pretty small person you can manage the extra 20 lbs. You could always get casters, too.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Speaker distortion = bad
Preamp distortion = good

not always-alotta distortion you hear from classic records is speaker distortion
not usually-cranking the power section will give you a much more organic, thicker, and generally speaking, more badass tone---