Page 1 of 2
For argument's sake, the following will be hypothetical:

Just suppose that you started a band tomorrow, wrote a decent album in three months, gained popularity in your genre and within a month later are opening for some of your favourite bands on tour.

Take a second to consider that

Next, suppose an artist whom you grew up listening to, idolised and who greatly influenced you in your music, publicly dissed you/your output in the media, though for subjective reasons, which they have the right to.

How would you react?

Example: My band makes it big with a solid album with three massive hits, and in Maynard James Keenan's next interview he calls it '****'.

I'd be devestated.

tl;dr: You get famous, and one of your heroes slings dirt your way. How do you react?
Make better music?

However, I must say that should the day come that Mastodon looks down upon me, then I'll know it's the time to end my musical career.
Last edited by goest at Jan 23, 2009,
Well, Bach is dead so he can't really say anything about my music. He might make remarks to Jesus, but hopefully Jesus won't personally get involved in this.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Why would an influence hate what you do as it'd likely be within the same genre and taking aspects of their own music and using it within yours. Sorry long sentence. But anyway I think it's a dumb hypothetical in that it wouldn't happen. Unless you were a big Oasis fan in which case it would apply.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Why would an influence hate what you do as it'd likely be within the same genre and taking aspects of their own music and using it within yours. Sorry long sentence. But anyway I think it's a dumb hypothetical in that it wouldn't happen. Unless you were a big Oasis fan in which case it would apply.

Oasis sucks anyway. They're just mad because they're gay incestuous lovers together and can't tell anybody
Quote by Le_Bunny

Well, Maynard Keenan hates Limp Bizkit's music, and there was that whole Kerry King vs Robb Flynn thing, so that's the sort of situation I'm talking about.
Dipp the singers microphone in a pot of my urine and place it back on the mic stand of his that i found it... Mauahahahah, unless it was the guitarist or bassist... then i would sand there guitar neck down and urinate on it. or dip the neck in my urine. If it was drummer i would rub my balls on there drumset, then urinate in there drum stick holder... muahahahha!
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Retire with the money you have.
HAI!

SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!SPAM! SPAM!
Well Bowie is getting on a bit, so he probably didn't hear it right
Quote by Robert_Gray
For argument's sake, the following will be hypothetical:

Just suppose that you started a band tomorrow, wrote a decent album in three months, gained popularity in your genre and within a month later are opening for some of your favourite bands on tour.

Take a second to consider that

Next, suppose an artist whom you grew up listening to, idolised and who greatly influenced you in your music, publicly dissed you/your output in the media, though for subjective reasons, which they have the right to.

How would you react?

Example: My band makes it big with a solid album with three massive hits, and in Maynard James Keenan's next interview he calls it '****'.

I'd be devestated.

tl;dr: You get famous, and one of your heroes slings dirt your way. How do you react?

sling it back and call them sellouts in my next interview and look directly into the camera and tell the world how bands like them are making their music softer just to get on the radio and how they dont really give a **** about their hardcore fans, since most of the bands I looked up to have sold out (slipknot, mudvayne, staind)
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
I'd probably agree with them to be honest, the music I make is pretentious drivel.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I would contact every magazine..
And in response to my heroes..
"Well guess who influenced me in the first place?"
Then I'll cry myself to sleep
I wouldn't make bad songs...

i'm a perfectionist, that's why it takes over three years to write one song, after a year, i'd probably toss it in the bin and start over again... result in no finished songs, ever!

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Quote by numinis
I wouldn't make bad songs...

i'm a perfectionist, that's why it takes over three years to write one song, after a year, i'd probably toss it in the bin and start over again... result in no finished songs, ever!

i like your style

beats the hell out of being Limp Bizkit
I would probably say something along the lines of "calm down cupcake, it's just music. really you're no less f'cked up than me, judging is never a fair game princess"...
But on the inside, I'd be devastated.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
I think most famous artists today are respectable enough that they wouldn't call another band's music crap.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Spoony_Bard
I think most famous artists today are respectable enough that they wouldn't call another band's music crap.

Doesn't mean your favorite artist is one of the most famous.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Well I watched a Doco on Sum41 (I think? it was a while back so i'm not 100%) & evedently they were big Oasis fans growing up, & they said that the point that they realised they had made it big was when Noel Gallager was asked what he thought of their music in an interview to which he replied "They sound like ****!"

So I guess what I'm getting at is that they were just stoked that he even knew who they were! I'd be the same!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
I'd just leave it, maybe issue a statement saying "They can think what they want, people can have different opinions", but other than that, I wouldn't do much. I sure would feel like **** though
Quote by x_thurston_x
Doesn't mean your favorite artist is one of the most famous.

That's not what I meant. I meant just in general, musicians are nicer than that to each other, especially because they've been in your/my position before. (And this is assuming all the stuff TS established is true, I just completed my first album and what not.)

Then again, UG isn't a great example of that...

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
Quote by Spoony_Bard
That's not what I meant. I meant just in general, musicians are nicer than that to each other, especially because they've been in your/my position before. (And this is assuming all the stuff TS established is true, I just completed my first album and what not.)

Then again, UG isn't a great example of that...

There are very few genuinely nice famous musicians.
That's why you should make ****ty bands your idols.
Then your idols always look up to you.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Most of my heroes are dead and the ones still alive would like me or at least respect me.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I think if Slipknot called me crap I'd cry.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
Let them have their opinion just like every other person in the world? Just because he's an amazing musician doesn't mean they have to like your music.....
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Quote by Ethanb08
Dipp the singers microphone in a pot of my urine and place it back on the mic stand of his that i found it... Mauahahahah, unless it was the guitarist or bassist... then i would sand there guitar neck down and urinate on it. or dip the neck in my urine. If it was drummer i would rub my balls on there drumset, then urinate in there drum stick holder... muahahahha!

You sure do like pissing on stuff lol
Quote by Robert_Gray
There are very few genuinely nice famous musicians.

1. I don't agree with that.
2. If they aren't nice, they should be professional enough not to sling insults.

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
Well since Led Zeppelin bashed Whitesnake for being knokoffs (which I really don't think they are) I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same to me
No means maybe
Quote by b4t3man
I think if Slipknot called me crap I'd cry.

But Slipknot are mega-crap! So to be called crap is still a step up from that!

Sorry, I'm kinda half joking! I just dont like slipknot!
*Flamesheild*
Also I really don't care what people think of my music! I only Play (& Occasionally write) stuff that I like! So if anyone doesn't like it, it doesn't matter as long as I like it!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
This basically did happen to my band, though we weren't crazy famous, nor was the person slinging crap a major influence (just to our singer)

But they were headlining, and we were on just before them. After our set their singer came up to us with a cheeky smirk and said "well, shouldn't be hard to follow that" and patted me on the shoulder. He felt for some reason that the predominantly straight-edge hardcore audience didn't like our take on progressive metal/ambient noise music.

We got a little creative after that, and spoke to the owner of the club (who we all know really well, and by chance didn't like the headliners attitude). We got her permission to spam the fuse box, rendering everything but the lights useless. So just after their sound check, during their crusty pre-recorded intro, we cut the power. They got all angry, the audience found it all hilarious.

We then offered a full refund to those patrons who felt they deserved it. Turned out about 6 out of 200 kids didn't have fun and took the money back, the rest found it all to be in good taste. We gave the headliners 40% we took 60% and the pista resistance was creatively parking our van so they couldn't get out and not answering their pleas for help.

And, just to make this longer, a week later WE got an apology from their manager for the bands behavior that night.

I found it all hilarious. In hindsight it was a little childish, but we were drunk and angry so whatever
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
take it as constructive criticism, ask them what wasn't to their taste and try to work on it if it's a legitimate problem. I doubt i'd ever really see satch/vai/bumblefoot calling someone's music **** though.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
****... that would hafto be hypothetical.... i'd be sweating bullets knowin slayer was gonna review my first album..... funny thought tho
I would get a heartattack knowing metallica was about to review my bands album.
But if they said straight out that it was **** or something like that
would seriously sit down and cry.
actually im crying a little now just by thinking about it. but im pretty tired and in a pretty bad mood.
Quote by Lars
Hey guys. What is this new amp we got today? it says M... Ma... Mars something. Marshall!!!
i think it says MG here on a little note too
Quote by Kirk

Quote by James
RUN LARS!!!

lulz
Last edited by Lirarn at Jan 24, 2009,
Page 1 of 2