i got an electric guitar for christmas (fender strat ) and have been renting an amp. i have been renting a vox ad30vt (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/vox/ad30vt/index.html)

and i am looking for something similar (at least 30 watts) for anywhere south of 300$
i play classic rock, modern rock, but also some metal,

examples would be radiohead, lynyrd skynyrd, the strokes, metallica

any advice would be appreciated
I think for that price the amp you're renting would be one of your best bets. If you like it, buy one.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
you need tubes in your life man. all tube. and if you do get an all tube combo you wont need 30 watts unless youre gigging. i have a little 12ax7-el84 palomino v16 thats rated at 15 watts and its too much power for quiet practicing anywhere near the sweet spot and plenty to keep up with a drummer and bassist without pushing the volume past 2/3. id recommend a vox ac15 or ac30 if you must and if youre on a budget just go to musicians friend or something and go to tube combo amps and sort them low to high price. the first page or two will have a 500 dollar budget covered. ive said it a million times - an amp thats not tube is like a guitar thats not wood. and dont accept hybrid substitutes. those either have a solid state preamp that will give you fake sounding distortion or solid state power amp that will sound more and more like crap the more you turn it up.
He's been playing for a month he doesn't need tubes 'man'.
Quote by Free
He's been playing for a month he doesn't need tubes 'man'.

'man'? pardon my friendley phrasing sir. and if he wants a good natural "real" sound yes he does. he probably doesnt need the fender over a squire either but theres nothing wrong with starting out with decent equipment. sounds like you just have the solid state blues, man. its not like a tube amp is a luxury anyway. they make plenty for under $300. just out of curiousity does the amp emulator on that rented vox emulate solid state amps or emulate tube amps. wonder why....
If you added another 100 you could get one of these badboys
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
'man'? pardon my friendley phrasing sir. and if he wants a good natural "real" sound yes he does. he probably doesnt need the fender over a squire either but theres nothing wrong with starting out with decent equipment. sounds like you just have the solid state blues, man. its not like a tube amp is a luxury anyway. they make plenty for under $300. just out of curiousity does the amp emulator on that rented vox emulate solid state amps or emulate tube amps. wonder why....

You missed the point by a couple of miles. The TS is a beginner guitarist and yes there's no harm in having decent gear but you stated....
you need tubes in your life man.

In actual fact he/she/man, doesn't 'need' tubes. The likelihood is that he/she will be playing in a bedroom or similar and will very seldomly hear the tube amp in its rightful state. You said it yourself....
i have a little 12ax7-el84 palomino v16 thats rated at 15 watts and its too much power for quiet practicing anywhere near the sweet spot and plenty to keep up with a drummer and bassist without pushing the volume past 2/3

If it doesn't go past 3 then it isn't getting used in the way it was designed. You then state that he/she look at an AC30??

Seriously, and with all due respect, the TS doesn't 'need' tubes. That Vox is going be plenty capable of producing nice tones for the immediate future. And yes it does attempt to replicate classic tube amp tone but the essential part that you neglected to add is that they attempt to replicate CRANKED classic tube tone.

And as for the 'solid state blues' comment, you're assumption is wrong, I'm merely trying to do the TS a favour and save him a load of money they don't yet have to shell out.
Quote by Free
You missed the point by a couple of miles. The TS is a beginner guitarist and yes there's no harm in having decent gear but you stated....
In actual fact he/she/man, doesn't 'need' tubes. The likelihood is that he/she will be playing in a bedroom or similar and will very seldomly hear the tube amp in its rightful state. You said it yourself....
If it doesn't go past 3 then it isn't getting used in the way it was designed. You then state that he/she look at an AC30??

Seriously, and with all due respect, the TS doesn't 'need' tubes. That Vox is going be plenty capable of producing nice tones for the immediate future. And yes it does attempt to replicate classic tube amp tone but the essential part that you neglected to add is that they attempt to replicate CRANKED classic tube tone.

And as for the 'solid state blues' comment, you're assumption is wrong, I'm merely trying to do the TS a favour and save him a load of money they don't yet have to shell out.

If TS is seriously committed to guitar then it makes more sense for him to invest in a decent amp now,instead of getting something he will grow unhappy with as he progresses as a musician and eventually ends up spending more money to replace.

If you want a good lower wattage tube amp for a lower price I'd suggest looking into brands like blackheart,crate,and a specific amp called the Fender Super Champ XD.They all have low wattage ratings and can cover the sounds you listed with some tweaking and some pedals.The super champ XD would be a good match to your strat,it's 15 watt all tube with different voicings and effects built into the amp.I believe it falls in at exactly 300 USD.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.