I am wanting to do an album of covers from some different artists and i had a question. Do I have to write the artist and get permission to do a cover or do i just have to give them credit in the album cover.
I think you just have to give credit, but I'm not completely sure
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Technically, you have to get written permission from the original writers. But if you're in a local band that doesn't make a lot of money, you're fine, even if you release the album.
Because say you cover MOP. Metallica has so much money, the amount they could sue you for would equal about the price of a pair of Lars' short shorts.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
You need permission from whoever owns the copyright (usually the songwriter but not always) if there is any kind of monetary transaction involved at all. This obviously includes selling the CD, but if you play at a restaurant that could possibly be gaining patronage due to your playing, even if you're volunteering to play there for a school project and earning no money, the copyright owner is entitled to some kind of payment.
Technically, anyone who profits should pay a part of that to the original artist. So a venue has a moral obligation to pay, if you sell the CD you make, you also have that obligation. It's you're just giving away the recordings for free then it should be fine.
how do i go about contacting the artist to get permission and how much do you usually have to pay them
Quote by pwrmax
[If] you're just giving away the recordings for free then it should be fine.
However, if you've paid someone to help you record and are just giving out the CDs for publicity, you owe the copyright owner something.
^ like they all said, take for example jim cook (UGer who made an album of video game songs, 2 actually), but he released the albums for free, whether that was because he wanted to get his name out there or he just wanted to do it for fun i dont know, but all the songs are from video games, except for his gears of war cover which is a megadeth song. but his is free.
look for legend of Zelda Metal in the search bar to see what im talking about
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
I generally cover Indie bands, and I find you can contact, and get answers with myspace, Count Zero's Peter Moore even sent me chords to Cure Of A Kiss
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
i dont think anyone is going to sue you.. (i'm not saying they wont)

cuz it makes then look bad
1) the greedy
2) there afraid someone can play it better than them

imo
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by pwninator123
I generally cover Indie bands, and I find you can contact, and get answers with myspace, Count Zero's Peter Moore even sent me chords to Cure Of A Kiss

wow talk about being generous. try myspace im pretty sure every band who has ever played one album has a myspace
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
wow talk about being generous. try myspace im pretty sure every band who has ever played one album has a myspace
This is sarcasm, everyone. I'm fairly certain you're not going to get permission to cover Let It Be over MyFace or Spacebook or whatever these networking sites are called.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
This is sarcasm, everyone. I'm fairly certain you're not going to get permission to cover Let It Be over MyFace or Spacebook or whatever these networking sites are called.

I was actually being completely serious, Peter Moore of Count Zero sent me chords which he transcribed from old sheet music, I can copy/paste the message if you want me to
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by F8iscruel

the sad thing is that is being generous.

you make something good so why let others use it.. its sad
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Last edited by victoryaloy at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by bangoodcharlote

no it wasnt' sarcasm i was being honestly sincere. its cool that indie bands ould go so far as to give the chords for a song, and i wasn't being sarcastic contact a band on myspace, if you don't get a repsonse. make a couple of phone calls if that works. i dont like covering a song. well i might cover one song but only live, but thats cause orion is fun to improv solo over
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Count Zero is not The Beatles.

Count Zero is also a lot cooler than the Beatles
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by pwninator123
Count Zero is also a lot cooler than the Beatles
That is a matter of opinion, but the fact is that The Beatles crush them in terms of being well known. Moreover, though this is pure speculation and I've not done any research to back it up, though it makes sense, I can't see Paul and Ringo chillin' on MySpace.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That is a matter of opinion, but the fact is that The Beatles crush them in terms of being well known. Moreover, though this is pure speculation and I've not done any research to back it up, though it makes sense, I can't see Paul and Ringo chillin' on MySpace.

yeah, but then again, it IS Michael Jackson that owns the rights to the Beatles' catalogue
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I think the world's governments should make sure that Michael Jackson does not have access to MySpace.

I still wish he would fade out, and he pretty much has by now...
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
*sigh* Can someone get a hammer and drive nails into my head, or do I have to do it myself? Grrr....

I think I might write an article on this and ask for it to be stickied. I go over this every stinkin' week.

1. If you make even a single copy that is going to be shared with anyone, you have to pay a licensing fee. It's called a mechanical license, and often times you can get it from a licensing organization. Harry Fox is a huge one for the USA. There's a European one whose name doesn't readily come to me, and the Canadian one is the CMRRA. Many artists have an agreement with these licensing organizations that allows them to issue permission on their behalf (it won't be declined). So, you get permission from the artist via Harry Fox. You pay Harry Fox the fee, and they send the money to the artist, less their modest fee. You are unlikely to have any actual contact with the actual artist. Nor do you need to. If the material is not listed in these databases, you need to find out who the publisher is. You ask them. Not the artist. (unless the artist is also the publisher... whatever....)

2. The fee you pay is generally in the ballpark of 7 or 8 cents per copy made. Note specifically that the word sold is not used. The word is 'made.' Even if you give every last one of them away, you still pay the licensing fee.

3. Playing a cover live also involves fees paid to the artist. These are called performance royalties. A performing rights organization like ASCAP, BMI, or SOCAN collects these fees from music users and passes those fees onto the artists. The good news for you is that the music user who pays these fees are not usually the musicians themselves. Clubs who host live music, grocery stores who play muzak on their sound system, the shoe store who has the radio on in the background, the dance club, the radio station, the school board, the skating rink, etc. is responsible for paying these fees. They may be collected as a blanket license paid on an annual basis (bars that host live music) or on a track by track, artist by artist basis (commercial radio and TV). If you as a musician go into a bar and play a Metallica song or whatever, and the bar hasn't paid their performance blanket license, that's their problem - not yours.

[/all the other speculative guesses based on pure conjecture and limited experience, but not any real knowledge....]

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
How crazy is that - Michael Jackson owning the rights to the Beatles catalogue.

Do you know where he got he idea? - Paul McCartney.

Apparently they were worked together on a number of occassions. They were sitting down and Paul told him how he had made a ton of money off buying the rights to other peoples music.

Then the Beatles music went up for auction - Paul tried to talk Yoko into putting a joint bid in but she refused. And Michael Jackson bid and won. Then Paul later commented on Michael Jackson buying the Beatles catalogue saying he thought it was pretty ugly to profit off somebody else's creative endeavours in such a way. Hypocrite much?

Apparently Michael Jackson asked him if he was going to bid before he bid himself and Paul told him it would be too expensive - even though he had far more money than Michael Jackson did at the time - or ever.

Just a bit of useless trivia.
Si
... and when Michael Jackson was married to Lisa Marie Presley, between the two of them, they owned The Beatles AND Elvis.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
grocery stores who play muzak on their sound system, the shoe store who has the radio on in the background, the dance club, the radio station, the school board, the skating rink, etc. is responsible for paying these fees.

Nice post. Doesn't the radio station pay to broadcast the songs they play publicly. - So the shoe store or grocery store playing the radio in their shop don't have to?
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
Nice post. Doesn't the radio station pay to broadcast the songs they play publicly. - So the shoe store or grocery store playing the radio in their shop don't have to?

I think that is the case, otherwise everyone would just play CDs
Ah! Very astute!! I meant to say CDs or whatever. You're right about the radio, I believe.

http://www.socan.org/pdf/en/revisedtariffs/Tariff15A.pdf

The above link makes reference to section 69(2) of the copyright act, which reads:

"(2) In respect of public performances by means of any radio receiving set in any place other than a theatre that is ordinarily and regularly used for entertainments to which an admission charge is made, no royalties shall be collectable from the owner or user of the radio receiving set, but the Board shall, in so far as possible, provide for the collection in advance from radio broadcasting stations of royalties appropriate to the conditions produced by the provisions of this subsection and shall fix the amount of the same."

Well spotted!!

CT