now how to find out what key im playing in? im looking at this site to find all the notes i use but it takes FOREVER!

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chords-to-scale.php

there must be a easier way? im new to all this sorry... well heres the notes....

A, A#, C, C#, D, E,F,G

Thanks in advance for the help
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
schecter Damian 6 string
Jackson Dinky Dk2
Peavey 6505+
B-52 At212
Alright then, first off you should try to use each letter at least once and only repeat a letter if you absolutely have to.

In this case there are 8 notes which means one note is likely added to the naturally occurring scale or you are using more than one scale.

So let's rewrite

A Bb C C# D E F G

Let's look at half steps and whole steps

H W H H W H W W

Okay based on this let's see if we can come up with something that resembles the major scale in some way.

For example if we combine the half steps that appear right next to each other into one whole step we get
H W W W H W W

This uses the same step pattern as the major scale W W H W W W H just in a different order but that could be cause you haven't written the notes in any meaningful order to begin with so we carry on...

Combining these half steps would mean we skip over the C# and come out with A Bb C D E F G.

This is the F major scale. I don't know the song but it's likely the C# is some kind of passing note or accidental.

So it could be in the key of F major or D minor.

Best of Luck

EDIT: another way would be knowing your circle of fifths.

The only scales with a natural E F and G are the C major and F major scales (and their relative minor scales. So it must be one of these two keys. Then if we consider that there is a Bb then it must be F major.

This would have been quicker probably.

Moral: Learn circle of fifths.

EDIT 2:
I looked at the link you provided and it seems to be a F Bebop Major scale according to that site.

I don't get into all the fancy scales. Which is why I look at it as F Major with a C#.

There's always a name for any scale I think. Who really wants to learn them all??
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jan 23, 2009,
dang thank you for your time in helping me, yeah its best if i start on learning the theory..
helps in developing things when i get stuck..

circle of fifths here i come!
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
schecter Damian 6 string
Jackson Dinky Dk2
Peavey 6505+
B-52 At212
^Harmonic Minor = W H W W W W H
In D that would be D E F G A B C# E

There is no B in the TS scale but there is a Bb. Doesn't quite fit.

Quote by Octtwe88
Wow that was mad insightful 20tigers. Thanks a ton
thanks It makes me happy to think my crazy logic can help someone.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
^Harmonic Minor = W H W W W W H
In D that would be D E F G A B C# E

There is no B in the TS scale but there is a Bb. Doesn't quite fit.

thanks It makes me happy to think my crazy logic can help someone.

D minor fits perfectly.

D minor is relative to F major, so it has a Bb and a common convention is to make the seventh degree natural, giving you C#.

D harmonic minor = D E F G A Bb C# D