Why am i asking this? because im torn between the rock sound of a fender, and the ska sound and look of a les paul, but after playing on a gibson finally im now officialy torn. Or since the gibson explorer amp model on my flextone is so good, do you think that'd be enough and i could get a fender?
Ask questions if you have any

Right I almost forgot im using a flextone...seing as some of my other amps are...eh "on vacation" and won't be back for a long time. OTherwords need repairs don't have the money to do so, and im using the gibson thingy on it because i like that sound.
I play other styles though so thats why i was wondering, seing as how i like to especially play rock, and no i don't mean that nu metal ****. Gay.
Last edited by mudrock1000 at Jan 24, 2009,
It doesn't matter. If this is a guitar question, it belongs in another forum. If it's an amp question, it belongs here, but what the hell are you talking about?

If it's a guitar, it boils down to personal preference. Nothing more, nothing less.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Gibson Explorer amp model?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Isn't most ska played on fenders?
You listen to rock, your ass is goin to HELL! You listen to country western music, read your bible, you saved, your soul is saved.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Gibson Explorer amp model?

The Gibson GA-18 or GA-18T (T for tremolo) was a small combo, also labeled "explorer". I think some other amps have had the name too.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by Red-Rockabilly
Isn't most ska played on fenders?

Lots of Ska guys use Strats or Teles yeah.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
I saw Reel Big Fish sunday and the Trumpet/Guitarist played some kind of Fender Jag through a Twin. It produced the worst tone I've ever heard come from a guitar.

Tone is not that important in ska judging from that concert but you would probably be better off with a guitar that has humbuckers in it as opposed to single coils. Thomas from Streetlight manifesto was playing a Gibson hollowbody and the guy from Tip the Van was playing a high end Epiphone LP.
Sig What?
You should ask your local music dealer. Ska is regional. Ask your music store what kind of rig you need for "local ska." They know all that stuff.
I don't think that there would be a huge difference between the two if you're using a flextone. They are awesome amps'n'all but a one guitar won't sound THAT much different than the other, unless you're comparing a Gibson ES-335 with an RG loaded with SD Blackouts or something...

..which you're not
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Quote by darth awsome

Tone is not that important in ska judging from that concert but you would probably be better off with a guitar that has humbuckers in it as opposed to single coils.

What?

Anyway, it's all down to personal preference. But aas posted already, alot of ska bands uses teles.
Personally I use an Epi lp for ska, it just sounds warmer and gives a fuller tone than any tele I've played. Although it really does come down to personal preference and my general distate for Fenders.
I play an Ibanez RG loaded with a pair of Ibanez V8 and V7 and it can still nail a great trebly ska clean tone, and then it's also great for distorted sections and solo's, but i can definatly see why some people favour single coils. Just try out what you like and get what you like the best.
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

It really depends on what sub genre of ska you want to play, if you want to play the thrashy thin sounding kind of ska, use a strat style guitar with SC's.

If you want more older styles of ska, which arent as thin/ harsh sounding get a LP or any guitar with humbuckers, even a strat with a S-S-H will do for this.

You'll notice a diffrence between single coils and humbuckers!
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
ska has several different distinct sounds, for my ska tone i use my telecaster, but i love the ska tone with a les paul. try both and just see what you prefer