I've finally saved up enough money for a nice tube amp and I've narrowed it down to the mesa boogie roadster or the just released mesa boogie mark v. Both run around $2,000.00 new. soooooo any suggestions?
Cant really go wrong with either of em and if you're going to spend that much id suggest doing some serious research.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
What do you play? The Mark is much smoother than the Roadster, both are good though. Personally, I'm getting a MK V when they come out in March.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I play alot of metal and classic rock mostly. My own material tends to have more of a melodic feel too it not necessarily reflecting the bands I cover so basically I'm looking for an amp with alot of versatility because I don't want to be confined to play only one genre you know what I mean?
Quote by jake911
Mark v is not even out yet.

I live near a dealer and I can get an order sent out in no time I'm in no hurry to get it tommorow or anything just wondering which one I should decide on
Quote by Jrsnyder881
I play alot of metal and classic rock mostly. My own material tends to have more of a melodic feel too it not necessarily reflecting the bands I cover so basically I'm looking for an amp with alot of versatility because I don't want to be confined to play only one genre you know what I mean?

Then unless you're playing modern metal, I'd go with the Mark V. The MK series are known for being awesome for leads and if you play alot of melodic stuff I think that would be your best bet. I know what you mean, my band plays alot of 80s and prog metal covers and when I play by myself or write stuff it has a more jazzy flavor to it so I needed and amp that would do both and decided on the Mark V since the lead sounded great in the demos I've heard so far. I just hate that I have to wait 2 months, but I'm sure it's gonna be worth it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Then unless you're playing modern metal, I'd go with the Mark V. The MK series are known for being awesome for leads and if you play alot of melodic stuff I think that would be your best bet. I know what you mean, my band plays alot of 80s and prog metal covers and when I play by myself or write stuff it has a more jazzy flavor to it so I needed and amp that would do both and decided on the Mark V since the lead sounded great in the demos I've heard so far. I just hate that I have to wait 2 months, but I'm sure it's gonna be worth it.

Thanks for the advice man and yeah waitings gonna suck but considering how long I've been saving up at this point it'll be allright haha. If by any chance you do pick one up in a few months let me know how it goes for ya. Take it easy.
Quote by Jrsnyder881
Thanks for the advice man and yeah waitings gonna suck but considering how long I've been saving up at this point it'll be allright haha. If by any chance you do pick one up in a few months let me know how it goes for ya. Take it easy.

lol, I've been saving for the last year. It's been torture. I'll make sure to tell you what I think of it, hopefully it's gonna be all that Mesa says it is.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

i've played the roadster, and it just has a different feel to it then the mark series. you really need to try them out if you can.

the roadster's gain is smooth and kinda thin (in a good way) while the mark's gain is smooth, yet very thick and saturated.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
or a bogner ecstacy american style. would be very nice if i had that kinda money lying around. mark 5 might be worth waiting for, and im not even into mesas
Quote by enselmis
there is no comparison, a mark V is greatest thing to happen in the last 10 years.

And exactly how much time have you spent testing it out?
Well before you decide on MESA, please consider some other options
Do you like american voicing, British, or becuase it's becoming so popular, German (diezel, engl)
What are some bands you like?
What is your current rig?
Go with what feels right as far as price, tone, power, features, accessibility, studyness, overall looks, weight, and durability.
Well, if it were between a Mark IV and a Roadster, I would choose the Roadster, there's more useable tones in the amp and it's overall pretty awesome.

The videos I've heard of the Mark V sound pretty sweet, so we'll see. Just based on that video I've seen though, I'd probably choose the Mark V.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Mark V FTW!!!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by enselmis
there is no comparison, a mark V is greatest thing to happen in the last 10 years.

Yes, because cramming as many knobs and features into the smallest possible place is the most important thing.

Way to bite the hype, come back when you've tried one extensively.