sorry for lots of posts just started on the forums the other day and just so much info im slapping myself for not joing ug months ago

anyways i got a g-400 with emg 81 85s and compared to real songs the sustain on high pitch sounds such as low e fret 20, 18, 15 etc can only last half the length they do in real songs.. its really annyoign when playing solos from guns n roses and pink floyd.
practice your vibrato, ive got the same pickups, and i my notes last just as long as slashs in november rain, even on the e string, or turn up the gain a little
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
Death metal (sounds amazing through bass amp)
ibanez weeping demon
lol thats my main problem.. november rain i cant get it to ring out long, and my vibrato i dont think is bad.. culd b better though also comfortably numb in parts i cant get it to match the length
SGs don't have particularly fantastic sustain to begin with, IMO. But I think the problem here is mostly the fact that on those recordings, they were playing loud as fuck. You're probably not. Volume and gain increase sustain considerably.
what are you using for your gains?

i had a line 6 amp a while back and the notes wouldnt last for ****, but after i got another amp the notes seemed to last alot longer, and when using my amps distortion i can run an od pedal at the same time, not really changing the tone, but it does stretch the notes a little longer,
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by Flying Couch
SGs don't have particularly fantastic sustain to begin with, IMO. But I think the problem here is mostly the fact that on those recordings, they were playing loud as fuck. You're probably not. Volume and gain increase sustain considerably.

also true sgs werent made with that kind of thing in mind
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
ibanez weeping demon
hmm volume may be the reason! im in a student house with 5 other housemates so i play where i can easily hear sound over the strings but where i try to keep it quiet enough so other people cant hear/get annoyed
There can be a few gear setup problems which lead to poor sustain.

Number one, particularly since you have high output pickups, if they are positioned too close to the strings, they cause a phenomena known as String pull, where the magnets in the pickup affect/dampen the sustain.

Increasing sustain is also possible with higher gain, however this will mean more control is required with muting the other strings while playing.

If you would like to improve your vibrato, sustain, confidence in playing and general "feel", try learning some pieces by Gary Moore. EG Parisienne Walkways or Still Got The Blues. They helped me a lot to improve here.
As said above, you probably have the amp on too low. Most amps have a "sweet spot" or a volume where they start to really fill out. Of note also is whether they were using delay, compression or other effects in the studio to create the massive sound they're producing. And then again, is technique.

Don't worry, you'll get there. One of the problems with learning guitar is that you're comparing your own playing against professionals whom have been playing forever, so it can be disappointing when you start off. That said, when you achieve the same sound, it's awesome.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
add more gain or volume. in those solos, the guitarists are also using a delay pedal, which will make it sound more sustained
well i had them positioned exceptionally close to the string but they sounded muffled so they were backed off and are a decent 1/2-3/4cm's from the string now

i hav a mt-2 pedal i use for distortion, a lil rough for gnr n pf but i also play metal so it does the job

but thanks for the artists ill deff chek em out
Quote by JimmyBanks6
well i had them positioned exceptionally close to the string but they sounded muffled so they were backed off and are a decent 1/2-3/4cm's from the string now

i hav a mt-2 pedal i use for distortion, a lil rough for gnr n pf but i also play metal so it does the job

but thanks for the artists ill deff chek em out

i have the same pedal and when used with my amps overdrive it pretty much doubles the sustain, maybe try that out

if all else fails
invest in a tube screamer!
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
ibanez weeping demon
Just to point out I also have an Epi SG sitting around somewhere and even with a cranked amp, delay, EQ and a Micro POG all on it, notes on any string past about the 14th fret die within just a couple of seconds at best.

SGs are not good for sustain, and you can't expect any cheaper end guitar like most Epiphones to sustain as long as a vintage master-crafted instrument like the LP Slash was using on those recordings.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you have the volume way down its not going to sustain as good. On the recordings they are using tube amps turned way up. With tubes and the gain and volume up you get natural compression which will add to the sustain. Just not going to get it with SS at low volume. Technique has alot to do with it to. Slash and gilmour have really good vibrato which can make a note sustain for what seems like forever. The active EMGs are supposed to be pretty close to the strings. They dont dampen the strings like passive tend to do.
Quote by Tackleberry
If you have the volume way down its not going to sustain as good. On the recordings they are using tube amps turned way up. With tubes and the gain and volume up you get natural compression which will add to the sustain. Just not going to get it with SS at low volume. Technique has alot to do with it to. Slash and gilmour have really good vibrato which can make a note sustain for what seems like forever. The active EMGs are supposed to be pretty close to the strings. They dont dampen the strings like passive tend to do.

yeah i know it just sounded worse then when i backed it off a lil bit, so they sound crisper now then when the pups were exceptionally close to the string
more volume. If you plugged into a jcm at 10 you would get sustain a plenty. by the way. new strings do help. Dont overdo the gain on november rain and such. Esp with a SG it can sound a bit too harsh with loadful of gain. Volume is key here. Oh and dont worry about youre vibrato unless your playing somewhat loud, it wont do much of a difference imo unless at good volume and natural gain.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat