Page 1 of 2
so ive been in the market for a new guitar and i think ive narrowed down my choices to two guitars that are completely different. 1 Epiphone les paul black beauty 2 Fender american standard strat. I play a lot of blues classic rock and heavier stuff like black sabbath. i was wondering if one of these guitars would be able to give me those kinds of sounds better than the other. another question i have is the difference between the Les Paul and the strat. i know this is the most argued question in guitar gear... les paul or strat so i really need help tackling this one. Peac guys
Last edited by Tyrus97 at Jan 23, 2009,
Use google and go to the electric guitar thread. Please. For the love of Allah and all that is holy.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
my vote is for the les paul but thats just me i like the feel them over a strat
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
This is a well-articulated, thoughtful post that I am sure will be the seed of a fruitful discussion.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
The strat will be better for the bluesy stuff in my opinion. But for the sabbath stuff I would go les paul. Strats sound way smoother and fluid to me and if you've already got something that works for sabbath type stuff go for the strat. If it's your first guitar go for the les paul

Also Actual Gibson > Fender > Epiphone
Last edited by Pepperommi at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by Tyrus97
could you guys give some reasons to your preferences? thanks guys

For heavy blues, the Les Paul gives a much thicker and higher output sound. Also, I don't say this often, but seriously, use the fucking search bar; your question is not unique.
TBH TS, you should compare the spec sheets to understand the differences, BUT ill bite and help.

First things to note, different tonewoods.

Les Paul
= Solid Mahogany body with Set Neck
=Mahogany, really fat tone, really freaking heavy.
=Set neck = better sustain.
=Higher output pickups, you wont get the strat signature "quack"
=Rosewood neck, more suited to rock/styles which are harder than blues. Rose wood offers a slightly scooped mid section, whereas the Maple neck which "MAY" be on the stratocaster has more mids less treb/bass.

Standard American Stratocaster
= Alder Body
=Alder, lighter body, lighter tone
=Different neck scale
=lower output pickups
=bolt on neck

Strat has a less fat tone than the Les Paul
Strat has less sustain than a Les Paul
Strat has arguably better cleans than Les Paul
Strat is used MUCH more for funk, cleans etc than Les Paul
Strat is better for punk rock tones, however this entirely from audience perspective

Les Paul has higher sustain, Fatter tone.

IMHO, i would take the gibson, however given the choice, i wouldnt get either of them.
They are in general overpriced, and i can think of 3 other brands i would rather choose. These being Ibanez, Schecter and Godin.
Last edited by FarewellMemory at Jan 23, 2009,
Les Paul for sound.
Strat for Playability.

Simple as that.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
no Sess he doesn't want that.

for CR (sabbath and stuff like that ) you definatly want a LP or SG
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
in my oppinion you ought to get the les paul because its good for both heavy and blues stuff.
how about buying both a MIM Strat and an Epi LP Standard, then replace the pickups later if you feel that you need to. that way you can have both. the Black Beauty plays incredible, and i like the feel of the neck better than any gibson that i've played. it just has an extremely thick, dark tone
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
I don't like Epiphone Les Pauls but their semi-hollow guitars are great and don't cost a arm and leg. Well, choose which sound you will be playing most of the time because they are completely different guitars mostly for different styles. You can't play Metal on a Strat unless you install a high output bridge pickup and you can't mix high output and low output pickups because of a huge volume drop and it would sound crappy if you tried. Plus the Strat is made in America and our economy needs help so I would say choose that.
My opinion? Get an MIM Strat, and put some higher quality pickups in it.

Why? Because with the bridge humbucker, you can get metal tones BUT also achieve the kind of cleans you can only get with single coils.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
The Epiphone would be better for the heavier stuff but a Fender MIA is much more expensive than an Epiphone, why don't you get a reeeeeeeeeeeallly good Epiphone?
you can get closer to a les paul tone on a strat than you can get a strat tone on a les paul.

Depending on how much you have, you might want to look into a few used Gibson les pauls, old les paul studios from the early 90s can be bought for $600-$700 if you look around, they tend to be very good guitars, I've seen some old les paul classics go for $1000 or so as well. Look for good deals on these things.

Quote by FarewellMemory
TBH TS, you should compare the spec sheets to understand the differences, BUT ill bite and help.

First things to note, different tonewoods.

Les Paul
= Solid Mahogany body with Set Neck
=Mahogany, really fat tone, really freaking heavy.

=Set neck = better sustain.
=Higher output pickups, you wont get the strat signature "quack"
=Rosewood neck, more suited to rock/styles which are harder than blues. Rose wood offers a slightly scooped mid section, whereas the Maple neck which "MAY" be on the stratocaster has more mids less treb/bass.

Standard American Stratocaster
= Alder Body
=Alder, lighter body, lighter tone
=Different neck scale
=lower output pickups
=bolt on neck

Not really, a maple fretboard actually has a stiffer, brighter and a slightly more scooped tone, whereas a rosewood fretboard has a warmer, softer more midrange-y attack. I don't really see how the fretboard makes the guitar anymore suited for rock than for blues.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 23, 2009,
How about you save $200 more dollars and get an SG Standard? For the type of music you play, that would be ideal. Also, Fender's prices are going up a lot on February 1st, so if you decide to get the Strat, get it NOW.
Quote by GNRjungle87
How about you save $200 more dollars and get an SG Standard? For the type of music you play, that would be ideal. Also, Fender's prices are going up a lot on February 1st, so if you decide to get the Strat, get it NOW.

+1
Quote by GNRjungle87

I never heard this, do you know why? Thanks
Quote by Shukman_Jr
Les Paul for sound.
Strat for Playability.

Simple as that.

Pretty much.

However, a really good player can coax any sound out of a Strat.
I thought I was a Les Paul guy, but every time I went and looked at guitars in shops I ALWAYS ended up hugging a Strat when it was all said and done. Les Pauls are sexy and intriguing like the cool dude in highschool. But the Strat is capable and versitile like the nerd in highschool that grew up to become a multi millionare.
Seems like LP's r now considered "cooler" these days. What sound do u mainly want?
Bluesy might be better for Strats, and Les Paul for Ozzy, but if you were to create ur own sound what would you want? What do you play for a majority and do you like to make up your own work?
Quote by Axe Murderer
Pretty much.

However, a really good player can coax any sound out of a Strat.
I thought I was a Les Paul guy, but every time I went and looked at guitars in shops I ALWAYS ended up hugging a Strat when it was all said and done. Les Pauls are sexy and intriguing like the cool dude in highschool. But the Strat is capable and versitile like the nerd in highschool that grew up to become a multi millionare.

No you have it all mixed up, the strat is the all around student in HS, lets call him Leo, plays on the varsity basketball team, but isn't the star player, does well in his classes, but isn't a straight A student, goes to a good college, comes out a professional who makes a decent living, lower 6 figure income. He's solid and dependable.

The les paul, let's call him Orville, is the kid who grew up in Greenwich, who went to an elite preparatory school, and had his name penciled in for Yale since he was conceived, goes off to college, comes out a successful business tycoon with a network the size of the entire state of Iowa, and currently resides in Manhattan doing philanthropy work, and working as a member of the executive board for the company in which Leo works.

Now see, Leo can never be like Orville, he can dress like him, try to sound like him, and some people might be fooled, but in reality, he will never be like Orville, only an imitation, and those like Orville, will see right through it. Orville lives a life that you must be born into, and with it comes qualities that you either have, or you don't, they can't simply be acquired or learned. And likewise, Orville sees no reason to try to be like Leo, he has his own agenda.

Quote by RockAddict311
Seems like LP's r now considered "cooler" these days. What sound do u mainly want?
Bluesy might be better for Strats, and Les Paul for Ozzy, but if you were to create ur own sound what would you want? What do you play for a majority and do you like to make up your own work?

It's not just these days, actually it seems like les pauls are less cool these days compared to a lot of guitars, at least compared to the days back when everyone and their mother played a sunburst les paul (ie. 60s and 70s)
Quote by al112987
story about Leo and Orville

That story doesn't make any sense...
Fenders have been around longer than Les Pauls, they can't be trying to do what LPs are, it would have to be the other way around.
you completely missed the point. it's an analogy not about the nature of the two instruments, not a history lesson.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
That story doesn't make any sense...
Fenders have been around longer than Les Pauls, they can't be trying to do what LPs are, it would have to be the other way around.

Neither are trying to be the other. The point is, Stats get billed as "only good for blues" or whatever, but in fact they are perfectly capable for whatever application.

Quote by al112987
you completely missed the point. it's an analogy not about the nature of the two instruments, not a history lesson.

He got the point just fine. Your analogy is weak. You make it as it Les Pauls by default are inherently better, and theyre not.
Quote by GNRjungle87

I am really considering a Strat Deluxe myself soon and would like more info on this too.
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
Page 1 of 2