Poll: Musicians: Overpayed?
Poll Options
View poll results: Musicians: Overpayed?
Yes
29 20%
No
115 80%
Voters: 144.
Page 1 of 2
Well obviously this is a take of the "Athletes: Overpaid?" thread, but It occurred to me that most people here are not athletes and therefore may be biased against them.

Now I wonder if the same voters think that musicians are overpaid (famous ones obviously). I know that many musicians need 2nd jobs to support themselves, but so do athletes.

So, do you think that MUSICIANS are overpaid?

*Predicts massive voting of no*.

Edit: Yes I know, massive spelling fail.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Jan 22, 2009,
Depends if they don't write their songs and lip sing, yes
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
sometimes yes, but regular musicians doing gigs around there city get payed **** all so....
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

I would say no in general since they are paid depending on how many CDs they sell and whether some or a lot of people have bad taste is beside the point.

Edit: Just remembered Clay Aiken got paid half a million for telling a magazine that he was gay and there are other marketing tactics.
Last edited by monotony777 at Jan 22, 2009,
Show top level musicians don't get paid as much as mid-level athletes. /thread.
Quote by GNiCk89
The other day my girlfriend called me a pedophile.

I said, "Damn, that's a big-ass word for an 8 year-old."
Only the Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers type "music" groups

I am the King of Carrot Flowers

I think rockstars are overpaid, but musicians in general... not so much.

Like... a lot of people who go to University for music dont end up making a whole lot of money, but they're doing what they love.
Disney "musicians" like the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus - hell yes they're overpaid.

Normal hard-working musicians - no.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by aradine
sometimes yes, but regular musicians doing gigs around there city get payed **** all so....

So do amateur athletes.

Quote by monotony777
I would say no in general since they are paid depending on how many CDs they sell and whether some or a lot of people have bad taste is beside the point.

Aren't athletes paid according to how many points they score/matches they win?
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Where's the 'lol" option?
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
Quote by monotony777

actually they earn more money from gigs.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by breadstick
So do amateur athletes.

not always. not even most of the time. you can get a bonus for winning or scoring a lot of points. but if you decide to slack one game your still getting paid. or if your a boxer/mma fighter you get a bonus if you knock someone out or submit somebody but you get you get paid even if you lose.
if your talking about ACTUAL musicians like dream theater and steve vai..then no...they are actually underpaid.
Quote by breadstick
So do amateur athletes.

yes and no.

they;re on contract meaning if he's inhured, he still gets paid.

if he sucks he still gets paid
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by magnum1117
actually they earn more money from gigs.

Pirating made sure of that

TS: not really
most of them earned it through working there way up the ladder (excluding the people who started with their own TV show)
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
Pirating made sure of that

TS: not really
most of them earned it through working there way up the ladder (excluding the people who started with their own TV show)

So did athletes.

You're all a bunch of biased munchkins.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by breadstick
So did athletes.

You're all a bunch of biased munchkins.

What did you expect?

Yes, musicians are overpaid.
Mettalica is heaps overpayed.

*Flame Shield*
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
just like athletes we pay them...we decide who makes it and who doesnt, we decide how much they make and how far their career goes...this "overpaid" business has to stop
only really huge acts
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
IF musicians were paid based on talent the disney bands would be bumming cigarettes off the rich prog bands. I say some of the hardest working musicians aren't paid enough or even recognized.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
Last edited by Zappanator at Jan 22, 2009,
yes, theyre overpayed. the rich ones, that is. normal working musicians are just like working actors or athletes, they dont get payed much.
I have no opinion on this matter.
economy is without morals and from an economic standpoint greed is good... because rich greedy effers buy stuff. :]
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
Legit musicians are underpaid, but in some cases I would say they are paid a justifiable salary.

Pop stars and celebrities are overpaid, just as the athletes.
Quote by archangels666
Find me someone who doesn't do that and I'll show you a man humping a hippopotamus.

Quote by Vigilantius
High chairs are for little girls. My kids eat gravel off of bare concrete.

Musicians, no.
'Talents' and 'stars' , yes.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Real musicians who are working 3 jobs, busking, and still live on the streets because all of their money goes to food and guitar strings? No

Cookie-cutter pop musicians who are only famous because their uncle was John Lennon's manager? Yes
some are.

i think athletes are overpaid, as well. it's outrageous when someone wants to get paid 1.3 million dollars a year to 2 million and hold out until they get what they think they deserve. as if they can't feed their children already . i'd go on about how stupid holding out for contracts are and how selfish agents can be, but i don't really have the time.
Sent from my iPad.
What if I don't think athletes are overpaid TS? Whatchu gonna do now?

I do think the most "successful" of both groups do make a bit much though, but it's not like my opinion is objective truth.
Quote by reaper_x
Mettalica is heaps overpayed.

*Flame Shield*

Yes they are..
You can lower your flame shield now.
depends which musicians you're talking about. local bands playing shitty dives to scrape by, no, major label bands like the jonas brothers, metallica, coldplay, and aerosmith probably get paid too much.
depends on who they are, if they do their own stuff and what company they're with
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

YOUR ****ING KIDDING ME RIGHT
holy ****, musicians get nothing unless your kiss or the rolling stones, most of the stuff they get is FREE, i know i might get bashed for this, but a good example is Underoath, there pretty popular, they play HUGE shows and what not and yet they will walk away from a tour with 20k, and i mean like a year long tour, so basically one of the most popular and famous post-hardcore bands is living below the poverty line.
musicians make no money, i should know.
I would probably say so.

Athletes get overpaid if they're those athletes that don't get cut from the team even after screwing up horribly or if they play for a league that has no salary cap (ie: Major League Baseball, which sucks because of that). Obviously I'm a sports fan (go Chicago Bears!)

TS, I'm gonna actually answer the question without bringing up normal musicians like you said not to (besides in this sentence. I voted for yes, but only a little thanks to how things are now. There's a lot of competition for air time now between musicians, playing live really is all they've got at this point. I won't be surprised to see labels not being able to fund music videos in the future. Bands will probably only put out performance videos or none at all.

It's rough nowadays compared to just ten years ago for musicians, but still they get paid ridiculous money for doing what they love and pretty much no real labor.
Disney **** is overpayed, talented individuals are not. But I hate how athletes get payed millions to kick a ball around a field.
No, Musicians create something that is everlasting. Athletes come and go and 90% of them are forgotten in 6 months. Athletes maybe doing intense physical labour while playing but think about the performers in shows like Cirque de Solei (sp?) Think how physically demanding their work is, do they get $100 million dollar contracts? Nope.
Quote by Myung-trucci
Disney **** is overpayed, talented individuals are not. But I hate how athletes get payed millions to kick a ball around a field.

I hate how musicians get paid millions to pluck a couple of strings.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Page 1 of 2