Hello everyone.

I have an Ampeg 8x10 cabinet, its still covered in the black tolex. There is nothing wrong with it, i am just tired of the black, and would like to paint it with my own designs and put some original artwork on it.

Is there any kind of specific paint I should use? Ive heard that Kyrylon Fusion spray paint works good on top of tolex, but, if i want to use a brush, what kind would work best, and what kind of spray paint would look best also.

Thanks.

-Will
you can buy new tolex, thats what most people do.

you can be different but you know...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Fusion would be good. Rust-Oleum for plastic works too. Maybe use some stencils?

As for brushing...I don't know of any made specifically for plastic. I'm no expert, though. Maybe you could spray some onto a palette of some sort (cardboard?) and use a brush from there?

Also, like Humanity said there's tons of places to get different-colored tolex, or even a completely different material to cover it with.
Nope, no sig here.
yeah, i know i could retolex it, but i enjoy putting the work in and painting things myself.

i always buy all white vans(shoes) and them put my artwork on them, so i figured, why not do this to my cab too.

Thanks.
Last edited by PedRoFTWkiddies at Jan 23, 2009,
I'd reccomend taking the tolex off, and then painting. That way, once you regret ruining a $1000 cab like that, you can re-tolex it.
...or, he could paint the tolex, so if he doesn't like it it can come off.
Nope, no sig here.
Don't forget to paint a port and a tweeter on the cab!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Mutant Corn
...or, he could paint the tolex, so if he doesn't like it it can come off.

Do this. I have no idea what paint is best, but this makes sense.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Posca Pens dude!

My friend Posca Penned my Bass... it works everywhere.

But, I'm guessing Painting on the Tolex, would be similar to painting on a Flat Surface.

I'm not very artsy. but, I'd say, anything would work, if it doesn't wipe it off quick!
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
acrylic paint would prolly work fairly well.
car paint would most likely work.
Really most any spray paint will work.

I would recomend taking anything that can come off off. and taping the rest. Really well. If you get crap on the cones, then they will pretty much be worthless.
Doing a crazy color on the grill would be pretty dang cool.

-Ryan